ENGINE HESITATES WHEN ACCELERATING. HELP!!

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bwmatt1
Current bike(s): 2012 KAWASAKI VOYAGER 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

ENGINE HESITATES WHEN ACCELERATING. HELP!!

Post by bwmatt1 »

Lately I have been experiencing a miss, or hesitation when I turn the throttle about halfway. It idles fine, it cruises fine, and it's fine under full throttle. But at half throttle it jerks and misses and acts like its totally misfiring. Rpms are usually in the 2500-3000 range. I really noticed it while cruising in colorado. I couldn't just easily accelerate going up hills, I had to give it full throttle. Just changed the plugs...no change. Any ideas? TPS? Injectors? Valves?
Wayno
Current bike(s): 2009 voyager

Re: ENGINE HESITATES WHEN ACCELERATING. HELP!!

Post by Wayno »

How many miles?

Have you checked your fuel pick-up screen? Had a similar problem with a C109 Boulevard and it ended up being that screen. Changed it and all good. Couldn’t hurt to eliminate that for starters.
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Wayno wrote:How many miles?

Have you checked your fuel pick-up screen? Had a similar problem with a C109 Boulevard and it ended up being that screen. Changed it and all good. Couldn’t hurt to eliminate that for starters.
Had a similar problem on my '09, problem went away after 2 tanks of fuel. Bothersome, as I was on rte 2 in N. Dakota I think at the time.......

From the Voyager 1700 shop manual page 199, section 3-97: "Fuel Filter Cleaning
○The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be
cleaned or checked.
If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged,
replace it with the fuel pump as a set."

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
rockford
Current bike(s): 2010 Voyager 1700
1979 KZ 1000st

Post by rockford »

just read your post, Did you try higher octane gasoline?
VulcanRide
Current bike(s): 2016 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2000 KLX300

Post by VulcanRide »

I have the same issue, 2016 Voyager and it is also between 2,500 and 3,000 RPMs. I currently have 5,000 miles on it but it started around 600 miles.
Only when it is hot, not all the time and being winter I didn't have the issue when I rode over the last 5 months. I also live in Colorado and I have taken it to the shop but it was only in the 50's so they couldn't duplicate it.

I have put fuel treatment in (suggested by the shop) around 1,000 and did it several times and I run the highest grade you can buy 91 (it is = 93 at lower altitudes). Have been riding this winter and it still can happen but not like when it is hot. In the mid 70's this week and I got a little of but I wasn't' running hard.

If anyone out there has a solution or when it starts again for me in the coming months I will be sure to post an update.
cyberlord
Current bike(s): 2013 Suzuki C50, 2018 Kawasaki Voyager 1700

Post by cyberlord »

Just bought one and noticed this also. Not to bad running around the local highways, but a trip to Tucson and running back up I-10 the engine was running really rough.

75-80 on the interstate going up some steep hills, RPMs 2500.

This bike does not like low RPMs.

After the local shop told me the bike was running normal, and since I'm almost at the break-in mileage, I took it out on a local highway today and kept the RPMs at 3000.

It ran much better.

I'll most likely be doing Ivans ECU flash to make this bike run like it should.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”