Horn Button

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Marinebiker1700
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Horn Button

Post by Marinebiker1700 »

Hi out there in Voyager Land. Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with the location of the horn button? I've had my '13 1700 since May 2013. It is a great bike and a joy to ride. I have average size hands and I find it to be a pain in the A** to reach the horn if the situation arises, and I live in Los Angeles...So it does!!! I have to totally remove my hand to even reach it.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Ralph
Ozymandias
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2010 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Horn Button

Post by Ozymandias »

I agree. The position is so bad that for all practical purposes I operate as though I don't even have a horn. If I have the time to look for it I can reach it without removing my hand, but it's quite a stretch. If I try to honk it without watching I usually hit something else by mistake - most often the dimmer switch. In any case, the sound of the stock horn is pretty pathetic.
1975 Goldwing (found a good home for it)
2003 Nomad 1500 (traded for the Voyager)
2010 Voyager 1700
Marinebiker1700
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS

Post by Marinebiker1700 »

Agree 100%. Kawasaki has sent me numerous "owner surveys" and I have mentioned it on every one. All they really need to do is swap the horn button and high beam switch. I've just learned to "vocalize" my feelings. And also sneak up on their passenger side and fold in the side mirror!!!
mikey
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 kaw voyager 1200

Post by mikey »

Marinebiker1700 wrote:Agree 100%. Kawasaki has sent me numerous "owner surveys" and I have mentioned it on every one. All they really need to do is swap the horn button and high beam switch. I've just learned to "vocalize" my feelings. And also sneak up on their passenger side and fold in the side mirror!!!
you might get ran over doing it that way :cry2:
Superdave54
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager
1980 Goldwing Standard

Post by Superdave54 »

I find yelling works a lot better. And, it's way more manly sounding than that wimpy little "toot" that comes out of the stock horn.

Doesn't work so good with my helmet visor down. Spit droplets all over the inside, and nobody can hear me.
"Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".
jimmarby
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700

Post by jimmarby »

Think you've got it tough? My left thumb was amputated mid way between the 1st & 2nd joint, I have a hard enough time with the high-low beam button let alone the horn but it would help a lot if Kawasaki would switch them around.
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

Has anyone tried to see if the Horn and Hi/Lo headlight buttons can be switched?!? Uh ... swapped, that is.

UPDATE: ... Just looked at them. NOPE. Cannot be switched as the Hi/Lo beam switch is longer than the horn button. At least, not unless you get really creative ... Hmmmm. Gonna have to look at that more closely when I get time. Unfortunately, time is in short supply now.

:Cball
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
buckshotbob
Current bike(s): Vulcan Voyager
Vstar Silverado

Post by buckshotbob »

It's almost a safety problem. When something bad starts to happen you have to chose between horn and clutch. If your thumb is on the horn you don't have leverage to pull in the clutch. Many dire situations call for both.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I only use the horn as a warning. If I am having to avoid a situation, I don't have time to beep the horn.

If I am in traffic with multiple lanes flowing the same direction, I will ride with my thumb poised over the horn button just in case the guy I am passing starts to get close to my lane.
To do that I just rotate my entire hand so I am still touching the grip. No need to remove my hand from the grip to hit the button.
2010 Voyager 1700
bwmatt1
Current bike(s): 2012 KAWASAKI VOYAGER 1700

Post by bwmatt1 »

Get a good set of loud pipes. Then pull in the clutch and turn the throttle. People seem to respond to that faster than a horn, at least in my experience.
MVA-Voyager
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by MVA-Voyager »

that is about the only real complaint I have on these bikes. My former Suzuki C90 had the horn then HiBeam switch in that order.

While on topic of HiBeam, I do miss the pass-flicker HiBeam switch on the front side of the that housing (HiBeam/Horn housing). I not only used it to notify of my getting ready to pass you, but when riding at night, it was a really convenient way to temp turn on HiBeams as I was in middle of a dark curve

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”