86 ZN1300 Radio Reception

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

86 ZN1300 Radio Reception

Post by Van Voyager »

The radio reception in my 86 Voyager seems to be working OK but the 'seek' feature doesn't work optimally. The Radio wont find any stations in the AM band when seeking although they tune in fine manually. In the FM band, only very strong stations will tune using seek despite the fact that in my area, every station in the band is occupied and has a pretty strong signal. The LX or DX selection doesn't change anything. On a related issue (I think it's related) in FM Mode, the stereo constantly alternates between Stereo and Mono. I know that this is not unusual but I think it's happening more than it should. If my radio training serves me correctly, it's the 'pilot' frequency that activates the 'Stereo' feature and is also what the seek tuning feature locks onto (i.e. I'm thinking there's a problem with the radio in tuning in the pilot frequency).

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

PS: When I first got the bike the radio or clock would not hold their memory which I traced to a blown fuse and both are working fine now.

PSS: Tape deck works awesome, but is unfortunately of limited use as I got rid of all my tapes before this bike was build in 86 :)
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 218 times

Re: 86 ZN1300 Radio Reception

Post by Me Again »

You may want to pull the head unit out and clean up the connections.
Fairly simple to do .
Unlock and pull head unit. Remove 4 hex screws and pull basket out.
Check and clean connections (especially the big round one .I think it's a 18 pin .
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 86 ZN1300 Radio Reception

Post by Van Voyager »

I'll do that (but in the winter :-D )

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”