To B(ias), or not to B(ias). That is my question!

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

To B(ias), or not to B(ias). That is my question!

Post by trikebldr »

OK, along with my new sidecar addition to my '84 Voyager 1300, I will be replacing the tires on the bike and the hack. I plan to run the Elite 3's all around with the sidecar running the same tire as the bike's front.
The question is, can anybody give me advice from experience on the handling differences between bias and radial versions of the Elites? Since the total rig will no longer be leaning (well, not MOST of the time, at least!), I do know it will react a bit different than a solo bike. Sidewall stiffness will be more important, and just like on a car, mixing the two types is a no-no for sure.
broksonic
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Re: To B(ias), or not to B(ias). That is my question!

Post by broksonic »

trikebldr wrote:OK, along with my new sidecar addition to my '84 Voyager 1300, I will be replacing the tires on the bike and the hack. I plan to run the Elite 3's all around with the sidecar running the same tire as the bike's front.
The question is, can anybody give me advice from experience on the handling differences between bias and radial versions of the Elites? Since the total rig will no longer be leaning (well, not MOST of the time, at least!), I do know it will react a bit different than a solo bike. Sidewall stiffness will be more important, and just like on a car, mixing the two types is a no-no for sure.

Well i dont have any experience with the E3's yet.. but i did find some information on bias/radial.
Plies are layers of relatively inextensible cords embedded in the rubber to hold its shape by preventing the rubber from stretching in response to the internal pressure. The orientations of the plies plays a large role in the performance of the tire and is one of the main ways that tires are categorized. Bias tire (or cross ply) construction utilizes body ply cords that extend diagonally from bead to bead, usually at angles in the range of 30 to 40 degrees, with successive plies laid at opposing angles forming a crisscross pattern to which the tread is applied. The design allows the entire tire body to flex easily, providing the main advantage of this construction, a smooth ride on rough surfaces. This cushioning characteristic also causes the major disadvantages of a bias tire: increased rolling resistance and less control and traction at higher speeds.

Radial tire construction is recognized worldwide for its ability to deliver numerous benefits that bias-ply tires cannot. In the agricultural industry, radial technology delivers large benefits: Long tire life, Resistance to cuts, punctures and tears, Excellent traction, Improved handling and fuel economy & Smooth ride and operator comfort. Radial tire construction utilizes body ply cords extending from the beads and across the tread so that the cords are laid at approximately right angles to the centerline of the tread, and parallel to each other, as well as stabilizer belts directly beneath the tread. The belts may be cord or steel. The advantages of this construction include longer tread life, better steering control, and lower rolling resistance. Disadvantages of the radial tire include a harder ride at low speeds on rough roads and in the context of off-roading, decreased “self-cleaning” ability and lower grip ability at low speeds.
Found that at, http://cocomponents.com/dealer/powerspo ... explained/ theres some more information there too.

Dont know if that helps you out or not.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII

Post by trikebldr »

Brok, yes, it does start to answer my question. It at least verifies that radial bike tires are much like car radials in how they perform, so I can at least apply this to my thinking. Thanks for the links and text!
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

The most important information you can use is that the bike most likely has rims that will only work with bias ply tires. Performance is not a big issue.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Another big benefit of radial tires we have experienced in agriculture, is that the construction of the tire allows running a much lower tire pressure do to the larger footprint.This ,as stated before gives more traction, but also reduces soil compaction.This becomes more important, as a combine full of grain can weigh over 60,000 pounds and a loaded grain cart can weigh 85'000 pounds being pulled by a 30,000 pound tractor.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
madmax
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): ZG1200 B3
ZG1000 - GTR1000
ZG1400 - GTR1400
Been liked: 0

Post by madmax »

Over the years nearly all the combo’s (That’s the name given to motorcycle & sidecar) over here in the UK use radial car tyres on the rear of the bike & sidecar as they don’t have to tilt over any more, but the front does tilt due to the rake of the forks when turning. I have a German made trike which uses car tyres on the rear & bike on the front. It could save you a lot of money.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”