Wiring for a trailer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Wiring for a trailer

Post by usmalenurse »

Okay....I bit the bullet and bought a trailer to pull behind the bike just in case I get to go to the Rally in Colorado this year. Going to get the Marvella's hitch but my main concern is the wiring. The trailer is already wired up with the 4-pin plug and just wondering if there is a "best place" to tie in the wiring to run to the rear of the bike? I've misplaced my CD for the Voyager manual but can pull up the wiring diagram from here but just wondering where the best spot is to tie into the circuit. Appreciate any information and tips....and thanks!
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Wiring for a trailer

Post by chevyman1 »

You can tie in under the trunk, If the trailer is 4 wire you will need the 5 to 4 wire converter.
:thmup:
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 0

Post by kjsett »

chevyman1 wrote:You can tie in under the trunk, If the trailer is 4 wire you will need the 5 to 4 wire converter.
My bike came with the Hopkins converter (5 to 4wire) when I bought it. My trailer is a standard 5 wire, so I just tied in wires ahead of the converter and left the 4 wire connector up and out of the way. I have already had an occasion where that came in handy to pull another persons trailer. Most of the time I use the 5 wire (actually a 6 pin round jack) to power my trailer and the cooler rack I occasionally use when trailer is not needed (especially when I have to go to California - 55mph max for any trailer).
I use the 6th wire as an auxiliary to power a dome light inside the trailer lid (fused and switched). Anyway, they had mounted it under the trunk, just behind the seat.
Enjoy.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
2016 Honda Goldwing

Post by usmalenurse »

chevyman1 wrote:You can tie in under the trunk, If the trailer is 4 wire you will need the 5 to 4 wire converter.
So there is already a 5 wire connector or plug under the trunk or are you talking about splicing the wires?
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member

Post by chevyman1 »

You will have to splice in but if you are not in a hurry I am looking into making a harness to just plug in between, should have something by early March

1990 Voyager XII
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

I am not a fan of Scotch-lok wire splicers, but they make a connector that you fold over a existing wire and when it snaps together it forms the female end of a blade connector & the male comes in the package with it. Napa and most auto parts stores have them. I have used them for years and many miles and never had a problem with them, unlike the blue square ones that fail a lot.. There are other connectors that will screw or snap together for your use also. Reason I say use this type, because it makes it easy to unplug unit in case you have a problem or wish to make a change. Makes maintanence easier.. Keep it simple you do not want to create a electrical problem on the XII Yikes!!! :bat:
doug of no fla
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
2016 Honda Goldwing

Post by usmalenurse »

chevyman1 wrote:You will have to splice in but if you are not in a hurry I am looking into making a harness to just plug in between, should have something by early March

Definitely not in a hurry....just hope to have it ready by mid-May or so. Just exploring the options right now. Still need to install a trailer hitch and a few minor adjustments on the trailer itself but the wiring is my biggest concern.
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
2016 Honda Goldwing

Post by usmalenurse »

Have got the trailer wiring together now and everything seems to be working fine with the test light. I tied into the harness under the seat so I'd have more room to work. I'm adding an accessory fuse block while I'm messing with it. Just got one of those universal 6 circuit blocks from Advance auto but I'm adding a relay so it will be switched. Question about the size of fuses to use in the block. All my accessories have inline fuses in them and I was going to eliminate them and just go with the one fuse in the block. Is this the best option or would I be better off to leave the inline fuses as well?? If I do eliminate the inline fuse is it safe to say I'd just use the same size fuse in the block... ie; 7.5 inline fuse = 7.5 amp in the fuse block. Thanks in advance...
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member

Post by chevyman1 »

chevyman1 wrote:You will have to splice in but if you are not in a hurry I am looking into making a harness to just plug in between, should have something by early March

I have plug and play harnesses to wire in trailer and fender tail light.
PM me if you are interested.
:thmup: :thmup:
1990 Voyager XII
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
2016 Honda Goldwing

Post by usmalenurse »

Already got the wires spliced in so I'm good to go right now but thanks. Got the fuse box hooked up and all is well right now. Just got to get the bike back in one piece so I can hook the trailer up and make sure everything is working like it supposed to. Driving lights and heated gear work fine and that's all I've got hooked up to the fuse box right now. Finally don't have to worry about leaving the driving lights on and running down the battery.... :thmup:
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”