LED bulbs- white or amber?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Thud300
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

LED bulbs- white or amber?

Post by Thud300 »

Hey all, been a while since checking in and dazzling you all with my forum blog of the resurrection of my 91, but be assured she's getting miles on. I think she's closing in on about 3000 miles now since acquisition, and doing really well as a daily rider.

So I have a question for those who have done it. I'm preparing to put in LED bulbs for the turn signals. Already have the required electronic flasher. But I'm wondering which would look best, white bulbs like the incandescents in there now, or amber?

I know the red LED's in the tail/stop lights are working to great effect with a programmable flasher module.

Discuss :lol: :roll: :-D :laughing:
Returning neglected Kawasakis to glory since 2014
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Been liked: 2 times

Re: LED bulbs- white or amber?

Post by bikerking.biz »

You should use the yellow LED bulbs because if you use white, the light where the bulb is itself will show white instead of yellow. LED's are much more intensive than incandescent, therefore use the color that your lens is for best effect.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Thud300, I would work on replacing the lights that stay on all the time in lieu of doing the turn signals. Not that it matters so much but if you do the turn signals you will have to change out the flasher unit because the flasher works on resistance and LEDs have less than normal bulbs. The other always lit bulbs will draw more current. And whatever bulb you replace make sure it matches the color of the lens it is showing through.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Thud300
Traveler
Traveler
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD

Post by Thud300 »

Finally got the turn signals converted to LEDs.

Done using an EP34 electronic flasher, which eliminates the need for load resistors; and I finally managed to find (on ebay) the type of LED bulbs in amber that I feel have the best performance in terms of brightness. They have 15 square LEDs about 1/8 inch in size; 6 on each side and 3 on the end. They do a good job of filling the reflector with light to avoid uneven light patterns. I use the same units in the brake lamps on all my bikes.

The end result is very very good, particularly on the front 1157 replacement, where the turn signal flash is very bright indeed. So much so, that I'm considering converting the rear signals from 1156 to 1157 by replacing the sockets, splicing the 1156 two wire connector to the 1157 socket and joining the two power circuits together to get an extra bright rear turn signal.

The amber bulbs look a tiny bit pale behind the lenses compared to the stock bulbs, but white units would have been much worse, so a good call there.

Total cost: about 30 bucks
Time: it takes maybe half an hour to switch the bulbs and change the flasher. Whole project is plug and play.
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
Draxxis
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII ZG1200
Been liked: 0

Post by Draxxis »

Definitely go with the Amber lights. Because you definitely want to have it look yellow and not white.

I did all of my lights in LED as well. So my turn signals and my brake lights as well as my license plate light are all LED. My next project is taking the dash out and replacing all of those lights with LED lights as well. That that is definitely quite the project because of all the disassembling that needs to be done to get it out.
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200

Post by voyager55 »

Why even waste your time putting in led bulbs? Our bike works fine without them.
Thud300
Traveler
Traveler
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD

Post by Thud300 »

LED's require much less current to operate, which reserves generator capacity; can be brighter than filament bulbs to increase conspicuity (if you have the right bulbs) and in the case of turn signals, the 'instant-on-off' effect also adds to the conspicuity factor.

For those folks interested in customizing, for instance the gauge backlighting, they are available in colors that you can't get in filament bulbs. You just have to be careful which bulbs to switch, as I understand the cruise control doesn't like LED's, particularly the OD lamp.

All my bikes have LED converted brake/tail lights with a programmable flasher, the brightness and flash pattern might cause some folks seizures.... but I feel confident about getting the attention of traffic in my six when sitting at a stoplight.
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200

Post by voyager55 »

I've run heated gear, gps, running lights,trunk lights for years without any problems.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

.. one'a the biggest current savings I found was replacing my 55W running lites with
some bright LED's, that calc'd out to a 6A savings!!! Well worth it, and boy howdy,
THEY are noticeable!!!!! Bright suck'a's....
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2017 Victory Vision
1996 Voyager (Just sold)
1981 GPZ 550 (Previous bike)
Been liked: 0

Post by Tonyvdb »

So, for the front signal/running lamps I went a different route. I used a white/Amber switchback bulb like this one. It is white when on the running lamp and turns Amber when signalight mode. In my opinion it was the best of both worlds.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-60-LED-Sw ... hite+Amber
2017 Gloss black Victory Vision
1996 Kawasaki Voyager Just sold
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Thud I wouldn't worry about causing seizures in anyone. For more than 35 years my company's ambulances had a strobe on top of them that actuated the traffic lights on our city's streets. The strobe accelerated the timing and gave our trucks the green light. In all that time i never heard of any drivers having seizures over seeing our ambulances coming down the streets in full lights and sirens. Over the years most units have been changed out to LED strobes on all the activated red lights. I am sure your motorcycle isn't going to do more damage. I saw that Carl Leo has this strobe arrangement on his Voyager. Very bright and attention getting. If I figure out how he did it i want to do so on my bike. You cant have too much attention grabbing on the rear of a motorcycle.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Mr Jensee wrote:Thud300, I would work on replacing the lights that stay on all the time in lieu of doing the turn signals. Not that it matters so much but if you do the turn signals you will have to change out the flasher unit because the flasher works on resistance and LEDs have less than normal bulbs. The other always lit bulbs will draw more current. And whatever bulb you replace make sure it matches the color of the lens it is showing through.

Just a little off subject here, but my Champion trike rear lights have standard red lenses, but when you turn on a turn signal, they flash amber. Never took them apart to see how this was done, but it does work pretty well as far as brightness is concerned. I think the running lights might be regular filament bulbs, but the turn signals are Amber LED's. Also, you might want to check your local vehicle code, California has some strange codes regarding colored bulbs, or any changes to factory lighting....

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Lance McCaw
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1987 Kawasaki Voyager, 1985 Honda 700 Sabre

Post by Lance McCaw »

I love my LED headlight.
Attachments
20171124_185216.jpg

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”