30mph front wheel bounce

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

robertmohr
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

30mph front wheel bounce

Post by robertmohr »

I'm having an issue with my front wheel. The bounce does not appear until I get to about 30 mph. Above 30 the bounce disappears. I replaced the tire with a new one and the bounce is still the same. It seems to be a balance issue. I raised and lower the front axle air and it made no difference. I had the balance checked and the tire is balanced. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check next? I haven't tried replacing the front wheel hub. I hope I don't have to.

My bike is a 1986 1300
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 219 times

Re: 30mph front wheel bounce

Post by Me Again »

It depends a lot on what you mean by "bounce" but i would venture to say it's time to change fork oil.
Low or extremely dirty fork oil will not allow the forks to move smoothly causing the feeling that they are bouncing.
it may also be time to check steering head and wheel bearings ,although I think these would cause more vibration than bouncing.
lemonhead
Current bike(s): 1985 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300 A-3,
1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100,
Ect..
Been liked: 0

Post by lemonhead »

many put beads in tires threw air valve.. they are balancing beads..
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

I agree with Me Again, bad oil or wrong viscosity or wrong type of shock oil. to much or to little shock oil.

Would be where I would check after making sure wheels & tires are good. Raise up front end and spin tire fast with a drill & grinder wheel, check for out of round or side run out. do rear also.

I found this bounce problem in several XII's that I have worked on.

Shock maintenance must be done correctly or this type of problem can occur very easily.
doug of no fla

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”