Replacement panels / graphics /Stickers 1985 Voyager 1300

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

kieranwebster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Replacement panels / graphics /Stickers 1985 Voyager 1300

Post by kieranwebster »

Hi Greetings from Ireland,
I wonder if anyone could direct me to where i could get some replacement decals for 1985 Voyager.
I bought this Bike nearly 2 years ago in Calafornia ( ebay ) and had it shipped to Ireland ,however the wine colored panels to the rear of the bike have faded badly and i wish to have boxes repainted.
I will require 2 x side panels (R&L) - 2 x saddle boxes(R&L) - 3 x top box (R+L+Rear) in Wine color with gold pinstripe . the rest of the bike is black and the wine panels on the tank and front fairing are OK. This seems to be a common color scheme
I have tried to get them made here but was unsucessful.
This model was never sold in this country so I find it hard to get parts & info
I would be glad of any suggestions -websites -contacts -part numbers - paint codes - how other people got over this problem .
Many Thanks ..Kieran
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Re: Replacement panels / graphics /Stickers 1985 Voyager 1300

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

From what I can tell, these "decals" are not available from Kawasaki at all, they come as part of the saddlebags, top trunk, etc. You can check on buykawasaki.com yourself to double check if you didn't already. The one solution I see is to paint your own panels on, then pinstripe them with whatever color you can get close enough to stock or other, then clearcoat. If you have vendors there that can do what we call vehicle raps (vinyl decals), maybe one of them could actually make a decal to install. Otherwise, you'll probably have to paint them on unless someone else knows something to do. :hmm:
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Me Again »

The Black and Red are painted on not a decal . The only decal would be the Gold pinstriping . I know it looks like a decal but thats because the clear coat is peeling . It is possible the strip the clearcoat and reclearcoat but I have only seen one bike that did this successfully without dulling the Red.
Scott in IL
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2 x 1984 ZN1300 Voyager
2001 BMW K1200LT

Post by Scott in IL »

I think some of them were decals, the side covers and front fender. The rest are paint. We sanded everything off when we repainted my bike and I know we found some to actually be decals.
If you want it to look original, I suggest painting on the wine color (maroon?) then either find someone who could carefully paint on the pinstripes, or buy pinstripe and apply.
I have seen the double pinstripe sold in a roll at an auto parts store. Or go to the related links on the AVA home page and look for Tapeworks. They sell their pinstripe material by the foot in I think 14 inch wide sheets. You then have to cut and apply.
I was thinking of doing this after I get my paint job touched up this winter.
martineluther

Post by martineluther »

There are many companies which offer replacement of decals, you can search them online.

Kawasaki jet ski decals
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by triton28 »

On the Voyager XIIs the minor panel colour was sprayed on the area to remain this colour of the item being painted and then covered when dry with a blank out panel.
Next the field colour was applied to the remaining surface of the item being painted except for the blank out panel area.
Then the blank out panel would be removed and the cut line between the 2 colours would be covered with a decal before the clear coat was applied. I suspect the ZN1300s were done the same way.
Just recently I sanded the minor colour, teal in this case, and the black field colour right up to the dual stripe decal but did not sand the decal nor the clear coat covering it as I did not want to go through the trouble of trying to duplicate both the style/colour and position of the decal. I then taped the decal using 3M fine line 1/8" vinyl masking tape and 1/4" regular masking tape to bridge the uncovered portions of the decal before respraying the 2 colours. The Fine Line is amazing tape, only .13mm thick (.005") and it will follow the tight radii of the decal around the minor and field colour areas.
Having said that, if one was to sand the decal off entirely, with a method of positioning a replacement decal/pinstripe tape close to the original decal's position before sanding it off, there are suppliers who specialize in rolls of pin striping such as stripeman.com that one could use to approximate the original decal.
The tricky part of sanding off the decal is getting the location of the decal as close to the original position as possible using a blank out panel for each shape.
Just a thought,
Dave
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by triton28 »

Here is what a sanded up to decal will turn out like, and the finished product when assembled, if one takes the time and sands carefully, and any worn/faded paint job can look good again a so long as the decals are in good condition.
I had several repairs to the decals I had to perform due to gouges going across the surface of the decal and by prefilling the gouge with epoxy and then scratch/dent glazing compound, I was able to colour match the black/gold and the repairs are virtually invisible.

014.JPG
015.JPG
Attachments
021.JPG

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”