Universal or flat beam headlight

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

stevejinde
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki KZ750
Kawasaki ZL1000
Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Kawasaki VN800A
Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200 B7
Kawasaki ZG1200 B7 Naked bike...
Kawasaki GTR1000 Concours
Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Universal or flat beam headlight

Post by stevejinde »

Hi Folks!

I'm in the process of buying a VN1700 Voyager in the UK which I will then take back to the UK.
However I will need to replace the Headlamp as the beam shines in the wrong direction (The Brits drive on the left). But as I do ride over to the UK from time to time it would be nice to replace it with a Universal or flat beam headlight so that I don't have to change it or put stickers on the headlight every time I go to and from the UK.
Does any one know where I can get a Universal or flat beam headlight or know of an alternative? I've heard that some of these LED light can be set to left or right beam, but surely they wouldn't work in the original Headlights would they?

Regards Steve
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Universal or flat beam headlight

Post by Mr Jensee »

Just curious Steve, aren't the 1700 Voyager sold in Germany? If not just order a headlight designated for the U.S. and you have it made for both countries.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

The beam can be adjusted for windage and elevation. Normally, motorcycle headlights are set dead straight. Does the UK have a different standard for headlights?
:hpdc:
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
stevejinde
Cruiser
Cruiser
Kawasaki ZL1000
Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Kawasaki VN800A
Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager

Post by stevejinde »

Well they were sold throughout Europe with the only differences in Europe being the Headlight, which in the UK and Ireland (drives on the left) has a dip or low beam that shines to the left and the rest of Europe (drives on the right) shines to the right so as not to blind oncoming traffic. US headlights with a central dip beam are not allowed in Europe. There is apparently a so called flat or universal beam headlight as fitted to many modern bikes such as on Indians, but I cannot find such a headlight for the Voyager.
The other thing is the Speedo which in countries with MPH shows also KPH, but KPH speedos do not show MPH...
As to the bike itself, they were no longer imported to Europe as from 1/1/2016 however what is left in stock may be sold until 1/1/2018. This is due to their not getting through the Euro 4 emission regulations which is a problem for most of the manufacturers.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... eally-mean
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016 ... ally-means
At the time of writing I can only find 6 new Voyagers left in Europe (1in Poland, 1 in the UK, 2 in Germany and 2 in Switzerland). So if anyone knows of other new or low mileage ones please let me know!
And this is why I was asking as to whether anyone had heard of Kawasaki bringing out a new bike to replace it.
stevejinde
Cruiser
Cruiser
Kawasaki ZL1000
Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Kawasaki VN800A
Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager

Post by stevejinde »

Hi Folks.

I just noticed in a US Ebay post that the US headlights seem to have an E number on them... That would be at the bottom centre of the "glass". it apeared to be E13 in a circle which would stand for Luxemburg, and above it the letters C/R and HC/R.
Could someone check thier bike and let me know? If your headlights have this european mark on them and do not light up the road more on the right than the left (or vice verser) then that could be the answer that I'm looking for...

Regards Steve.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”