Wider windshields or windshield wings

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

stevejinde
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki KZ750
Kawasaki ZL1000
Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Kawasaki VN800A
Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200 B7
Kawasaki ZG1200 B7 Naked bike...
Kawasaki GTR1000 Concours
Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wider windshields or windshield wings

Post by stevejinde »

Having often to ride in rain, I've started to note the 1700 Voyagers fairing (cowl) design shortcomings. With my previous bikes (GTR1000 Concours and ZG1200 Voyager) sure I got my gloves wet but not to the degree I do on the 1700. Also my legs. now I've been riding bikes for about 44 years in all weather and I'm not afraid of getting wet,after all you just need the right clothing, right? But as I get older it just becomes more irritating. so what I'm looking for is either a wider windshield or windshield wings. However I cannot find anything on the internet. So does anyone know of anything like that? And how about something for between the the fairing and the lowers?
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Wider windshields or windshield wings

Post by Mr Jensee »

After market companies like Clearview can make the windshield custom to what you want in height and width. As for the lower sections I haven't a clue what it might take to keep you dry there. You might want to look into modifying the brush guards that cover the clutch and break levers on some off road and dual purpose bikes. Necessity is after all the mother of invention.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Wider windshields or windshield wings

Post by HMB Don »

I've seen those windshield extensions, the last time was at Americade this past June 2017. So they are out there.

The gap between the upper and lower fairing I've seen different ways of solving this problem and I didn't care for any of them. So here is what I did, I found some foam from an electronic box. I cut out a piece of foam and stuffed it in between the upper and lower fairing. I've refined the foam since this picture. I now have it so that it's snug against the fuel tank (keep water and cold air from my knees). The part of the foam that is between the fairings is angled so that the when air flows around it, it flows out away from my knees. What is nice is that when entering a bike show I can remove the foam, I carry sandwich bags to store the foam in my saddle bags.
P5010103 foam.JPG
This picture was taken in 2012
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”