Home made Radio Aux Plug

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

the1king
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Home made Radio Aux Plug

Post by the1king »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel Kawi could of been more generous and included the K10400-041 Aux audio plug attachement. Kawi wants $44.95 US for this adapter, I am too "frugal" to pay that for such a small, easy to make piece, so I figured out the wire colour code and wired a 1/8" stereo headphone plug directly into the wiring harness.

If anyone else is equally "frugal" (some may say cheap) the wire colours are:
Green = Ground
Blue = Right Chanel
Yellow = Left Chanel

Happy Listening

Julian
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Re: Home made Radio Aux Plug

Post by Turbo4x4 »

the1king wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel Kawi could of been more generous and included the K10400-041 Aux audio plug attachement. Kawi wants $44.95 US for this adapter, I am too "frugal" to pay that for such a small, easy to make piece, so I figured out the wire colour code and wired a 1/8" stereo headphone plug directly into the wiring harness.

Green = Ground
Blue = Right Chanel
Yellow = Left Chanel

Happy Listening

Julian
Hey, THANKS, Julian! I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who were just waiting for someone to figure this out (me for one). So, I now have my project for the next couple of days. Can't be too speedy, the wife will expect it all the time :-D
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
jrob

Post by jrob »

That's exactly how I made my Ipod connector. Used 22 gauge wire and fork spades for the male part of the connection into the aux connector.
tdiller

Post by tdiller »

I think I may have found the mp3 audio connectors. I have yet to verify them but here's a couple of links
Here is the page they are about 3/4 of the way down
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/ele ... ectors.htm

This is the male connector inside the left glovebox (pn CW34-1904KL)
http://67.20.67.198/pages/electrical_co ... ectr66.gif

This is the female connector that could be used to make your own cable from this to the minijack for a mp3 player. (pn CW34-1903KL)
http://67.20.67.198/pages/electrical_co ... ectr65.gif

I'm not sure yet what pins would be needed to make this work.

the1king wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel Kawi could of been more generous and included the K10400-041 Aux audio plug attachement. Kawi wants $44.95 US for this adapter, I am too "frugal" to pay that for such a small, easy to make piece, so I figured out the wire colour code and wired a 1/8" stereo headphone plug directly into the wiring harness.

Green = Ground
Blue = Right Chanel
Yellow = Left Chanel

Happy Listening

Julian
mike.punko

Post by mike.punko »

I first did thsi witha cheap set fo wires. had a lot of static, changed out for a higher end wire and works great now. The plug would have been nice, but I just cut adn soldered the wires for a good clean connection.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

using shielded wire is best for audio reception on any motor vehicle.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I just bought both these audio plugs. I use the jack for my phone, Pandora Radio, the Ipod plug and charger are for my 2nd hand Ipod. Like everyone here I too was shocked at the price of both of these kits, $57.99 and $104.99 plus CA tax 9%. One thing that both these kits come with is a foam pad that slides into the left pocket, which my phone slides into. The Ipod plug, comes with that same foam pad, the 30 pin plug and charger. The good thing is with the Ipod I can skip, forward or reverse, also songs are displayed on the radio screen.

Now I just need helmet speakers, more money.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
AVA boardmember
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

Kinda different subject but I have friend with a 1700 & he just purchased the factory CB and can't get any volume out of the headsets He wants to know if the cb system can be run thru the 1700 radio speaker system??
doug of no fla
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

doug of so fla wrote:Kinda different subject but I have friend with a 1700 & he just purchased the factory CB and can't get any volume out of the headsets He wants to know if the cb system can be run thru the 1700 radio speaker system??
Does he have the Kawasaki headsets? If so, he has to set the volume separately for the CB. This system is very smart. You can set the volume for the CB, Radio, and Intercom separately. You have to be in CB mode and talking while setting the volume.

I know you can listen to the stereo through the bike speakers and headsets at the same time. Haven't tried the CB.

Also, the passenger can control their volume separately from the rider with the Kawasaki passenger headset, as well as adjust their stereo, intercom, and CB volumes to different levels.
2010 Voyager 1700
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

doug of so fla wrote:Kinda different subject but I have friend with a 1700 & he just purchased the factory CB and can't get any volume out of the headsets He wants to know if the cb system can be run thru the 1700 radio speaker system??

BTW, Kawasaki made the CB so it would NOT play thru the dash speakers, only the headsets in the helmet. Clever marketing? (you have to buy the headsets and all those connecting cables) or an effort to "Keep the public CB chatter down"???

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
yarchlrl
Current bike(s): 2009 voyager 1700

Post by yarchlrl »

For me, it wasn't about cheap or frugal, it was about wanting more than a 6" cable so, I made mine today. 6' long, routed out of the storage box and on to my dash so I can use gps, phone, ipod or satellite radio. Made it today. Cost me $2.88 and took 12 minutes. Thank you for the color listing. That was the last piece of the puzzle I was missing...

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”