Voyager VII fuel level test failed after 2nd carb rebuild

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Write2Paul90277
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1988 ZG 1200, 1984 GL120 Interstate, 1976 Suzuki GT 750
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Voyager VII fuel level test SUCCESS

Post by Write2Paul90277 »

IT'S ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!

Hi,

After weeks of carb rebuilding, re-rebuilding and re-re-building (and lots of great advice from you) my 88 XII is back together and running great!

To get all four float bowl fuel levels equal, I had to vary the float heights between 20mm and 21.8mm. The wet test is now well within the 0.5mm +/- 1.5mm as specified in the service manual.

I set the pilot screws to 2 3/4 turns out and was able to synchronize the carbs to a "T." I used the dial type vacuum gauges and was able to calibrate them in advance using a Miti-Vac to standardize the readings.

Now the engine fires up instantly, idles evenly and revs effortlessly.

After years of riding GoldWings, this is my first Voyager. I'm surprised how incredibly smooth, quick and responsive it is.

Thanks again for your help and patience!

Best regards,

Paul
Jimvoyager01
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager

Re: Voyager VII fuel level test failed after 2nd carb rebuild

Post by Jimvoyager01 »

I am soooo glad you finally got your voyager working correct....You are very persistant....Variety is the spice of life....You went from a goldwing to a voyager....After riding three voyagers (1- 1300,2- 1200)...I bought a 1800 goldwing three months ago...still have a 1200,,will try them both next summer.....was in North Dakota over new years--22 below Dec. 31 regards Jim :woohoo: :Cball :clap: :thmup: :thmup:
Write2Paul90277
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1988 ZG 1200, 1984 GL120 Interstate, 1976 Suzuki GT 750

Post by Write2Paul90277 »

Thanks for the encouragement!

Now I just have to figure out why the red "Battery" light on the dash stays on. I have a brand new sealed battery but I seem to recall that the XII had a battery acid level sensor somewhere, which wouldn't be needed for a sealed battery.

Have you heard about this?

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. The GL1800 is an incredible machine. You're in for a treat come summer. (Don't hate me, but the weather in Redondo Beach today was 72 and sunny.) :cold: :hot:
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

Great work on your XII !!!! Glad you "Gotter Dun" !!! The battery light does indeed have a pigtail that plugs into the battery to JUST let you know the fluid level, but it is unnecessary with a sealed battery.

The pigtail has a resistor attached to it and the end is just a little right angle red piece with a short lead part that goes into the fluid and if not stuck in the fluid then the light stays on .

To put the light out; just attach the wire to any 12v wire near by or the + battery terminal. Best place is the orange wire on the signal relay hanging on the left side by battery terminal.

Then RIDE SAFE!!! & enjoy YOUR XII :woohoo:
doug of no fla
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I am really glad for you to finally get your VXII running right :woohoo: When right,they are a great bike. :thmup: We are in the midst of winter with snow,cold :cold: and about an inch of salt on the roads :cry2: Our roads are white with salt,if the snow is not on them :gmad:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

Thanks for this thread. It's where I'll start in the spring, when I resume getting my XII on the road.
--
Nails

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”