Swivel Trailer Ball

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Swivel Trailer Ball

Post by ghostler »

This may be a solution to trailers with standard non-swiveling hitches. Instead of replacing the trailer's receiver, replace the ball on the bike with this swiveling ball. I just found it on E-Bay and ordered it, $50 shipping included from South Carolina.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361121464608
E-Bay Swivel Trailer Ball.jpg
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
mountaineerxii
Current bike(s): Kawasaki Voyager Xii
Kawasaki Concours
Kawasaki KLX 250
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Swivel Trailer Ball

Post by mountaineerxii »

I got one too, works great!
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.

Post by ghostler »

I got feedback in another thread on caveats using such a swivel. My Harbor Freight 90153 12" wheel trailer is short coupled enough that it wants to sway at speeds about 70 mph. Thus I keep it under that. Such a swivel could cause the trailer to start slapping back and forth. Thus, I haven't really made use of it. Later, I'm thinking of going to a true swivel hitch on the trailer side.
HF Trailer w-CMA Decals2.jpg
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Been liked: 1 time

Post by trikebldr »

Where did you get that car-top carrier to put on the trailer? Your setup is very much like the one I used for many miles in the 80's, and I loved it. Can't seem to find that style of carrier anymore. They all seem to be really long, narrow and short for better aerodynamics.
The pics show the same trailer behind two different bikes pulling the same sidecar. The carrier was an X-Cargo from Sears. Now I have a very custom trailer that cost about four times what a simple one would cost new to put together. I do have more volume now, but not by much.
Attachments
Honda GW Texas trip - Copy (2).JPG
Kaw Voyager and sidecar - Copy.JPG
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by ghostler »

Back in 2014, I dropped by Sears shortly after purchasing my trailer chassis kit. They had the newer X-Cargo tops on display. The one that had the storage capacity of the previous model was now the middle in the line and a couple hundred bucks, very pricey. Salesman immediately spoke up, told me they had the last older display model in the back that was just removed, if I were interested, he'd make me a deal. I bought it for $70 tax included, plus it came with several left over hardware kits. I was a happy camper.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials
Been liked: 0

Post by Pure Pork »

I have a friend that has run a bike shop all his life in Kirkwood, IL and his advice when setting up the trailer to pull was to extend the tongue to twice the distance between the tires. He pulls a "party" trailer behind his Moto Guzzi that weighs about 1,000 lbs. It holds a keg of beer, has a refrigerator for food, a lp grill for cooking, and the top is the right height for standing around for conversation. He had to put elec brakes on it as it pushed him too much trying to stop.
1985 Beast
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by ghostler »

Thanks, Pure Pork for the bit of info. I don't think my trailer tongue is twice the wheel distance.

Was at Harbor Freight last week, noticed that by the trailers they had a sign stating that trailer sales have been suspended until certain DOT defects were resolved, no notice on when trailer sales would resume. This also explains why no trailers are currently listed on their website.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

ghostler wrote:Thanks, Pure Pork for the bit of info. I don't think my trailer tongue is twice the wheel distance.

Was at Harbor Freight last week, noticed that by the trailers they had a sign stating that trailer sales have been suspended until certain DOT defects were resolved, no notice on when trailer sales would resume. This also explains why no trailers are currently listed on their website.
Was that nation wide DOT, or state wide DOT?

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by ghostler »

hank43 wrote:Was that nation wide DOT, or state wide DOT? hank43
I believe that is nationwide. Go to https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... cycle.html and take a look for yourself. If you see trailer kits, then let me know.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100
Bulrid8
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1986 Voyager xii

Post by Bulrid8 »

Just FYI, HF has started selling trailers again. The problem was the tires not meeting DOT standards.
What sucks is they no longer carry the true tag a long trailers. They do have the small utility trailers still.
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by ghostler »

They have 2 folding trailer kits for car tow. The trailers all have the 12" rim tires. The trailers with 8" are not available.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

1971 Honda CB100
Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Danger4u2 »

I'm not to keen on the swivel ball. Doesn't look like it will have much resistance once it's used a while.
I pulled a dirt bike on a small motorcycle trailer behind my '02 Gen. 1 Concours. If I leaned too far I could
feel the pressure on the ball from the coupler. I was lucky to find a Swivel Safe for $45 dollars. Man they want some
real money for them now. I don't think the person on eBay knew what it was worth. It was buy it now for $45.
I never did install it on the trailer but I will with the Voyager once I get everything in order on the bike.
http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/swivel-hitches
https://kompactkamptrailers.ecwid.com/# ... y=12204275

Looks like it didn't like the vertical phone pic.
Attachments
Swivel Safe.jpg
KX500 is Danger4u2
Go faster than everyone, you only have to look forward.
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200

Post by Pure Pork »

I don't post here often lately. In 2013, I put a Tow-Pac add on trike kit on my 97 Vulcan classic 1500 and in 2015, found another Tow-Pac kit used on ebay off a H-D and put that on my Voyager 1300. I don't have to worry about towing my pod trailer now. Very stable with the extra wheels but had to adjust speed going into corners and such. This trike kit is a bolt on, and removing 3 bolts, it converts back to 2 wheels. I will soon reach 72, in May, and I do have issues with my knees and left hip. Pulling a trailer with the trike kit is a breeze. Happy riding to all.
1985 Beast
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Me Again »

Pure Pork wrote:I don't post here often lately. In 2013, I put a Tow-Pac add on trike kit on my 97 Vulcan classic 1500 and in 2015, found another Tow-Pac kit used on ebay off a H-D and put that on my Voyager 1300. I don't have to worry about towing my pod trailer now. Very stable with the extra wheels but had to adjust speed going into corners and such. This trike kit is a bolt on, and removing 3 bolts, it converts back to 2 wheels. I will soon reach 72, in May, and I do have issues with my knees and left hip. Pulling a trailer with the trike kit is a breeze. Happy riding to all.
Not to get to far off the topic but.
I would be interested in knowing how you fit an HD towpac to a 1300 . Did you buy a bracket or make your own.
me again
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200

Post by Pure Pork »

Me Again wrote:
Pure Pork wrote:I don't post here often lately. In 2013, I put a Tow-Pac add on trike kit on my 97 Vulcan classic 1500 and in 2015, found another Tow-Pac kit used on ebay off a H-D and put that on my Voyager 1300. I don't have to worry about towing my pod trailer now. Very stable with the extra wheels but had to adjust speed going into corners and such. This trike kit is a bolt on, and removing 3 bolts, it converts back to 2 wheels. I will soon reach 72, in May, and I do have issues with my knees and left hip. Pulling a trailer with the trike kit is a breeze. Happy riding to all.
Not to get to far off the topic but.
I would be interested in knowing how you fit an HD towpac to a 1300 . Did you buy a bracket or make your own.
me again
When I put the Tow-Pac extra wheels kit for my vulcan classic I also bought the brackets for the Voyager. I had visions of swapping the kit back and forth since there are only 3 bolts to loosen to take the kit off. However, I found that the set-up from one to the other was so time intense, I searched and found that used kit on ebay. Now I can take whichever one is good to go.
1985 Beast

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”