1700 KAWASAKI GENUINE ACCESSORIES EVALUATIONS

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: KAWASAKI GENUINE ACCESSORIES EVALUATIONS

Post by veeger »

Just had the rear speakers installed. Not only do they sound great - the dealer put my 2011 Voyager next to a 2012 Wing with 4-speaker stereo and blew the Wing's away for volume and clarity - but Kawasaki did a helluva job with putting leather looking material on the outside. Matches the texture of the pillion backrest. Wasn't expecting that. Brackets etc. are very good.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

veeger wrote:Looks like you mounted some passenger grab rails on the red bike. I couldn't find them in the OEM accessories. They look great. Where'd you get them?

Hello veeger. The red bike is mine. Marv at http://www.marvellas.com makes some special accessories for the Voyager 1700. Unfortunately the passenger grab rails won't work with the rear speakers on the bike.
2010 Voyager 1700
veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700

Post by veeger »

Thanks Marv. My occasional pillion has a tendency to hold onto the speakers! Will check out your website. Thanks, again.

Bruce
bamabikerdoc
Current bike(s): 2010 Voyager ABS

Post by bamabikerdoc »

I recently installed the CB radio kit. The info and pictures provided here were very helpful. I had some additional comments or details from my install that I thought might be helpful to others.
1. The black push-in plugs that must be removed to get into the lower front fairing and to remove the bottom of the trunk can be removed in one of two ways. If you can get to the back side of the plug, you can use a flat object like a screwdriver to push up the pin in the center, and then the plug will come out easily. If you can not get to the back of the plug, as is the case with the trunk lining, you can use the point of a knife to lift the center plug, thus loosening the plug.
2. I did not completely remove the gas tank. I removed the two bolts at the rear of the tank (under the seat) which allows you to lift the tank a little. I then took a piece of single strand electrical wire and ran it under the tank from the back to the front. I used that to pull the antenna wire back under the tank.
3. In order to get the CB plug into the upper fairing, you need to loosen one bolt near the opening. That bolt faces the center of the bike. A 3mm Allen wrench will fit it.
4. The instructions basically want you to remove the trunk and all the chrome on the left side of the trunk in order to mount the bracket under the seat that holds the plug to the helmet. I found that you only need to remove about 3 Phillips screws and 3 Allen screws (again 3mm) in the chrome so that you can pull it out enough to insert the mount and bolt into the bracket under the seat.

This is my first CB, and it works excellant. I am very glad that I got the Kawasaki plug in kit rather than an aftermarket. I ride with several others who have CBs, and this has added greatly to the fun and safety of our rides. I highly recommend it.
shemogolee
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by shemogolee »

Hi All,

I'm going to install the CB radio kit on my 2011 Voyager. But I need to know how the speakers will mount inside my helmet (glue, velcro, ??) and I need to know how the boom mike attaches to the helmet (clamp, velcro, glue ??). I'm in the process of buying a new helmet (BMW System 6 EVO) and want to make sure that the boom mike, speakers and helmet are compatible prior to buying the helmet.

I'm having trouble getting the information from Kawasaki so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Shemogolee
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

shemogolee wrote:Hi All,

I'm going to install the CB radio kit on my 2011 Voyager. But I need to know how the speakers will mount inside my helmet (glue, velcro, ??) and I need to know how the boom mike attaches to the helmet (clamp, velcro, glue ??). I'm in the process of buying a new helmet (BMW System 6 EVO) and want to make sure that the boom mike, speakers and helmet are compatible prior to buying the helmet.

I'm having trouble getting the information from Kawasaki so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Shemogolee
Hello Shemogolee. Welcome to the AVA forum. The mic is attached to the cable and the cable plugs into the bracket mounted on the helmet. The bracket mounts by having two parts. One that slips into the helmet and the outside part that the cable plugs into. They are screwed together to form a clamp on the helmet.

You can see the parts here. http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew/Acc ... goryID=192

If you click on the Rider Comm Kit, you can download the instructions with photos.
2010 Voyager 1700
shemogolee
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by shemogolee »

David,

Thanks for the information and the link. It is just what I'm looking for. The BMW people say the System 6 EVO helmet will not work with a "clamp" because of the neck roll but I'll go back and have one more look.

regards,

Shemogolee
fehorse
Current bike(s): Voyager 2010 ABS

Post by fehorse »

bamabikerdoc wrote:I recently installed the CB radio kit. The info and pictures provided here were very helpful. I had some additional comments or details from my install that I thought might be helpful to others.
1. The black push-in plugs that must be removed to get into the lower front fairing and to remove the bottom of the trunk can be removed in one of two ways. If you can get to the back side of the plug, you can use a flat object like a screwdriver to push up the pin in the center, and then the plug will come out easily. If you can not get to the back of the plug, as is the case with the trunk lining, you can use the point of a knife to lift the center plug, thus loosening the plug.
2. I did not completely remove the gas tank. I removed the two bolts at the rear of the tank (under the seat) which allows you to lift the tank a little. I then took a piece of single strand electrical wire and ran it under the tank from the back to the front. I used that to pull the antenna wire back under the tank.
3. In order to get the CB plug into the upper fairing, you need to loosen one bolt near the opening. That bolt faces the center of the bike. A 3mm Allen wrench will fit it.
4. The instructions basically want you to remove the trunk and all the chrome on the left side of the trunk in order to mount the bracket under the seat that holds the plug to the helmet. I found that you only need to remove about 3 Phillips screws and 3 Allen screws (again 3mm) in the chrome so that you can pull it out enough to insert the mount and bolt into the bracket under the seat.

This is my first CB, and it works excellant. I am very glad that I got the Kawasaki plug in kit rather than an aftermarket. I ride with several others who have CBs, and this has added greatly to the fun and safety of our rides. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the info. I'm about to install the CB and headsets and was trying to avoid removing the fairing. Also, can I get to the back of the radio without removing the fairing? I want to install the hook up for my GPS.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I was able to do my CB installation with out removing the fairing. Just go slow, you will have to remove the left glove box and the fuel tank.

Good Luck
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
jjamison
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Re: 1700 KAWASAKI GENUINE ACCESSORIES EVALUATIONS

Post by jjamison »

Where can you buy the trunk racks shown in this thread?

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”