Tools for Christmas

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Tools for Christmas

Post by ekap1200 »

So what do you get an old mechanic,,, Why tools of cource....
Hey Tony of Toledo. All this time and you managed to keep a secret :perfect10:

What a shock I got thismorning as the owner of a new M/C lift. And all week I was wondering why you and my wife were messaging back and forth....
I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and take delivery . I will have my pick up empty today so I can get it home and into the shop.
Thanks for giving her help in picking one out, I am sure it will be a nice one.
So Now at 62 my days of laying down on the floor are over. It was getting a bit much getting up from the floor. now need to put it to work and get some bike work in the shop.
Gene Kap

Pics to follow
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 266 times

Re: Tools for Christmas

Post by cushman eagle »

Gene,good for you :thmup: ,At 69,I am having less fun lying on the floor working on my VXII also :cry2: .I am interested in what you got,and how much room it takes. :thk:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Loren, Not sure what it looks like up in person. It will be delivered to where I work tomorrow. from the link to the site that, Tony sent me It looks great. Has the rear under-tire tray that is removable. and what looks like a nice tire lock in the front. With my limited space I will still need to sink it into the floor. I will post some pics as soon as I can get it into the shop. With the winter winds blowing that may be a few days away.

:cold: No bike ridding going on here

Gene K.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Jimvoyager01
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Jimvoyager01 »

WE are interested in pictures and price and load capacity and we are jealous... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
dsmmrm
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
Been liked: 2 times

Post by dsmmrm »

Yep, I'm with Jim. Pics, please. or it didn't happen.
--
Dave Morrow
Vermilion, Ohio
small herd of kaws
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Well I have to get to see it first..... Tuesday morning I head out to work, knowing it will be delivered to where I work that day.....
I get half way to work and loose the brake pedal in the pick up.. Right to the floor at 40 miles an hour. Now I'm a tall man and even with the seat all the way back, when faced with a lift your leg up by a dog-gone 12" to reach the EM brake is a shocker. I get to work and its bitter cold. Shipper comes in and the shipping/receiving man gets in on the dock and gets me to look the crate over for damage. I go out and just about have my ears fall off the 5 min I'm out there. Up on the material rack it sits and the pick-up is awaiting a two block trip down the street to a mech with a lift in a two bay , Mom and Pop shop. I don't care what it costs I am not working in this cold

NO More. :cold:

Had from 1974 to 1995 working on heavy eq. ( quite a lot of road work and bad weather conditions ) and have had enough when I left.
Any how this guy does well enough to take off from Christmas eve to the 2nd of the new year. And I didn't know I was getting this lift and , had started getting ready for some new tires , and just have to move things around with the door open for about a half hour to get the crate in and lift out. At 500 pounds shipping weight it must be a good one. :laughing: Good thing I can use the Co. van to get back and forth after hours. I will have it home so I can un-crate it for this week end, I want to use it as soon as I can with my bike on it. I could have and would have several years ago just repaired my truck at work. But being a new to us building with sub-standard insulation and the stats down to a chilly 63 ...... laying a a cold deck on a creeper is just not something I want to do. Did two brake lines two years ago in early Dec out in our driveway :laughing: Never again in the winter up here. My good friend Tony just did an electric fuel pump up in Toledo, on a truck outside pulling the gas tank out. God Bless him !!!!!! You could not get me to live in the north by the Great Lakes if you gave me a home free and clear. Great place to be in the summer nice roads and things to see and do. great people good food. But when winter sets in ,

:cold:

I can understand why Carl Leo moved to Fla........
Any way back to the bike, I will get a bit off track here a second..... I had before the end of June found one rear speaker had the now famous rubber mount's ( 2 pcs ) go bad and as a repair what I had did in the 48 hours before I left on a trip was to use Black RTV . I cleaned the area up with M.E.K. and let the RTV cure for 24 or so hours before my trip before installing. So now, about a day or so before this Christmas as I was pulling the trunk off to clean and wax for the next season of riding found this repair to have held up. I was really surprised . Well rubber to rubber , It made sense at the time and was worth a try . That M.E.K. is a nasty powerful cleaner as prep for any gluing process as long as you keep it far away from any painted surface.. Just though I would throw this info out here.
Bike should be easy to roll up on the new lift with trunk and bags removed. I promise , Pics will soon be seen I really want to show this off as I have always wanted to have one. Since I will never really be able to retire I will have to work on bikes and machine work to support us in our GOLDEN YEARS :laughing: Some where warm and pleasant all year long , Plants growing all year long, pool pump running every day of the year. robotic lawn mower doing a better job than I ever could. As soon as the weather turns to spring I do want to still sink this unit into the wooden floor by cutting , boxing in and decking with a plate of 1/4 HR steel. and be level with the floor. Any thing to make it a joy to lift a bike off the deck.
For now a sheet of 0.187 sheet steel under it and it will be a working lift. I also purchased a small bike transport open trailer this season, but have not yet made any mod's to it to suite loading and transporting the larger touring bikes as yet. I can see some dings and dents from the pans of bikes at the end of this trailer from the get go. She need some mod's. newer/wiring, better hold downs and wheel chock and ramping. My goal is to be ready for anyone traveling thru the state we choose to live in be 100 % assured we can help in all ways in a breakdown / stranded situation.
Well in closing I have gone on enough but the forum needed some new reading material.....
I do have some Rear View mirror trim left in stock I will let go for 90.00 a set plus shipping, I need heat if I am going to have the doors open this week, Marie will be asking for cash from me If Im out in the shop, :rolling: burning the electric heat and lights.....
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Yah,Gene,this has been an early winter for us. :cold: I kind of expected it because of the short cold summer :cold: The corn we harvested for our customers,and ourselves,demonstrated a lack of heat units to properly mature.We do have a wellheated shop to work in,so I guess I should be happy about that,and our house is warm. :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Gene the cold weather has hit us all. It is close to freezing here in Lafayette and with the wind and rain it is also unbearable to be outside. Especially when the high humidity of summer is contrasted. I am glad you got yourself a motorcycle lift. I would love to have one but no place to put it. My little garage will have to do for now. Not touching a bike until the artic heads back north. Staying indoors and watching TV is all I intend on doing the next few weeks. :cold:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Well it is at least in the shop. But still upside down. I have to make some more room and get a 4 x 8 sheet of steel for the time being to use it. And deal with having to roll a bike up a 7" ramp , but I will deal with that for now. Once sunk into the floor I will only have a table that raises a bike 25 off the floor but with not rolling it up a ramp and still having floor space. Once the snow clears from in front of the shop and I can get my bike out of the way it will be flipped over and put to work.

Here is the web site , apluslift.com

I have not been on there , I may not want to know how much she spent on me this season. Mine is the MT1500 NOT THE MT1500X , which has the two side table extensions and double ramp plates, but I am not complaining :-D
Attachments
2017_dec 007.jpg
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

....Never knew your garage floor was NOT cement !.........well Gene , at least it may be easier to "sink" your new lift this way in the future . :-D
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
forplay
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by forplay »

At least we don't live in Erie Pa. They got like 12 feet of snow a couple of weeks ago. :tong: :tong:
Tony you should come up for the bike show this weekend. weather is going to be pretty good. Jan 26th thru the 28th in Cleveland. Would be nice to see ya.
Keith
Keep the shiny side up
dsmmrm
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
Been liked: 2 times

Post by dsmmrm »

I'll be there on sunday morning. Need more of us 2001 owners in the greater cleveburg area.
--
Dave Morrow
Vermilion, Ohio
small herd of kaws
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Gene;

Nice lift! Wish I had one. Your garage looks about like mine, 6 feet wide, and the trike is 60" wide. And ther's the 2 cylinder air compressor to get around.
Replaced the battery this past weekend, took me a day and a half because I thought I would also replace the ground cable. Didn't realize that I would have to remove the exhaust system, the side covers, and I thought for a moment, the ABS system, but I finally got around that. Until I get a hoist, never again! Oh, BTW, NONE of the bike shops will touch a trike, because it is a trike, and they don't want the liability I guess.

Anyway, that hoist would work just fine for me if it had some extra extensions on the side to make it as wide as the rear wheels!

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Jimvoyager01
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager

Post by Jimvoyager01 »

Hey Gene -----hows that new lift working----hows about some pictures??? :Cball :woohoo: :thmup: :wnk2: :hmm:
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello all, well the lift is working nice. Right now the trailer is up on it as it has over 20,000 since I purchased it. It needed a good going over and two of the four wheel bearings are in need of RPL. And a friend gave me some nice new lamps for the back end . So nice not to have to lean over or get down on the floor.
My Voyager work is on hold until I can afford some new Avons. Trinket sales have not been good and what I do get in the shop goes to just keeping the heat up and the lights on. Not much I need to do on the voyager , tires, oil change, and install the trailer hitch.. The hitch had been slightly damaged when the bike got hit but I have it ready for service again.
And for now I just have a sheet of 1/8 steel on the wooden floor under the lift just in case. I still want to sink it into the floor but not a rush on that,
Hank---- they do make extensions for the lift for trikes. We just didn't get that extra package.

Gene Kap.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”