New from OKC

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

New from OKC

Post by Danger4u2 »

Hi, my name is David, new to the site and the Voyager XII.
I traded my 2007 KLR650 for a 1995 Voyager XII. I checked the bike over, screws, bolts, anything loose.......
Changed the engine oil and final drive oil. Then I put 75 miles on the bike to check it out.
2 days later I hopped on the bike for an IBA Saddle Sore Winter Solstice 1000 ride. My 12th IBA ride.
Very happy with the bike. Rides nice, like a recliner. The power is great for such a heavy bike.
The only problem I had, the speedometer quit working 2 miles before my finish gas receipt.
About 200 miles into the 1058 mile ride I heard a squeaking noise every once in a while in/near
the instrument cluster. I plan on getting a receiver hitch for trailering and making a fuel cell holder.
I have to have a 350 mile range, I'm to used to the range of my BMW R1200 GSA.
I've spent the last 6 hours looking over the site. Quite a resource, thanks to all the contributors.
KX500 is Danger4u2
Go faster than everyone, you only have to look forward.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: New from OKC

Post by Mr Jensee »

As you have already found the AVA is a great resource. Glad to have you here. There is a rally planned which I am attending in Kerrville, Texas in June. Come if you can. it is a week long event. As for the speedometer not working check 3 things. See if the speedo cable is intact. Check to see that the gear on the front left hub is not broken then check the gauge itself. Used ones can be found on Ebay usually for cheap since Kawasaki probably doesn't make them anymore. Sounds like for the most part you have a great bike. Mine is not the most fun for over 2 hours of riding because my seat just plain hurts. Maybe it is due to my weight but I need to think about adding new padding. Stay safe.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

Mr Jensee wrote: Mine is not the most fun for over 2 hours of riding because my seat just plain hurts. Maybe it is due to my weight but I need to think about adding new padding. Stay safe.
I added a Airhawk -r and put a wooden bead set on top to cool it down,
and I like 'um! ... ridden 'um for years!

The combination lets me take 12 hour trips with normal body stress, but NO
sore A$$!!! It doesn't cost much to try it! Best to Ya!!!!!
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Welcome David;

I don't have the XII, but I do have the Voyager 1700. Several years ago I rode to the Corbin factory for a tour, and had a custom seat made for our trike. It was pricey, but in my opinion, you do get your monies worth. Wife and I rode down the day before our appointment, and spent the night at a motel. Next day, we rode the few blocks to the Corbin factory, spent an hour or so describing exactly what we wanted, and then went to the Corbin restaurant in the factory for breakfast, while we watched our seat being made. All areas of the factory were open to us and we skulked around and examined their vast assortment of leather and trims - (many colors), examined several of their multi-needle leather sewing machines and their special multi-needle embroidery machines. We spent time talking to their sewing ladies, as well as their technicians working on the seat itself. After a few hours, a technician came and got us to try out the contours of the seat pan and passenger seat back, my wife wanted the arm rests lowered because she is short. We take it for a ride, and return for some modifications, BEFORE the leather was applied. These people are very thorough!

We have made several cross country trips on our trike with this seat, and never had any issues with comfort. The seat has a removable rider seat back, and the rider and passenger seats are separately heated. Here is a link you can follow, I think they may make a standard issue of this seat, which can be ordered without going to the factory, but a visit is really the best way - Corbin warranties their seats to the original owner for life, if you ever have any issues, they will correct it. See the following link.

http://corbin.com/kawasaki/voyager.shtml
hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Welcome,Danger4U2,to the friendly AVA family :woohoo: As you probably know,there is a wealth of advice available for the asking on this wonderful site. :thmup: I bought a '99 8 years ago with 22,000 on it for $5000 and have added almost 51,000 to it with very little trouble.Happy riding.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike

Post by Danger4u2 »

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. My Voyager has a little more than 21,000 miles. My friend has a 1992.
He told me about the issues with the speedometer, if it quits working the cruse and the turn signal don't work.
Everything worked great before the IBA ride. The speedometer is all most the same as the KLR as far as the
drive at the wheel. I pulled the cable before the ride and it was well greased. I made sure it engaged in the speedo
and spun the wheel as I engaged it at the drive. All was good. A few hundred miles into the ride I could hear squeaking
near the speedo. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos about different aspects of the Voyager XII, very informative,
most likely posted by some of the helpful member on this site. I've been a Kawasaki guy for some time. All though I've owned
many different brands. When Kawi lands something good the they make a long run with it. I owned a Connie for some time, the KLR650
and I have a soft spot for the Great KX500.
Thanks again for the tips, I'll get some pic's posted soon.
KX500 is Danger4u2
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

It is easy to include pics now. Before it was a hassle. Just download any pictures you take from your phone or camera to your pc. when you hit reply look at the bottom for adding attachments. click on attachments and upload them from the computer and they will go onto the site. No having to resize or use a 3rd party hosting which have become money predators these days. Enjoy!
Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike

Post by Danger4u2 »

20171220_193007.jpg
KX500 is Danger4u2
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

That blue looks nice!

Return to “General Chat”