Electric Trailer Brakes?

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 116 times

Electric Trailer Brakes?

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I may be purchasing a Time Out this weekend that has electric brakes on it. It's wired with a 6 pole rectangular plug, my bike is 4 pin flat. So I know already I'll have to do some rewiring.
My question is this, when I get a brake controller and install it should it be ran through a relay?
That might sound dumb to some but I've never done anything other than splice in the Hoppy's Trailer wiring (4 pin). At this point I barely have any idea of what to do let alone how to.
I've read where some guys have the controller installed on the trailer (not on the bike), they get it set and just leave it.
I tried contacting Time-Out but they haven't responded, I know I'm not buying new but I thought they would be kind enough to share basic information (nothing proprietary).
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Electric Trailer Brakes?

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Well, my first comment, with only concern, not criticism, would be that ANY trailer that requires electric brakes shouldn't be towed with a motorcycle. Electric brakes can easily pull 12 amps, and requires a separate dedicated wire. Yes, you would need to use a relay triggered by your current brake light wire. You would also need relays for your other running lights, unless you changed your lights out with LED units, assuming your trailer doesn't have them now. You may or may not need a converter, depending if your trailer uses independent turn and brake lights or not. With your admirable admission of limited knowledge on this subject, my best advice would be to take it to a TRULY knowledgeable individual to have this work done. Best wishes!
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”