Radiator hose

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Radiator hose

Post by Tat2demon »

Found out a couple days ago that my coolant leak is at the lower radiator hose where it attaches to the radiator. I ordered a set of hoses from ebay but was wondering about the current condition of the hose. At the center it is kinked over a ways but seems to be seated all the way on both ends. Is this normal or did someone put the wrong hose on in the past?

Here is the set I just ordered- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121237799954
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

JHD
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '92 Voyager XII
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Radiator hose

Post by JHD »

It could be the wrong hose. Hard to tell without a pic. Possible that it was not oriented correctly when the radiator was reattached. I just replaced all my hoses last year. You do have to have the hoses oriented perfectly. Patience is a must to change out all the hoses. If you are going to replace those two hoses you should also think about replacing the upper hose also. It is such a tedious job that it is worthwhile to replace all hoses at once. Seeing that your bike is an '88 it would be about time to change them all out unless they have all been replaced in the recent past.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

The lower hose can be tricky for sure.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Dbb3
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Dbb3 »

Changed out the upper left hand, and right hand hoses, 1149, and 1150, and now tackling the rest.
To change the lower two radiator hoses, what is the best way to access the hoses? It appears from below isn't happening due to the direction the clamps are facing.
I assume I have to remove the fairings to get at the hoses?
Do I have to remove the radiator as well, or can I change the hoses without going to that extreme?
I've read one poster said he made the mistake of not removing the lower cowling?
Any suggestions and tips for this or the other upper hoses, 1153, 1154, and 1174 which I understand are tricky, is most appreciated.
Thanks
Dan
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 94 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

I would remove the radiator. Not that bad. Mirrors, chrome accent, Windshield, left lower and upper fairing has to be removed. I removed the radiator to replace water pump. Now that was a pain.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by cushman eagle »

While you are that far in there,I would highly recommend changing the four o-rings that seal the water manifold to the cylinder block.If they start leaking you will be back into it far enough to remove the radiator anyway. :corn:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Dbb3
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Dbb3 »

Thanks guys.
I've had the fun of removing trim, windshield, headlight, and fairings to get at the master plug in the past. A tremendous jigsaw puzzle just to get to that left lower fairing.
I've seen posts about how it seemed almost impossible to get to the upper hose below radiator cap. Not sure if that poster ever got to it, or just hoped it didn't burst, but I guess I'll find out once I get it all apart today.
O'rings on the water manifold?
Going to have to look that one up. :lol: :shock:
Bobby B
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by Bobby B »

Just replaced all my hoses, what a PITA, but are all done. Of course, Kawasaki does not make all the hoses, so I have to do some creative engineering. Will post the Dayco hose equivalents that I was able to utilize. All done, good for another decade
Bobby in the Gator swamp(previously of the Space Coast)
Bobby B
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by Bobby B »

Here ya go voyager geeks:
Kawasaki part/dayco part
39062/70468
39062B/72065
39062D/80394 plus /2 barb connector plus 4" 1/2 hose

70468 is the left hose from thermostat to below battery to engine, perfect fit, plug and play
72065 after trimming is a perfect fit
80394 requires trim on both ends, top trim to same measurement as factory, bottom trim to about 3/4" below fan securing mount. Then put in brass connector(Ace hardware) and clamp, then add an intermediate clamp, then measure 1/2 hose to fit same length as original, clamp to brass fitting. The intermediate clamp is to keep the hose open since the new hose is not perfectly formed, you will see the crease and use the clamp to eliminate it.

When I figure out how to attach an image, I will put a drawing of the 80394 set up for you guys to laugh at.
These users liked Bobby B's post:
Conrad (Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:49 am)
Rating: 12.5%
Bobby in the Gator swamp(previously of the Space Coast)
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 541 times

Post by Nails »

Thank you very much for this.