Need #3 spark plug wire

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Need #3 spark plug wire

Post by cranky »

Just had a new oil seal put in my water pump for leaking, after 7000 miles, sigh....
had this one epoxy'd in place!!!!!

While there, new radiator juice and new oil.... went with Mobil 10/40 M/C oil, good stuff!!

I only gave him 3qt 22oz!!! Damn!!!! Sounds like a new motor!!! New iridium plugs,
wrench said #3 wire was getting stiff, like maybe it's breaking down, should be real limber,
maybe replace it down the road...

How do you order / replace #3 spark plug wire??? Is it difficult? Any secret? Some scoots
I've heard of Ya gotta change the coil... etc... How is it on the 1200? TIA
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '92 Voyager XII
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Need #3 spark plug wire

Post by JHD »

The wires are copper core so they don't flex a lot like carbon core. If you are going to replace #3 I would just do them all. I'm pretty sure the inner fairing parts have to come off to get to the coils. Been a while since I did mine. I did post some info on wire/caps/plugs so you might do a search under spark plugs or NGK. I found a NJK J1 WIRE CONNECTOR part that I used it's ferules to replace some bad ones on the coil that were smashed. Apparently you can't buy those separately from the coil. The wire I purchased by the foot at an O'reilly auto parts. I reused the protective sleeves off the old wire set. Kind of a pain to take off and put on the new wire but worthwhile for the extra protection from heat. Purchased the NGK caps SD05FP that have the waterproof covers. If you have a supplier local for the caps I would suggest bringing along an multimeter so you can ohm them out. I bought a set of caps from a local Kawi shop and 3 of the 4 didn't ohm out to spec. returned them and then went online to https://www.ngkwholesale.com/index.php to buy my caps and Denso ix24b iridium plugs.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”