Stereo replacement

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Stereo replacement

Post by Stoogefan »

Hi folks. I have a question that has sort of been answered in other posts, but I want to take it in a different direction. I'm also new here, so "hey there" :gig:
I have an `88 Voyager 1300, and the stereo is having issues. I know that if I replace it with an after market head unit, I will lose all of the hand controls for the intercom, CB, etc.
Here's my question .... what if I were to replace it with a head unit from a newer model Kawi. Would I still lose all of my hand controls ?
Thanks in advance
"Stoogefan"
Jeff - SW Ontario, Canada
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 217 times

Re: Stereo replacement

Post by Me Again »

Short answer is YES. Unless you replace every component ,Then I would say maybe .
Congrats on the 88 . The 87 and 88 are the only two years with a working cruise control and rear speakers .
Plus I love that color .
What kind of problem are you having ?
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

Nothing serious, just some issues with the antique cassette deck. I did pick up one of those cassette adapters though, so I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work, I'll just use my XM satellite. ..lol

Kind of a related topic ... any idea what size the front and rear speakers are ? They may require an upgrade :)
"Stoogefan"
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

The cassette deck is the weak point in the system . The 30 year old belts tend to give up the ghost.
All 4 speakers are 4" . Hopefully someone here will give a recommended version ..Some that look good on paper ,do not work well on a bike.
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

Maybe a decent set of 4" marine speakers ... thanks for the help :thmup: I appreciate it. This bike is new to me as of about a month ago. I had a little 1985 Honda CM250 that I sold in the fall and this is my upgrade. Now I'm patiently waiting for warmer, dryer days so I can enjoy it with my wife (or alone too :gig: )
"Stoogefan"
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

There's going to be a tad difference in the weight . :clap:
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager Xii (zg1200)
Been liked: 18 times

Re: vStereo replacement

Post by krasmu »

I've tried a couple different 4" speakers ranging from the Polk audio marines to the pioneers that everyone on here recommend. Which are what I have installed now. The biggest problem we have is that the bike will only except 4" speakers. You will never get great sound from the small amp and 4" speakers. They have adequate volume but they will never compete with the larger speakers that come on today's newer bikes. If you have to have sound quality, you will be better off putting you money into the intercom or some other form of Bluetooth helmet setup.
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself."-Charles Chaplin
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

krasmu wrote: They have adequate volume but they will never compete with the larger speakers that come on today's newer bikes.
I agree Krasmu, but I figure that whatever I put in will still be a little better then the almost 30 yr old speakers that are there now. The current ones sound like rice crispies ... lol
"Stoogefan"
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

Me Again wrote:There's going to be a tad difference in the weight . :clap:
Yes ... yes there will. However, my wife wasn't able to come along on rides before due to the size of my previous bike. Now she can come and I won't have to listen to her complain that I get to go while she sits home :tho:
"Stoogefan"
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by krasmu »

I moved up to the xii after riding a Honda Magna 750. My wife has had back surgeries and couldn't ride on the bike. Now that I have the xii, she asks to go on the weekend. How great is that..
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself."-Charles Chaplin
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by krasmu »

Stoogefan wrote:
krasmu wrote: They have adequate volume but they will never compete with the larger speakers that come on today's newer bikes.
I agree Krasmu, but I figure that whatever I put in will still be a little better then the almost 30 yr old speakers that are there now. The current ones sound like rice crispies ... lol
I figured the same thing, plus I had one rear that was crackling. What I found, (to my ear) was that the OEM speakers have a bit more full sound but get more distortion at higher volumes. The Pioneers however are crisper and handle the higher volumes better. Plus I'm banking that the new technology might just last longer.
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”