Throttle cable replacement

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Throttle cable replacement

Post by Stoogefan »

Evening folks. I recently replaced the push and pull throttle cables on my `88 1300, and it seems I've done something wrong. I now have to twist the throttle up in the opposite direction to bring it to a low idle .... if I let go, the engine screams to about 4000 rpm.
Surprisingly, I don't have any spare parts :lol: but I still can't figure out what the issue is. There is a box type thing under the left side cowling that has 2 cables going in, and 1 cable going out. Inside there are 2 tension springs but I don't know if the springs should be wound or not. I've been a month without riding as I had to make one of the cables ... I'd appreciate ANY help !

Thanks in advance :pray:
"Stoogefan"
Jeff - SW Ontario, Canada
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Throttle cable replacement

Post by trikebldr »

Do you have a set of manuals for this bike? At the rear of the supplement manual is a 13 page section dealing solely with the cruise control system on the '87 and '88 models. There are some good clear pics of how the cables get hooked up.
From your description it sounds like you have your throttle grip cables connected backwards. The "return" cable goes straight to the butterfly control rod pulley, just as on earlier, non-cruise models. But, the pull cable goes to the input of the cruise control box on the left side of the bike.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”