Rust.

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Biker Max
Current bike(s): ZN1300,
ZG1200,
GTR1400,
GTR1000,
Rewaco HS5 Trike.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rust.

Post by Biker Max »

At the end of this last summer I had a look at the frame on my 1200, only to find it was covered with a thin layer of rust. So which paint / coating do I use is the question? Now don’t say powder coating as that’s the last thing I would use. (another story).
As I live in North Wales in the UK and about 100mts from the Irish sea, everything here rots very quickly.
So I decided to strip the bike down & get the frame Hot dipped Zinc Galvanized.
Yes Hot dipped (450 °C) Galvanized! I was surprised how much cheaper than paint .About $50. That was for a total of 13 items. The only problem is that you have to clean out all the threaded holes & where bearing fit and that’s a pain in the ass. You also loose all the stickers that’s on the frame.including the chassis Vin. number on the steering head.
But at the end of the day it will not rust again. I have also replaced nearly every nut & bolt with stainless ones. I’m also in the process of changing electrical connectors with waterproof ones.
As anybody else done this or am I the only one?
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Rust.

Post by Mr Jensee »

Biker Max, I posted a semi cure for keeping rust and corrosion at bay. See my post on the ACF 50, recommended on YouTube by a fellow Brit. I think I would panic if I found my bike covered with rust on the frame. The idea of stripping the bike down to the frame is incomprehensible. Good luck to you and please once the bike is back together think about getting some ACF 50. And view the You Tube video.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 543 times

Post by Nails »

What's up with the powder coating ("other story")? That always seemed like a good idea to me.
--
Nails
Biker Max
ZG1200,
GTR1400,
GTR1000,
Rewaco HS5 Trike.

Post by Biker Max »

Powder Coating, (other story)
About 10 years ago I had most of my ZN1300 powder coated. It looked good and I thought it would last. But unknown to me a few years on & the metal underneath was slowly rusting away. The main frame & swing arm wasn’t too bad, but the entire rear sub frame rotted away slowly.
The first to rot was the two rails under the Trunk, then the sub frame that holds the saddle bags. If you spot any bubbles under the coating it’s normally too late. So now I'm going to have to strip the bike down again. & try and find replacement parts. I may end up parting it instead.
Now Voyagers & spare parts are like finding Hen's teeth over here. They where never imported into the UK, why I don’t know. Kawasaki (UK) Knows best! That’s why all my bikes have come from the USA.
So if I was to consider having a frame repainted, I would have it stove enameled. Easy to repair & touch up.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Interesting, thanks.
Your painted over the zinc. Or does it look like your frame is made of electrical conduit :lol:
--
Nails
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Biker Max wrote:Powder Coating, (other story)
About 10 years ago I had most of my ZN1300 powder coated. It looked good and I thought it would last. But unknown to me a few years on & the metal underneath was slowly rusting away. The main frame & swing arm wasn’t too bad, but the entire rear sub frame rotted away slowly.
The first to rot was the two rails under the Trunk, then the sub frame that holds the saddle bags. If you spot any bubbles under the coating it’s normally too late. So now I'm going to have to strip the bike down again. & try and find replacement parts. I may end up parting it instead.
Now Voyagers & spare parts are like finding Hen's teeth over here. They where never imported into the UK, why I don’t know. Kawasaki (UK) Knows best! That’s why all my bikes have come from the USA.
So if I was to consider having a frame repainted, I would have it stove enameled. Easy to repair & touch up.
In 1949 my Dad bought a Buick Roadmaster , This beauty had porcelainized cast iron exhaust manifolds. In the early 1960's this car still had a shiny porcelain exhaust manifold. That's the way a bike should be! Dip the entire frame in molten glass, it will last a lifetime!

Oh yeah, while you're at it, add 4 port holes on each side of the fairing. That's what I'm gonna do to my Voyager 1700, add portholes! with lights in them !! Yeah!!

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Biker Max
ZG1200,
GTR1400,
GTR1000,
Rewaco HS5 Trike.

Post by Biker Max »

The finish at the moment has a shine to it, but it will turn to a satin /matt finish with time.
The finish all depends on how well the job is done.
I did the same to the frame on my Rewaco Trike a few years ago.
As you don’t see much of the frame due to all the bodywork, you don’t notice it.
I will post a few pic’s when I get home in about 2 months. I’m out in Thailand at the moment for the winter.(It’s a little warmer).
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Sounds very nice. Would be interested in seeing photos.
--
Nails

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”