In tank Fuel Screen size 86 Voyager

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

In tank Fuel Screen size 86 Voyager

Post by Van Voyager »

I had to pull the fuel tap of my 86 1300 Voyager to clean the insides as it was seized. The tap cleaned up OK and is now operable (although still very stiff). When I had the tap off, I was surprised to find there was no fuel screen on the tap. The part fiche confirmed there should be a screen there but it does not appear to be a separately avaible part from Kawasaki (I guess to get a new screen a new tap is required?). I found a local guy who has a wide assortment of screens and he may have one that will fit but does anyone happen to have a screen handy and could post some measurements? Thanks for any help.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 219 times

Re: In tank Fuel Screen size 86 Voyager

Post by Me Again »

To be honest I have repaired at least 6 of those and have never seen a pre screen . pull it out ,clean it up and put some new O rings on.
I would not put one in or you will be changing that instead of a filter ,
Filters may be hard to find and a pain to change ,but at least you're not dealing with a full tank of gas .
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

I was thinking the in line fuel filter would take care of keeping the FI system clean, I was more concerned about the tap itself. The reason the tap was seized was because of the sediment that had collect in the tap - I think the tank screen would help with that and a cleaning once ever few years would suffice (maybe).
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Just bumping this in case anyone has found a source for the fuel tap screen.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

Van Voyager wrote:Just bumping this in case anyone has found a source for the fuel tap screen.
I do not believe there is a tap screen on these.Riding on reserve sucks all the crap out of the tank and into the filter.
If your valve is stiff you need to change O rings again .Use a little O ring lube and make sure you do not over tighten the screws .
It is possible to use to thick of an O ring and cause the tap to bind .I have done this and had to run to the store to get the next size down.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Removed the fuel tap again today as I'm going to a swap meet in a few days where I'm hoping to find a fuel screen. Below are some measurements looking down from the top of the tap - they may prove useful when searching for a suitable tap screen. The measurements are not exact and have been rounded up/down however the recess cavity for the OEM screen (yellow 'oval') is very close to 30 x 10mm. There's a second recess (shown in green) 5mm lower than the yellow one which might also accommodate a screen. The 8mm brass pipe that feeds the 'ON' position (shown in blue) rises approximately 60mm above the tap sealing surface.

I disassembled the tap to see what's making it so stiff. Couldn't find any debris (I cleaned it out not that long ago (mile wise)), but I did notice that the tap handle protrusions on the inside of the tap - the part that locks into the slot in the actual plastic valve - didn't sit 'flush' - it was 'proud' by about 1/2 mm and 'rocked' a bit in the slot. This has the effect of increasing pressure on the plastic valve when the tap face bezel is screwed on. I filed the protrusion down - just the minimum so that the tap handle sits flush on the plastic valve and now the tap turns easier. I haven't put the tap back in service yet so it may turn stiff again when fuel hit's it - I'll update later about that.

Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

the part that locks into the slot in the actual plastic valve - didn't sit 'flush' - it was 'proud' by about 1/2 mm and 'rocked' a bit in the slot.
I have never noticed them rocking but this is why I suggested not over tightening them .they are made that way to help make the seal.The last one I did I had to re-tighten the screws a hair to stop it from leaking but it works nice and loose
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Me Again wrote:...I have never noticed them rocking ...
Just to clarify: the pieces would rock when 'fitted' outside of the tap body.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

I went to the swap meet today and found a fuel tap screen that works very well. Below are some pictures of the screen. It had a internal pipe which I removed (took a bit of finesse to pop it out without damaging the screen - no problem it's not 'attached'). The bottom of the screen was an exact fit with the base being approximately 25mm and the 'flange' approximately 30mm (x10mm). I had to use a pair of channel locks against the flange and the tap body to 'press' the screen into the body.

Unfortunately I was not able to determine which model the screen came from - the guy I bought it from had a bag of them, of various varieties - a number of them had the right sizing to work. I'm going to contact him again about a source.

PS: Just for reference purposes, the screen locates approximately 83mm above the tap body/tank interface. I haven't put it back in the tank yet but I don't think there will be any interference problems - I'll update if there is.

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Couple more pictures of the tap without and with the screen installed.

Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

As many times as I have had those apart I do not recall ever seeing that.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

It is entirely possible they never came with screens on the taps but with the screen I found installed, it's exactly as pictured in the parts fiche. It does seem weird that screens would go missing - why would someone take the screen off - maybe the gas damages the plastic after a while? I suppose it's plausible the fiche was mostly copied from the carburated KZ1300 model and since the FI models have a large fuel filter, Kawasaki didn't update the fiche properly to show the 'deleted' screen.
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Been liked: 1 time

Post by jorgeno »

My fuel tap is exactly as shown in the fiche, with screen. Maybe some PO did some modification on your tap?
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

That looks like very good part to have on the bike.
Since there is no part number I am wondering if they were never installed on the voyagers.
The reserve port does get filled up with crud after awhile .
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

The tap hole in the bottom of the tank is exactly the same size as the screen cross section - in fact it's a bit of a tight fit - not too tight to get it in easily though. I had wondered if the screen swells a bit when immersed in gas for a while - then when the tap is removed the screen pops off and remains inside the tank? ( I took a look in my tank with a borescope and coudn't find a screen in there). Now that I think about it, the flange on the end of the screen is bigger than the hole so there's no way the screen wold come off intact in the tank but maybe it could break off in which case an owner might remove the stub from the tap and put back tap back on without the screen.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”