Trailer hitches

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

KawiGuy
Current bike(s): 2014 Voyager
2007 KLR650
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailer hitches

Post by KawiGuy »

Is there any consensus here about the different trailer hitches available for the 1700 Voyager? I have a Hitch-Doc on my '04 Nomad and like it so I'm thinking of going with one of those for my Voyager but thought I'd check with you guys first.
What do you think?
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Trailer hitches

Post by debron »

I have a Hitch Doc on my '95. What I like about the vertical receiver is that it is out of sight when the stinger is removed. However, if you're ever going to put anything into the receiver (I don't know what) everything is made for a horizontal receiver. I don't tow a trailer, the only thing I use mine for is a cooler/luggage rack.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 0

Re: Trailer hitches

Post by kjsett »

My '03 bike came with a Marvella's receiver hitch. Works great. Pulled trailers probably 15 to 20k in 3 1/2 years. One was a Kwik Kamp that was too heavy, but it worked for 4500 miles. I also have a cooler rack that I have taken on a couple of trips (didn't need the trailer and in California that slows you to 55mph)
Back to my 4x5 clamshell that I just had the tongue lengthened 16" and a cooler rack installed (it will be at the KOA at Estes).
Hoping this winter to finally get the paint work done on both bikes, but not in time for this years trips.
Enjoy,
Ken
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”