Changing flashers to LEDs

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

EMOYER
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaki Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Changing flashers to LEDs

Post by EMOYER »

Evening Everyone,
I am new to the group and purchased my first cruiser this year after riding sport bikes for years. I am trying to find out if anyone have purchased LEDs that replaces the front flashers on the Voyager. I have searched using Custom Dynamics.com, but its a little confusing trying to locate the right LEDs, has anyone purchased from them before? if so, do you know if a load equalizer is needed? I called the company and they mainly deal with Harleys and don't know a lot about the Voyager.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Changing flashers to LEDs

Post by cranky »

.....use the "search" window, upper right, and search for

changing tail light bulbs 1989 voyager zg1200

I changed my turn / stop (with auto backoff flasher NICE) as a 95% bang for the
buck. You DO have to change the flasher, simple to do, IIRC @15 bucks, it's
mounted to the left of the battery (under the "hood") with one that works with 'um....
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
EMOYER
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by EMOYER »

Awesome, thanks a lot..
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cranky »

I did NOT notice you have a 1700 Voyager, I hope all works for you!!! I was posting thinking
of a XII Voyager..... Hope I didn't mislead you!!!!!!! Please make sure it's the same!!!!!!!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager Xii (zg1200)
Been liked: 18 times

Post by krasmu »

yes you will need to change the flasher is converting to LED Turn signals. If you don't the LED bulbs don't have enough draw and the system will think you have an empty socket and go into hyper flash mode. Sorry, I don't remember the number of the flasher off the top of my head but there are a number of threads on here where it is discussed. I simple search will get you what you need. It can be purchased at any auto parts store and is plug and play.
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself."-Charles Chaplin
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Regardless of the year Voyager you purchased, I would think changing out lights that stay on all the time would be more important for saving alternator energy than lights that get little use like turn signals. Rear tail and brake lights and even headlights are now available in LED configuration. Something to think about.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
wolfrider2013
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2013 Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by wolfrider2013 »

Can someone give me info as to replacement flasher relay when changing to led's? I bought everything from Custom Dynamics including a signal stabilizer. The problem is that it doesn't control the 4way flashers. I did find a mod for the stock unit, but if there's a plug and play available I would prefer that route.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul. :windy:
Renton, WA
PGR
VROC #19539
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cranky »

.. Turn Signal Flasher-Electronic Flasher Blister Card Tridon EP34-C

..search on the above.... didn't work? I thought this was the fix all, it did it for me... JM2C
San Jose, KalEfornYa
wolfrider2013
Streetster
Streetster

Post by wolfrider2013 »

I'm going to touch on a couple of issues here. First, the Tridon EP-34 doesn't work on this generation Voyager, EP-34 has three prongs and the stock relay has five. I was able to solve the problem of "fast" flashing by modifying the flasher relay with a fix that I found out from a buddy with a Yamaha Star that uses the same brand. In searching YouTube I found the video and reviewed that several times. It's a bit of a headache to watch, (camera moves around quite a bit) but you can get the general idea on what to do. In essence, a resistor is soldered in place to modify the signal received from the LED's causing them to flash at the normal rate. I'll address your question here Eric. First, welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself although not necessarily new to Vulcans, ( '06 800 Drifter, '06 V2K, and now my '13 Voyager). Custom Dynamics is an excellent source for replacing your lights with LED's. I've been using them as a source since I brought the bike home new from the dealership and started customizing. I've replaced both front and rear signals with inserts along with converting the amber lenses with smoked ones. I never liked the look of amber on the front and rear. It was a pia but totally worth the effort.
Renton, WA
PGR
VROC #19539
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

This is what you need to maintain proper flash and not use load equalizers (ceramic resistors) and keep all self cancelling features . I have installed one and figure it just a fancy relay that you can integrate into bike easily (with Posi-taps) under the seat and tucked in with ECU.

Slim Line Universal SMART Signal Stabilizer
ITEM#: GEN2-SSUNV
Price: $74.95

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequal ... Stabilizer

I rarely go on here BTW and won't see any response
wolfrider2013
Streetster
Streetster

Post by wolfrider2013 »

Custom Dynamics has a plug and play unit called "Dynamic Ring" that I am using on my "13 V'ger. There is a mod you can do to the stock flasher relay that's not too difficult. I bought one of their stabilizers and although it sort of worked, (didn't change the 4-way flashers), it wasn't consistent in how it worked. I still have it by the way since it was used and didn't figure the company would accept a return for refund. Kind of an expensive trial by the way.
Renton, WA
PGR
VROC #19539

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”