29th Annual Rally Kerrville Texas June 25th-28th 2018. Video preview: click on image Image
Rally registration is now open. Second cutoff date March 31 2018. To go to rally page: click on image Image

Swivel Trailer Ball

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: Highway Rider, the2knights

ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.

Swivel Trailer Ball

Postby ghostler » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 pm

This may be a solution to trailers with standard non-swiveling hitches. Instead of replacing the trailer's receiver, replace the ball on the bike with this swiveling ball. I just found it on E-Bay and ordered it, $50 shipping included from South Carolina.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361121464608

E-Bay Swivel Trailer Ball.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100

mountaineerxii
Current bike(s): Kawasaki Voyager Xii
Kawasaki KLX 250
Buell Blast 500

Re: Swivel Trailer Ball

Postby mountaineerxii » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:23 pm

I got one too, works great!

ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.

Postby ghostler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 pm

I got feedback in another thread on caveats using such a swivel. My Harbor Freight 90153 12" wheel trailer is short coupled enough that it wants to sway at speeds about 70 mph. Thus I keep it under that. Such a swivel could cause the trailer to start slapping back and forth. Thus, I haven't really made use of it. Later, I'm thinking of going to a true swivel hitch on the trailer side.

HF Trailer w-CMA Decals2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100

trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300

Postby trikebldr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 am

Where did you get that car-top carrier to put on the trailer? Your setup is very much like the one I used for many miles in the 80's, and I loved it. Can't seem to find that style of carrier anymore. They all seem to be really long, narrow and short for better aerodynamics.
The pics show the same trailer behind two different bikes pulling the same sidecar. The carrier was an X-Cargo from Sears. Now I have a very custom trailer that cost about four times what a simple one would cost new to put together. I do have more volume now, but not by much.

ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Postby ghostler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 am

Back in 2014, I dropped by Sears shortly after purchasing my trailer chassis kit. They had the newer X-Cargo tops on display. The one that had the storage capacity of the previous model was now the middle in the line and a couple hundred bucks, very pricey. Salesman immediately spoke up, told me they had the last older display model in the back that was just removed, if I were interested, he'd make me a deal. I bought it for $70 tax included, plus it came with several left over hardware kits. I was a happy camper.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”