False Neutral Indication

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

False Neutral Indication

Post by Van Voyager »

The only potentially nasty thing I've found with my 86 ZN1300 is that it occasionally (very occasionally) displays a false neutral indication, i.e. the green Neutral dash indicator lights up but the bike is not actually in neutral. So far this has proven to be more of an annoyance than a problem as it usually occurs when I'm rolling to a stop and hunting for neutral. The thing I'm worried about is one of these days I'm going to start the motor with the bike on the side-stand with the indicator showing neutral but the motor not really in neutral, i.e instant tip over - or worse. Anyone know if there's an adjustment for the neutral sensor/switch?
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 218 times

Re: False Neutral Indication

Post by Me Again »

Short answer is that you should not be searching for neutral while moving.
Come to a full stop and let the neutral finder do the work .
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Unfortunately, with the brutal stop-and-go traffic we have in these parts shifting into neutral while on a roll is a necessity. In any case, having a false neutral while rolling isn't really a problem as it's immediately obvious.

I wasn't aware the ZN's had a 'neutral finder'; I have that feature on other Kawasakis that I have and have never had a problem with false neutral indication. I think something is faulty or out of adjustment.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

Kawasaki is famous for it's neutral finder .
Unfortunately trying to find neutral while moving defeats it.
It is also a very bad habit to get into .Leave it in gear unless you are stopped and just pull in the clutch when you want to stop or slow down .
If the traffic is stop and go just feather the clutch a little to keep the r's up and help control very slow speeds
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

I like to avoid feathering the clutch and coasting in neutral when I'm in heavy traffic. It's easier on the clutch and on my clutch hand. :-D Curious why you think it's a bad habit?
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

It leaves you vulnerable.
You have no power to avoid obstacles .The second it takes to pull in the clutch and put it in gear leaves no time to avoid the unexpected .
Little things like the traffic suddenly picks up speed and the car behind you takes off or the possum the car ahead of you straddles and it's suddenly under your tires . Or maybe the car next to you decides he wants your spot and the car behind is to close to stop .
Coasting in neutral limits your ability to maneuver quickly .
I have read many articles that advise you to leave the bike in gear and hold the clutch in even though you are sitting at a stop light so you can quickly move out of the way in case a car comes up behind you to fast .
Riding the clutch is not nearly as hard on the bike or you as a 5000# truck slamming into your trunk .
I have been riding more than 40 years and just recently found out how much more maneuverable the bike is if you just use the clutch to keep the bike steady at very low speed .
I have always thought I was doing good keep the beast under control down to 4 mph but with a little help from the clutch I now have control down to 3 mph and making tight turns at low speed is so much easier.
Thank you Ken Knight .I have been practicing .
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Interesting: I just read Rider Magazine's October 83 review of the Voyager and it specifically mentions the false neutral problem (near the bottom of page 68):
"Shifting is smooth and positive, as has always been on this model. Occasionally, however, the neutral light will glow green, but the engine will stall when you let out the clutch. In this instance, it takes an extra half-notch to engage neutral"
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by trikebldr »

I'm with Me Again on this one. About the only time you should go for neutral is when have stopped. This COULD even mean once you have stopped for a light. I usually watch the light's timing to determine if I have enough time to go into neutral and release my clutch to rest my hand before shifting just a few seconds before moving out on green. But, as Again says, if somebody is headed for you, you had better be ready to put it in gear and move out. As always, you HAVE to be extremely situationally aware of all that is happening around you.
The ZN is definitely not an around-town cruiser! If that's your game, and you insist on doing that on a big cruiser, you would be much better off with the hydraulic clutch on the 1200. SO much easier to pull and doesn't tire your hand out.
I had an '83 1300 Voyager from new, and now have an '84 and an '85. All three have the same issue you are experiencing, but I learned the feel of the shifter and it ceased being problem.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”