One Tire Or Two

What do you use? How many miles? What kind of tires? What oil do you use? This is where all the polls are now located.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Replace one tire or both.

One tire.
69%
Both tires.
31%

Total votes: 96

ffltstn
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): '95 Voyager
'82 KZ1000J
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

One Tire Or Two

Post by ffltstn »

I have always replaced both tires at the same time. Even though the back has worn out first. So I was wondering if it was the norm to replace both at once? Which do you do? Also anyone know of any deals right now?
Ken In Fl
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'95 Voyager
'82 KZ1000J
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: One Tire Or Two

Post by the2knights »

I work to hard for my money to replace a tire with good tread left on it! Next rear tire I am going to the dark side. I plan on that tire having a life a lot longer than my front. Replaced front 2,000 miles ago, should have about 2,500 to 3,000 left on my current rear tire.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

I replaced front and rear at different times last year on my XII (Elite 3's replacing Elite 3's) and just replaced the front tire before the Western Regional Rally. Misplaced the paperwork for when I replaced the front tire last summer but it had around 20,000 on it when I replaced it a couple of weeks ago. The rear has about 18,000 and looks to be good for well over 20,000. So no, I don't replace the tires at the same time unless they are both worn out or nearly so. As Kendall (the2knights) suggested, it's too expensive to replace tires that don't need replacing.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

I also do 1 at a time, I went darkside last year and look to get 30k out of the rear, that should be 3 fronts to a rear, my Nomad will be the same when I wear out the E-3 on the rear
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
justagrinin
Current bike(s): 2000 Voyager XII 27,500 mi.

Post by justagrinin »

Tonight I just pulled the front and back wheel my first for such, 2000 XII. All went well and will have a shop put my new Elite 3's on tomorrow. Do you have any words of wisdom I should do when I put the wheels back on. :hmm: Thanks for any suggestions.
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '92 Voyager XII
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D
Been liked: 2 times

Post by JHD »

justagrinin wrote:Tonight I just pulled the front and back wheel my first for such, 2000 XII. All went well and will have a shop put my new Elite 3's on tomorrow. Do you have any words of wisdom I should do when I put the wheels back on. :hmm: Thanks for any suggestions.
I would clean up the final drive by removing any rust/dirt on the splines. Do the same on the splines on your wheel hub. I would also check the splines on your wheel hub once you clean it. Look for damage. This is the sacrificial part (ask me how I know). I would also change your final drive gear oil if you haven't already. Check your wheel bearings front and rear. Clean/lube the speedo drive if needed. Check your brake pads/rotors/calipers. Change all brake/clutch fluid if you haven't in the last year or two. You could also lube your swingarm bearings while your at it. This all depends on how much time you have to do some extra maintenance. In the end it's worth every minute and penny you've spent.

Brad
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

I just change 1 at a time and also do some maint while it's down. but equally important when changing tires or brakes or even motorcycles, is to after you scrub the silicone off new tires by driving 100mi or so. Is to do some testing!! so you do not come up with any surprises!! down the road. Find a untraveled road and do some weaving & slow speed hard stops and high speed hard stops. and check that everything is on proper and lined up. Weather you do it or a shop does it do some above average testing. & it is also good practice for yourself.. I go overeboard but thats just me..
doug of no fla
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

I agree with what Doug said above. Also would like to add that you should check to see if your brakes calipers are back in place. I picked up my bike from a dealer once and noticed it felt a little clunky when using the front brakes and the clunking when braking seemed to get worse after 50 miles (to include giving Marcia a ride home from work). I knew something was wrong so I dropped her off and said I was going to swing by the dealer. While en route one of the front calipers fell off!

After the same visit I noticed the coolant overflow bottle was empty.

The two same day incidents above were on our Goldwing. This is also the dealer that couldn't get the carbs back on our XII correctly. Three strikes and your out!
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I would also lube the splines on the back wheel, after cleaning them, before you reinstall it. :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
96desertXII
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by 96desertXII »

I usually get 2 rear to one front on my bikes. We will see how that works on the XII. I'm a little heavy handed on the throttle and am "spirited" in the corners.

Either way I cant wait to get rid of the 404 and 491 series tires when they wear out.....so 1 at a time.
Chuck & Ruthie
1996 Voyager XII (89K and climbing)
1989 FLHS (sold)
2009 FLHTCI (sold)
2005 FLHRI (sold)
2003 FLHTCU (sold)
1978 GL1000 (sold)
1978 CB750K (sold)
1958 FLH (stolen)
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

Replaced both about 6 months ago. Back was definitely in need of replacement, front was badly cupped. (Bridgestone front had cup wear on inner part of alternating zig-zag tread pattern; bought bike used, thought it best to zero time the rubber.) Next go around, I'll probably replace both as older rubber is never good on a bike.

New Mexican shade tree mechanic at work, used car jack and pickup with wood blocking under rim to protect to break bead, 5/8" split heater hose sections for rim protectors, screw drivers suitable to opening manhole covers as tire irons and special aluminum tire tool and iron, window cleaner as lubricant, etc. (No tires or rims were harmed in producing these photos, LOL) :wnk2:

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

When I had smaller bikes I, like others here changed only the tire that needed it. This is my first (and probably my last) big touring bike. I changed both tires 10,000 miles ago because it had Dunlop 404's on it. As of today those tires, Dunlop E3's are still showing a lot of tread so I can't tell you I will change them one at a time. This set looks like they will both go the distance equally! yea! :thewave:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

My first bike, a 1971 Honda CB100 bought used in 1979 as a college student, went through 3 sets of back tires and 1 front tire before graduating in Winter 1981. (I still have the bike.) :rolling: Those were almost like changing bicycle tires, but a little tougher. (2.50x18 front, 2.75x17 or 3.00x17 rear, surprised they are now called "moped tires"). :oops: Went through Sears (they sold motorcycle tires then), and Yokohamas, later Chen Shing and Michelin Gazelles.

2nd bike, 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, replaced two back for one front more or less. Worst tires were Kenda Challengers, long life, but spooky when wet. Could scratch in 3rd gear riding on rain slick limestone paved roads. Front tire size labelling matched OEM but was larger diameter than OEM; rubbed front fender, got rid of it shortly after. Pirelli MT66 Routes were really good tires for it. :perfect10:
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Yep. That's about the right ratio of back tires to front. Totally agree. Also agree that back then (late 60's early 70's) changing tires on small bikes, I had a Yamaha 180 street scrambler then, was a breeze compared to mama bear Voyager! Peace bro!
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

Seeing you break the bead using a hydraulic jack under a pick up bumper brought back memories. My dad, the ultimate do-it-yourselfer, used to do the same thing by placing the jack under a tractor drawbar. He preferred the hot patch method of fixing inner tubes. The little metal trays that held the sulfur compound became toys for my brother and me.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
trigger12
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by trigger12 »

Most of the time I like to replace both tires at the same time. However, there have been times that the front tire is too good to replace. So I replace the rear tire with a cheap Kenda, until the front tire wear catches up. Then I shop for the best deal for both.
Mark in Southern Indiana
"...chrome and asphalt put distance between you and whatever the world can throw at you."
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

I replace the tires as they need to be, I do not necessary change both at the same time.
:thmup:
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

It all depends on how old the front tire is. But the rear about every year whether it needs it or not and the front no more then two years.
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride
duckman
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
2019 Voyager
2017 Triumph Trophy

Post by duckman »

I replace them one at a time. It's usually two backs to one front. There are exceptions in that my last set of 404s on the 03 XII both wore out at the same time with 19k+ miles on them. This set of E3's rides so much smoother but the front is actually worn almost down to the warning bar and the rear is still good. So this one will get a new front E3 over the winter while the rear rolls on. Being a conservative rider I've never had that happen before with 3 rides and really don't have an explanation.

I take the wheel to a tire shop for mounting & balance while I perform some of the preventive maintenance measures mentioned. Also do a slow test ride after to insure brakes and all works as planned.... :thmup:
Wait'in for my ride!
Stormryder
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Stormryder »

I replace as needed. I'm a trucker and gone most of the time so I don't get to put a lot of miles on in a season. Not on the bike anyway, lol. Just got my 2002 Voyager XII around Thanksgiving. It's going to get new front and back which is not the norm for me. Avon or Metzler has been recommended by an AVA member with lots of miles on the XII under his belt. He has gone to the Dark side on his and I am seriously considering it myself for my rear tire.
Stormryder
West Michigan

2002 Voyager XII

Past rides
09 HD Electra Glide
07 Suzuki C50T
81 Yamaha Seca 750
75 Goldwing
72+74 Sportsters
83 Wide Glide
75 Kaw 500 triple
72 Suzuki TS 125