Pulled the trigger so I can pull a Time Out

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 116 times

Pulled the trigger so I can pull a Time Out

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Well after dragging my lovely wife for a 7+ hour round trip yesterday to see/inspect a used (New to me 2007) Time Out we bought it. It's used but still in good condition and will sever us well I'm sure.
It has two cracks in the front fiberglass piece and the carpet needs some cleaning but over all I can't complain. Electric brakes (which I will need help with), A/C stand if I ever need, 2 chairs and table (which I could do without and use what I already have), swivel hitch coupler (again not a deal maker but nice), spare tire and LED lights.
So I'm open to suggestions and recommendations from others who have or had a Time Out, anything I need to watch/focus on? Certain quirks or areas of concern....etc!

Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Pulled the trigger so I can pull a Time Out

Post by HMB Don »

Scott

Very nice Time Out, Trisha and I have a 2005 model looks just like your's. I've pulled it to all of the AVA Rallys since 2005, this year it's staying home. We have over 50,000 towing miles on the Time Out, I'm on the third set of tires. I towed it over Independence Pass (12,100) with the Voyager 1200 no problem.

What I've modifyed

I installed an electric cooler 40 quart. Had to move the plastic cover forward to get the cooler to fit, plus a new bracket.
Installed a sheet of diamond plate on top, creating a luggage rack
Upgraded to LED tail lights from Time Out
Swivel Hitch

I also pack the wheel bearings every year, doesn't matter how many miles it traveled the previous year. I use Amsoil bearing grease.
I run 50 lbs in the tires, helps the Voyager 1200, with mpg. Which is between 39 and 43 mpg on a very good day. 65 mph but has seen the ton.
Loaded it weighs about 450 lbs I have no trailer brakes, so the Voyager 1200 has Stainless Steel Brake lines, EBC front rotors with EBC F85HH pads. Before Trisha got her Trike we would ride double. When I retired the 1200 the ODO was 172,000 miles.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
AVA boardmember
Voyager 1700
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

Scott, Congrats!! Looks like you got a good pulling rig. Time Outs are really a fine rig . Best advice I can give you is to pack it up and & unpack it in your yard before you hit the road and figure out what you really need and do not need. (Hint: write it down) Figuring out how to pack it quick & easy before is the best way to start out. Big thing for camping, I have found is, "Painter thin poly drop cloths" they are about .25ea for a 9'x12' (many different sizes). You can carry several and toss them when you are done. I used them for covering the roof (attached by clothes pins or the litttle spring paper clips) To keep the dew & crap off the roof for packing in the morning DRY. Also use them for storing items under trailer while camping, Also a carpet or tarp outside the tent area to keep it clean inside. They all store easy.. ALSO practice pulling it on a short trip before you go, to get the feel of it!!!. They are all different, but very easy to pull. I really enjoyed my trailer for many years!!! Until wife discovered the "room service" & "do not disturb" sign on a hotel room LOL!!
doug of no fla
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 0

Post by kjsett »

Was very interested in getting a camping trailer last year, then found out we had to move our school. That put the stop to any plans for other than quick trips to see my dad before and after he passed last July.
Anyway, just sayin if anyone hears of a trailer that will hold two (way to) large people (queen bed minimum) let me know.
I really do prefer one that has or can be set up with A/C (live in the desert SW) and has the entrance area set up rather than a tarp on the ground. Electric brakes, desired, but not required.
Basically, I would love to have the RV environment, but that can be pulled behind a motorcycle. :Cball
We camped the first year of the bikes, but I personally found that I don't like getting up and down from ground level anymore. I could go a regular trailer as my Dodge diesel PU has pulled up to 35ft trailers before, but then the bikes would have to stay home (no, I don't want to pull the bikes in the back of a Toy hauler, again, I like to see the country from the back of a bike). :wnk2:
Thanks for listening,
Ken
PS. Cost is a real issue, so new or even near new isn't likely to happen. Actually, this maybe wishful thinking, but a guy can hope.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”