I.B.A. FAIL!/I.B.A SUCCESS!

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

I.B.A. FAIL!/I.B.A SUCCESS!

Post by Danger4u2 »

So I'm watching the weather reports for OK., TX., and AR. Things are looking good as far as night time lows.
They were forecasting 38/35 degrees for AR. Great I want to do an Iron Butt every month this year, at least that's the plan.
Having done a Saddle Sore (SS) 1000 Winter Solstice on 12/22/15, a SS 1000 in state Okla. on1/31/17 and just recently
another SS 1000 Winter Solstice on 12/21/17, I can say I'm no stranger to riding in the winter. Living in the south makes
it "sometimes easy". I ride every Christmas and New Years day if the streets are dry, even if its just around the block.
I'm here to tell you I got my butt handed to me trying to accomplish an SS 1000 in state Arkansas. The forecast was
way off, it got down to 21 degrees. I left OKC around 9pm and tossed out a sleeping bag around midnight
at the first rest stop 2 miles across the border in AR. Thought I would sleep until 4am, grab a gas receipt and hit
the course I mapped out on the GPS. Didn't sleep well, dozed off once but woke up cold at 2:45. Tossed and turned
until 3. Hung out in the heated vestibule at the visitor center to get warm, packed my gear, wiped the frost off my trusty Voyager
seat, made it to the gas station a few miles away and man was it cold. I rode 1 hour stopping at 3 different convenience stores
to warm up. I thought about letting it warm up but that would put me well into the next morning. I couldn't chance it being that
cold so I gave up my quest. The lady that ran that 3rd store said it was cool if I hung out, pun intended. At day break, around
7ish, I hopped back on west bound I-40. It was still brutal! I stopped every 20 miles or less to get warm. I finally stayed for
hot pan cakes at a McDonalds and waited until 9:30. The temperature didn't get comfortable till noon. I didn't get in any hurry because
crosswind gusts were pushing 40 miles an hour. It was tuff keeping in the center of my lane. Made it home around 3 pm.
KX500 is Danger4u2
Go faster than everyone, you only have to look forward.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: I.B.A. FAIL!

Post by cranky »

.. sounds like a great decision!!! Live and love to ride another day!!!! Better days are ahead!!
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Danger4u2
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
4 KX500's
1976 KT 250
doodle bug mini bike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: I.B.A. FAIL!/I.B.A SUCCESS!

Post by Danger4u2 »

I had to change the topic on my post. I did a trade, my '07KLR for my new to me '95 Voyager XII back in Dec. It sure is comfy for doing I.B.A. rides.
I knock out a 2fer. March 20th I did the Spring Equinox ride I needed to earn the 4 seasons award. I've done a Saddle Sore 1000 on each of the
first day of the seasons. But this one was special. An IN-CITY Insanity 1000. The Oklahoma City 1000. 1051 miles in less than 24 hours, never
leaving OKC. Rush hour traffic was brutal and the road construction was a big issue. But I pulled it off. 18 loops around OKC.
The 1200 motored right along, music to my ears. My friend joined me for 3 loops on his BMW RT1150.
I'll post up some pictures in a few days and more of how I did it.
KX500 is Danger4u2
Go faster than everyone, you only have to look forward.

Return to “General Chat”