Alternate Radio Antenna (unintended cosmetic change)

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

crank67
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Alternate Radio Antenna (unintended cosmetic change)

Post by crank67 »

I don't know if it's the military or just that I'm anal but I like symmetry. Because of that I decided that the radio antenna just didn't look right when the CB was installed. I ended up replacing the stock antenna with a replacement auto one and the end result was WAY better reception. I stopped using my radio and just used my ipod because radio stations around my area are kinda sparse but now I can pick up more stations and keep them longer.....Win - Win :hpdc:

I went to AutoZone and got a 31" black spiral replacement antenna for a vehicle. It cost about $12.99

I bought a small bag of metric bolts from Lowes. They were M6-1.00 x 30. They cost 89 cents.

I screwed the bolt all the way into the antenna and snugged it down really good. When you do this it leaves the exact length needed when you cut the head of the bolt off.

Next I took a hacksaw and cut the head off of the bolt at the last thread.

Then I just screwed the new antenna onto the mount. Here's another view of the antenna.

The project took less than 5 minutes to complete and the results were way better than I expected!
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Cosmetic Change has unintended consequences

Post by Mr Jensee »

Great job, I love problem solving! :clap:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
vmaxed

Re: Alternate Radio Antenna (unintended cosmetic change)

Post by vmaxed »

Looks good Crank,how is your new CB working for you ?
2011 Pearl White/Vogue Silver Victory Cross Country
2009 Metallic Silver Goldwing
Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff
http://www.ednortonsr.com
crank67

Post by crank67 »

The CB is working great! Took me a little bit to figure out how to increase the CB volume. You can only do it when someone is talking....lol. The CB and Icom are really nice and I'm glad I got it.
Spoke

Post by Spoke »

Great job,i may have to copy that,the longer antenna looks like a matching set with the CB...Spoke
crank67

Post by crank67 »

Thank you.....it's about 2 or 3 inches shorter than the CB antenna but WAY less obvious than the factory one.
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

crank67,
Thanks for the info on the antenna. I ordered mine, which arrived this afternoon, and install was a piece of cake with your instructions. I did not, however, notice any significant increase in radio sensitivity, but my bike is in the garage due to all the rain, so will be better able to evaluate when I get it on the road. I have to admit, even without the CB antenna, the Autozone antenna looks far better than the factory rod in it's own right. Thanks again.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
sholin

Post by sholin »

I like the color, I was wondering where you got the second antenna mount which matches the first? Thanks Darrell
crank67

Post by crank67 »

Sholin - The "second" anteanna mount is the CB antenna. Turbo - I'm glad the install went well and you're happy with it. I hope your antenna will work better for you when you get on the road. I can get and keep radio stations way better with the added antenna but originally I was just happy with the look....
steve
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager 1700

Post by steve »

Crank,

Trunk rack looks great. Which one is it? Where did you purchase? How heavy is it? Talking with some Goldwing Riders, they say there's are really heavy and causes some extra wear and rubbing on the seal, one guy even put Oxygen tubing in the seal to keep the trunk from closing so tightly.

Thanks
Steven and Karen Tennant
2009 Voyager 1700
Columbus Georgia
crank67

Post by crank67 »

The trunk rack is a typical harley rack. In hind sight I wish I went with the smaller rack but I'm a "want it now" kinda person and didn't wait..... All in all I like it. It's a little "heavy" but I haven't had any issues with it yet.
sholin

Post by sholin »

I was looking for the second antenna mount like the one you have could you point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance Darrell :gig:
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

crank67,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you remember, I wasn't able to give you any input on the performance of the new replacement antenna from Autozone due to having my bike inside of the garage. Anyway, I've made a couple of lengthy trips since then, and this antenna is definitely an improvement over the stock antenna. Stations are stronger, and as you said, they hang in there for a longer period of time. Thanks again for the tip !!
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
crank67

Post by crank67 »

sholin wrote:I like the color, I was wondering where you got the second antenna mount which matches the first? Thanks Darrell
Sholin - the mount you refer to is the one that comes with the Kawasaki CB. I have no idea where to get it. Might want to try your Kawi dealer and see if you can just order the mount. Other than that I have no idea...sorry.
ksoileau2525
Current bike(s): 2010 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager ABS

Post by ksoileau2525 »

crank67 wrote:The CB is working great! Took me a little bit to figure out how to increase the CB volume. You can only do it when someone is talking....lol. The CB and Icom are really nice and I'm glad I got it.

I am trying to do the same thing to mine. Can you tell me the part number on the antenna from Auto Zone, so as I can get the same match you got?

Thanks, Keto
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

ksoileau2525 wrote:
crank67 wrote:The CB is working great! Took me a little bit to figure out how to increase the CB volume. You can only do it when someone is talking....lol. The CB and Icom are really nice and I'm glad I got it.
I am trying to do the same thing to mine. Can you tell me the part number on the antenna from Auto Zone, so as I can get the same match you got?

Thanks, Keto
Unfortunately, the original poster, crank67, is no longer a registered user of this forum. My suggestion would be to get an M6 1.00x30 metric bolt from Ace Hardware (or Home Depot or . . . ) and take it to you favorite autoparts store and find an antenna that fits the bolt. Crank67's antenna was a spiral type, 31" long.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
ksoileau2525

Post by ksoileau2525 »

debron wrote:
ksoileau2525 wrote:

Thanks, Keto
Unfortunately, the original poster, crank67, is no longer a registered user of this forum. My suggestion would be to get an M6 1.00x30 metric bolt from Ace Hardware (or Home Depot or . . . ) and take it to you favorite autoparts store and find an antenna that fits the bolt. Crank67's antenna was a spiral type, 31" long.

Thanks Ron. The only thing I was able to find is a 31" steel mast, painted black, at Autozone. And I have looked at any and all auto parts stores, Radio Shack, auto customizing shops, CB radio shops......you name it, and I went there. That's why I wanted to get the part number, so I could just go to Autozone, and order it. Anyway, I guess I'll just put the one I bought on the bike until I luck up and find the other one. Heck, the steel one was only 10 bucks.

Hey, thanks again Ron! Appreciate the come back. Have a good one, and stay safe out there.

Keto
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Bummer you can't find one but that post is three years old. Keep checking. eBay? Amazon?
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
ksoileau2525

Post by ksoileau2525 »

debron wrote:Bummer you can't find one but that post is three years old. Keep checking. eBay? Amazon?

WILL do!!

Thanks, Keto
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

There was a tech tip in the Voyagers Voice about the antenna from a Victory MC that is a direct bolt on to 1700 Voyager. It's from J & M audio #VAS-100, I've got it on my Voyager 1700 and it's the same height as the Radio antenna.

There's good info in the Voyagers Voice magazine, but you have to be a AVA member to receive it.

Good Luck
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”