Mileage loss with trailer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

dcmrn1959
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Mileage loss with trailer

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Recently completed a trip with a trailer. First time ever with a trailer. Experienced a significant drop in mileage, about 10 to 15 mpg drop. Depending on wind. My questions are 1. is this about the norm? 2. It is not streamlined just a flat bed with a big tub on it, does streamlining help? 3. Does the speed I'm driving have a significant impact? any info is great as I've never pulled a trailer before. Thanks Dan
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Re: Mileage loss with trailer

Post by kjsett »

dcmrn1959 wrote:Recently completed a trip with a trailer. First time ever with a trailer. Experienced a significant drop in mileage, about 10 to 15 mpg drop. Depending on wind. My questions are 1. is this about the norm? 2. It is not streamlined just a flat bed with a big tub on it, does streamlining help? 3. Does the speed I'm driving have a significant impact? any info is great as I've never pulled a trailer before. Thanks Dan
I have a clamshell trailer and it drops me between 8 to 12mph. Speed affects it more than anything but drag if you tie things on it can definitely drop your mileage. I put a wheelbarrow on it and my usual of 45mpg (no trailer), 35mpg (w/trailer) dropped to 28mpg (weight was high and a lot of drag on the freeway). Drag affects more at speed and weight more in the hills.
Here in the west, because of long distance between gas, I carry 3/4g (1 gallon can, with space for expansion) of gas mounted on the back bumper of the trailer. I started doing this when I didn't have a working reserve light and twice showed only 2/10 of a gallon left (filled 5.9g). It works now (replaced sender this winter). I have yet to add to my bike from it, but I have done so on the last trip to my wifes bike as she gets from 160 to 190m on a tank (4g tank, 55mpg) but we don't ever try to get that close.
Her bike started acting like it was out of gas and when we checked she still had 2 gallons left.
Reading forums, I think her vent in her cap wasn't working. I just cleaned it so hope that is fixed now.
Enjoy your trailer. I prefer to travel without it as I enjoy the bike more, but I take too much along for more than a weekender, so I take it for longer trips. Plus out here in the west we encounter such varied conditions that we take 2 helmets each (1/2 and a full face) and I usually take a guitar along.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

I used to have bad mileage until I redone the suspension on our trailer and could run the higher tire pressure. now its only about 180 miles to the empty mark instead of 200 miles. I can live with losing just 20miles per tankful pulling a trailer. I ran out to Page AZ. to pick up my wife at that airport in four days at superslab speeds of 75~85mph the whole way. The faster you go will drop your MPG but tire pressure will also affect it. If your suspension can handle the roads with the recommeded air pres in the tires the better off the MPG will get.
Gene and Marie Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
vxiirider
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 1800 Goldwing Trike
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by vxiirider »

With our triked Voyager we will get 35 to 38 MPG riding two up. We have an all aluminum Mini Trailer that the title weight empty is 200# according to the manufacturer. Do not consider that too bad since the Voyager now weighs 1000# by itself.
John Ramsay
Charlotte, Michigan
'02 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike
It's the journey, not the destination
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

kjsett wrote: I have a clamshell trailer and it drops me between 8 to 12mph. Speed affects it more than anything but drag if you tie things on it can definitely drop your mileage. I put a wheelbarrow on it and my usual of 45mpg (no trailer), 35mpg (w/trailer) dropped to 28mpg (weight was high and a lot of drag on the freeway). Drag affects more at speed and weight more in the hills.

Been a while. This is from my trip to Washington state then on to Colorado Springs, CO. This was the morning Harley and I left for home (last week in April 2012) with my wheelbarrow my brother-in-law had borrowed.
I would have thought it was more aerodynamic with its upside down wing like shape. :bat:
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Gene hit a key point. If you get 45 or + at about 70 mph, don't think you will get that with a trailer on. Drop your cruising speed down about 5 mph and your mpg loss will be minimized.

I used to get about 45 on my '94 with two up and no trailer. With my Aspen Classic camper it would drop to about 33mpg. If I tried to maintain a 70-75 mph speed, it could drop to 25mpg. So back off the speed and you will keep some more of your mpg.

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
dcmrn1959

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Once again a big thanks to everyone. That is all very helpful info. Dan
dcmrn1959

Post by dcmrn1959 »

By the way kjsett how did you train Harley to ride? Im looking for a dog and was wondering how I would train it. Dan
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

dcmrn1959 wrote:By the way kjsett how did you train Harley to ride? Im looking for a dog and was wondering how I would train it. Dan
Trained, not really, he rides in a dog bag on the faux tank. Unfortunately he is now pushing 17 and doesn't like being cooped up in the bag that well anymore.
I saw a bag that was like a sissy bar mount behind the driver. Don't know what brand, but I think if you aren't riding 2 up that it would give the dog more room.
Just have to search on line for one. Motorcycle Dog Carrier turned up a few, here's one example:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/632-689 ... Qgodsi0AmA
Mine was less expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Sport-B ... motorcycle
except mine is orange and grey. You have to buy the motorcycle tank pad connector and I also added the rain cover. You can see it just in front of me on the tank in the picture.

Make sure you get one with more than extra room. If you travel long distances like i do, he/she needs a little extra. Most of the time he travels with his head out so we also got him a pair of "Doggles" for his eyes (he doesn't like them, but they are sunglasses basically).
Young dog will adapt best, but I wouldn't try it with a puppy.
Enjoy :thmup:
dcmrn1959

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Thanks again. Dan
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello Ken, Looking at your pic, I see you have alot of safety chain hanging. My concern with that would be that with so much chain, if your hitch did ever come off , the nose could drop to the pavement, and second , trying to stop after it came off the darn thing would have enough chain to come up onto your rear tire. Causing even more problems. I have had several people show me the right and safe way to safty chain the trailer in a criss-cross fashion with enough slack to make full turns and being crossed , too cradle the hitch and not let it drop to the road or have enough to get up to the rear tire. Hope some more will chime in with this issue. Gene and Marie Kap.

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Thanks for all of the posts

I've been pulling a Time Out Trailer since 2005, the Time Out has been to every rally since. When I had my 1200 Voyager I just kept the speedo at 65 mph, but MPG was 40. With the new 1700 Voyager, on the way to Kanab last year I tried 70 mph and wow, 30 mpg. Slowed to 65 mph and the MPG came up to 35. The good thing about the slower speed is that Tire life is much better.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
AVA Boardmember
2012 Voyager 1700
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Probably a little late to help much, but I've been pulling a ASpen Sentry for a couple of years. Certainly the weight has much to do with mileage. How it's loaded, balanced, tire pressure, the whole smash. I've had as little as 28 mpg and up to 42 mpg. Weight was a big factor. I dragged the camper in cross winds with 35 mph sustained speeds and gusts up to 45 mph.

Worst mileage was riding 2 up with the camper overloaded. Best mileage was open highway, 1 up, with the camper minimally loaded.

Aspen weighs in at about 350 lbs empty. Loaded add another 100 lbs. Loaded with wife's stuff, add another 100 lbs. That's a lot to haul.

I am looking to sell the Aspen just for weight savings and go old school. Back to a tent (albeit a cabin tent) but after figuring all the weights of the equipment and minimal supplies, I can cut the towed weight down by almost half.

So, if anyone know of someone looking, It's in the classified section.

-- JD

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”