Sore thighs

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

schlappy95
Current bike(s): Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sore thighs

Post by schlappy95 »

Hello all, firstly I apologize if this has been discussed before but I have searched quite bit for any topics on my issue. I just bought a 2013 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 and absolutely love it. However, I have found that that width of the seat and tank makes the insides of my thighs sore. The butt and tailbone are ok, just the thighs. I can't exactly flat foot with the bike, heels are up a bit but that doesn't bother me too much. The seat and bike is stock, no mods. Has anyone else had this problem and how did they alleviate it? I really don't want to lower the bike and sacrifice ground clearance and my wife and I are not exactly lightweights. Has anyone solved this issue with a different seat or something? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Sore thighs

Post by Mr Jensee »

My guess is that you are experiencing the same thing that happens when horse riding. I believe the more you ride the bike the less pain you will have in your thighs. Also I suggest get used to drinking lots of water when you ride. The soreness you are experiencing is lactic acid that builds up in muscle tissue. Drinking lots of water, not sugar drinks will help wash that out.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
schlappy95

Post by schlappy95 »

That's good advice, I will try that. Thank you.
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

If all else fails, change the seat. I weigh in at 220 lbs, and I found that the seat would completely compress down to the frame, making long distance riding a nightmare. Replaced with custom built seat from Corbin, problem resolved. There are other seats as well on the market also.
hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
schlappy95

Post by schlappy95 »

Ok, I will keep riding for a few weeks and see if it gets any better. If not then I guess I will consider a different seat. Thank you.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Sclappy, you might take note when you ride whether or not your legs are hugging the tank. A lot of people including myself have done this out of habit. This doesn't bother you when you ride a bike with a narrow tank but a wide one is likely to cause the soreness out of fatigue of the thigh muscles from clasping the tank. I have found over the years that I was subconsciously using my legs to hug the tank instead of just relaxing them. I think this could be what you are experiencing. Try to remember to just relax your legs while riding. The Voyager XII has the widest (faux) tank I have ever had. I experienced this too when I first got it. This may also help. Just a thought.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
dwhite815
Current bike(s): 2010 Kawasaki Vpysger 1700
1985 Gold Wing ,voyager trike

Post by dwhite815 »

I think I hug the tank only had my 2010 a few days. Sore here also.

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”