Added accessories for VV1700 Voyager

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Added accessories for VV1700 Voyager

Post by hank43 »

Why we did this:
1: Top Box Rack - Needed so Camelback does not wear clear coat off trunk, like it did last year - Also good to bungee cord down light weight stuff.
2: Engine instrumentation - Now I know EXACTLY what the temperature is when the fans turn on, what my battery voltage is, and whether or not the generator is charging - one other feature: I am looking for another thermister, so I can add a switch, this will allow me to read engine heat, or ambient air temperature.
3: Two horns you can actually hear

How we did it:
Top Rack - Kuryakyn, one size fits all, shipped with 3 different lengths of legs, so you can keep it level on any trunk. Time to install, about 3 hours, 2 hours 55 minutes to gather enough courage to drill 4 holes, 5 minutes to select leg heights and mount. Cost including shipping and tax: $168.00

Instrumentation - Glow Shift gauges, ordered with a 2 gauge dash housing. Bright blue readouts, auto dim at night when headlights are on. (In our case, the headlights are always on, so I defeated that feature, so the readouts would be easily seen in bright sunlight)
I fabricated a plate to cover the bottom, sealed the housing with clear sealer, like you use around bathtubs. Got this at Home Depot, 8 oz. tube about $3. The handlebar mount I fabricated from a CB truck antenna mount we got last year on the way back from the Logan Rally. Mounted that on handlebars between the bar clamps, nice flat surface drilled and bolted gauge housing on, liberal amounts of sealer around the edges, piece of leather between clamp and handlebars to protect the chrome bars, bolted housing down and cleaned up excess sealer.
Water temperature sender : also ordered from Glow Shift, this clever little sender mount has 28MM hose fittings on either end, and a tapped 1/8" NPT thread for the sender to screw into in the middle. Anodized aluminum so it wont rust out. To install, you simply cut the TOP radiator hose in half, slip the sender mount in between the two halves, tighten provided hose clamps and connect gauge wires.
Carefully tape all the wires so they don't show, and tywrap to existing wire loom. Cost: $125.00 gauges, housing, sender, hose adapter, shipping and tax.

Two Horns:
Purchased both of these chrome plated plastic L O U D horns at Harbor Fright (Freight :)) for I think 8 dollars. Relay at autozone for about 4 dollars, added wire directly from battery via an in line fuse, and ground wire directly from Kawasaki central ground point under seat near gas tank mount. Installed horns with crimp on auto type connectors. Works great. Had considered dual chrome plated locomotive air horns on front fender, but our engine will not drive the compressor.

Hank

Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Added accessories for VV1700 Voyager

Post by debron »

[Photos added 11/29]
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

debron wrote:[Photos added 11/29]

Thnx Ron!

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Here are pictures of my Voyager 1700, 2012 ABS with new stainless steel brake lines installed. NorCal Voyagers sells these kits.

Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by HMB Don »

This next picture shows three lines running under the tank. One lines comes from the master cylinder, the other two go to the calipers. The stock system uses rubber lines to a point just under the front of the fuel tank. There they attach to a steel brake line to runs to the ABS actuator. When I had this kit made, I had them run the Stainless Steel brake lines all the way to the ABS actuator, giving less chance of problems.

This picture is the Clutch line. Kits include front, rear brake and clutch lines plus banjo bolts, crush washers and brackets.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Superdave54
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager
1980 Goldwing Standard
Been liked: 0

Stainless Line Kit

Post by Superdave54 »

Don,

How much did the stainless brake and clutch line kit run you? Also, how difficult was it to get all the air out of the brake lines after installation? Thanks.
"Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by HMB Don »

NorCal Voyagers Club is the distributer of the Voyager 1700, 1200 brake lines. The cost for a Voyager 1700 ABS is $258.00.

What did the brake lines cost me? I rode my Voyager down the Galfers shop in Oxnard, CA. I left it there, for them to make up the brake line kit. It was 700 miles round trip x 2 plus the car to ride back home in. My wife was my ride home and she likes to travel no more then 500 miles a day. Cost of my brake lines $1000.00. Since the club can't reimburse me, it's my cost.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Me Again »

HMB Don wrote:NorCal Voyagers Club is the distributer of the Voyager 1700, 1200 brake lines. The cost for a Voyager 1700 ABS is $258.00.

What did the brake lines cost me? I rode my Voyager down the Galfers shop in Oxnard, CA. I left it there, for them to make up the brake line kit. It was 700 miles round trip x 2 plus the car to ride back home in. My wife was my ride home and she likes to travel no more then 500 miles a day. Cost of my brake lines $1000.00. Since the club can't reimburse me, it's my cost.
Well ,since the club can't reimburse you ---- would you settle for a big thank you and a smiley face ?
boscoe
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by boscoe »

hank43 wrote:
Two Horns:
Purchased both of these chrome plated plastic L O U D horns at Harbor Fright (Freight :)) for I think 8 dollars. Relay at autozone for about 4 dollars, added wire directly from battery via an in line fuse, and ground wire directly from Kawasaki central ground point under seat near gas tank mount. Installed horns with crimp on auto type connectors. Works great. Had considered dual chrome plated locomotive air horns on front fender, but our engine will not drive the compressor.

Hank
Where/how did you mount the horns? THANKS
2011 Voyager 1700
Ebony/Pearl Meteor Gray
Bridgestone Exedra Max tires in stock sizes
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 10W-40
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

boscoe wrote:
hank43 wrote:
Two Horns:

Hank
Where/how did you mount the horns? THANKS
I put these horns on my Voyager. Mounted the relay where the stock horn was mounted.

My wife says I sound like a first responder vehicle when I blast the horns.
2010 Voyager 1700
Danny
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by Danny »

I went cobra on my trunk rack. I used masking tape to mark off the holes. I'm fearless, it took me about 45 minutes.
Pyro
Current bike(s): 2016 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
1999 Yamaha 1300 Venture

Post by Pyro »

Danny wrote:I went cobra on my trunk rack. I used masking tape to mark off the holes. I'm fearless, it took me about 45 minutes.
Danny,

I'm a new 2016 Voyager owner and would love to see pics of the Cobra Trunk mounted luggage rack on your ride. Can you post or PM some pics to me?

Pyro.
ewilberg
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by ewilberg »

Hey Don I see that your decals on your bike are rubbing off too!!! I bought too in very nice shape air box cover black that are from a vaquero. They look good on top of all that chrome and I believe the new models of the vulcan bikes has these new decals. It cost 119.00 for one of the 2016 decals....

Crash
Just some info.... Oh it took a month for Kawasaki corp to get the (5.99) parts to my local Kawasaki dealer for the recall on the ignition wires.... I had already done the fix a long time ago from the info on this site soo..... but it had to be done.
Thanks,
Crash
kawman12
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2012 Kawasaki Voyager 1700
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kawman12 »

Pyro,
go to Cobra's website and you can get pictures of their rack on a Voyager. I have the same Kuryakyn on my bike as seen in Hank's picture above, it is a nice rack.
Mike

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”