1300 idle to low when engine is warm

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

MikeH
Current bike(s): 1984 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Suzuki Boulevard S50
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

1300 idle to low when engine is warm

Post by MikeH »

My ZN 1300 does start excellent. Running good. Temperature constant and good. After she gets warm the idle will stay at what ever I adjust too. Lets say 1200 rpm. After running the bike for a while idle will drop to 300 - 500 rpm if I stop. New spark plugs. New ignition coils. New ignition wire. If I let her cool down and start again, same thing. Will hold idle at 1200 and drop after a while. Any idea?
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 217 times

Re: 1300 idle to low when engine is warm

Post by Me Again »

MikeH wrote:My ZN 1300 does start excellent. Running good. Temperature constant and good. After she gets warm the idle will stay at what ever I adjust too. Lets say 1200 rpm. After running the bike for a while idle will drop to 300 - 500 rpm if I stop. New spark plugs. New ignition coils. New ignition wire. If I let her cool down and start again, same thing. Will hold idle at 1200 and drop after a while. Any idea?
Based on your description ,there are a number of things to check.
First off is reset your throttle cables taking as much play out of them as you can.making. sure they SNAP back to idle
Next is throw in a can of injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner
Next,make sure your fast idle lever is all the way down once the bike is warmed up.
If it still drops consistently to 300-500,reset the idle at that point.
Most likely it's the throttle cables not fully returning or loose.
MikeH
Current bike(s): 1984 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Suzuki Boulevard S50

Post by MikeH »

Me Again wrote:
MikeH wrote:My ZN 1300 does start excellent. Running good. Temperature constant and good. After she gets warm the idle will stay at what ever I adjust too. Lets say 1200 rpm. After running the bike for a while idle will drop to 300 - 500 rpm if I stop. New spark plugs. New ignition coils. New ignition wire. If I let her cool down and start again, same thing. Will hold idle at 1200 and drop after a while. Any idea?
First off is reset your throttle cables taking as much play out of them as you can.making. sure they SNAP back to idle
Next,make sure your fast idle lever is all the way down once the bike is warmed up.
Reset the throttle cable fixed it about 80%. Will see what the cleaner will do after a couple of days. Thanks.
lemonhead
Current bike(s): 1985 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300 A-3,
1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100,
Ect..

Post by lemonhead »

Me Again wrote:
Or the return cable is stretched..

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”