Oil leak

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

RDPJR
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Oil leak

Post by RDPJR »

Hi folks, new to posting so if I break any rules forgive me. I noticed after staring up the bike there was oil leaking from underneath by the oil pan. I took things apart but still could not find where the oil is coming from. Are these bikes noted for oil pan leaking or somewhere else? How hard is it to replace the gasket? I am not sure where to start so I would like some directions to look. Thank you for your time.
Jimvoyager01
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager

Re: Oil leak

Post by Jimvoyager01 »

The 1200 voyager is not noted for any oil leaks,,,,,check the oil filter first, :wnk2: :wnk2: :wnk2:
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

RDPJR wrote:Hi folks, new to posting so if I break any rules forgive me. I noticed after staring up the bike there was oil leaking from underneath by the oil pan. I took things apart but still could not find where the oil is coming from. Are these bikes noted for oil pan leaking or somewhere else? How hard is it to replace the gasket? I am not sure where to start so I would like some directions to look. Thank you for your time.
Does it appear to be coming from the left side ? And just what "things apart" did you remove ? And by LEAKING , DO you mean it is a steady drip as it is running or it is just wet with oil from somewhere ?
Have you recently changed the oil ? and perhaps overfilled it ?
We need a few more clue's , there are some areas on the left side , one is the seal for the clutch push rod, the other is the water pump/ to engine oil seal.
Be careful cleaning the area up if your using ( brake/clean ) if you spray it into area's that have coolant O-Rings you can cause more harm than good.
Give us some more history on this bike, did you just purchase it, did the leak just start, was it just removed off a trailer and perhaps the pan struck the ramp going on or off the trailer ?
Help us help you out. The more info the better.
Gene K.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

also CLEAN then DRY the area around the water pump, then start bike and watch for oil coming downward and giving the appearence that it is coming from the bottom of the engine. may just have a coolant pump o-ring allowing oil to pass.
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
RDPJR

Post by RDPJR »

I had the bike for about 1 year. It ran great till I had an electric problem. Fixed that. Then one day last year I started the bike and noticed oil leaking from underneath. I removed the plastic on the left side to determine where the leak was coming from. It is very difficult to see under the bike to determine the specific location. It did not look like it was coming from the oil pan but could not be sure. I am not very familiar with this bike so that is why I contacted the forum. Most of the oil looks like it is coming from above the oil pan. Hope this is enough information.
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

If you can get a magnifying mirror and place it on the floor and aim a flashlite at it, you will see a space between the back of the water pump & the engine case, very small about 1" long and 1/4" wide, if you can see up in that space there is a small round hole, that is the water pump weep hole it may look shiny in the hole, that is the shaft, and if you run the engine you can see the shaft turn. That hole is the most common place where the XII leaks oil. If you see oil dripping out of it, it means you have to replace the seal and Carl Leo can send you the kit to do the complete job, very inexpensive & he can talk you thu the repair to where you will feel like a expert tech.
It would be easier to take the transmission cover off to see the orientation of the water pump before you look under the engine and up at the weep hole.
Any questions pm me or ask on here we will assist you.
doug of no fla
lockwoodjohn
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki 1200 Voyager VII

Post by lockwoodjohn »

Hi RDPJR,
Sorry to hear about your leak. When I was trying to find my oil leak last year
i was given the advice to remove the cover by the shift lever. then throughly clean the whole engine with degreaser . Dry engine with air, compressor. then use a can of
foot powder, The spray kind coat the engine with it where ever it might be leaking.
run the bike and see where oil is coming from. I had the bike up on the center stand
when I did this. Also I used a inspection mirror to look at the under side of the engine. While I was laying on the floor next to the bike. It turned out it was the oil
pump seal. The white foot powder will turn dark in color as soon as any oil leaks onto
it. It helps to pin point where the leak is coming from. Just a suggestion. Can't hurt.
Once you get a idea where the leak is coming from there is alot of good people here that can help you through the repairs. Just keep at it,You will figure it out.
It may also help someone here if you also tell us the milage on the bike.
Good Luck, You will find it,
lockwoodjohn
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Picture is worth a thousand words , hope this helps

https://amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=7847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by cushman eagle »

My VXII was damp with oil along the left side, when I took it down for water manifold O-rings.After contact with Carl Leo,he advised changing the water pump seal. :thanks: He also sent me the water pump O-rings.I changed the coolant hoses at the same time.That has resulted in a dry engine. :woohoo:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
RDPJR

Post by RDPJR »

I believe the oil leak is coming from between the engine and water pump. So, I my have to replace the seals. Carl, (could someone pass this on to him) can you contact me regarding the kit folks were talking about and instructions?
Bob
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

RDPJR wrote:I believe the oil leak is coming from between the engine and water pump. So, I my have to replace the seals. Carl, (could someone pass this on to him) can you contact me regarding the kit folks were talking about and instructions?
Bob
To contact Carl, just click on the "Members" button near the top of any forum page, he should be number 14 on the list. From there, you can either send him a private message through the forum, or an email with your orders/questions.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I would recommend purchasing a bike lift so you can really get under there and inspect the entire engine bottom. I use a spray bottle with degreaser and use an old toothbrush to clean off oily areas then run the engine to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Bike lifts like the ones sold at Harbor Freight are cheap and will be worth their weight in gold when it comes to bike repairs.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
seabreeze-1
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 kawasaki voyager

carl..

Post by seabreeze-1 »

Hey there ..looking for Carl's contact info..thanks ! :)
dave

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”