New guy from South Dakota

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New guy from South Dakota

Post by Tat2demon »

Hey just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.

My name is Nate and Im from Sioux Falls South Dakota.

I currently have a 78 Yamaha XS1100. Its my baby but last year I had the seat redone and will no longer let my 8 year old son ride with me since it doesnt have a back rest anymore. I picked up a 79 XS11 bagger so he could still ride with me but a few days ago I was out talking to my neighbor and he said he was going to put his Voyager up for sale. When he told me how much he wanted for it I jumped on it right away. As much as I love the XS11s this is much much nicer for the two of us. I took it out for a quick test ride and was quite happy. It has 16k miles (dont believe the odometer has rolled over) and no problems other than a small coolant leak.

Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: New guy from South Dakota

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Nate Welcome, you have some very nice looking machines there.
This is the best place for information on the Voyager and as long as you maintain it, it should last long enough for your son to be riding it along side of you on your XS11. Heck there are guys with 250K to over 300K miles on their Voyagers, so you seriously have plenty of miles to go. That thing is barely broken in at this point.
There are 2 drain plugs plus the oil filter cap, when changing the oil in it be careful to pull all to ensure that you've drained all the oil. Otherwise you'll end up with too much and it will get too much air in it causing noise and possible problems. Search this site and YouTube also for very helpful videos on how-to's for your new golden baby.
:thmup: :clap: :thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by voyager55 »

Welcome aboard. I bought a XS1100 back in 1978 when they first came out. Cost me $2800. Put a Vetter Windjammer on it to.
Nice bike, but always thought it was to top heavy. Meant to go straight like the Voyager I guess.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

voyager55 wrote:Meant to go straight like the Voyager I guess.
:?: :?: My XII likes the curves just fine!

Welcome Nate to the forum and world of Voyagers!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

Thanks guys.

Really looking forward to spring. However buying it now gives me plenty of time to make sure all the proper maintenance is done.

Ive been spending the last few days and I think I have read every post of every page in the 1200 section.

Voyager55 - Yeah the XS is definitely a top heavy bike but I love it. Even for a heavy bike I still ride it like its on fire. This winter its getting a complete tear down, rebuild, powdercoat just about everything, clubman bars and rearsets. Should make it a lot more sporty than it already is.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

Tat2demon wrote:Thanks guys.

Really looking forward to spring. However buying it now gives me plenty of time to make sure all the proper maintenance is done.

Ive been spending the last few days and I think I have read every post of every page in the 1200 section.

Voyager55 - Yeah the XS is definitely a top heavy bike but I love it. Even for a heavy bike I still ride it like its on fire. This winter its getting a complete tear down, rebuild, powdercoat just about everything, clubman bars and rearsets. Should make it a lot more sporty than it already is.
Had a '79 XS1100 back in the late '80s till I had to trade it off for my daughter to have a car to get to school (work wasn't allowing for any riding time anyway). Loved it when it was upright, but with the fiberglass fairing, top-heavy it was. It would fall over if you looked at it crosswise. Fortunately the highway bars took the beating very well. It also had detachable Samsonite luggage that was very practical (plus could take the trunk off to use the mount as a rack).
You look like you have a beauty, so I am glad you still enjoy it. Curious, do you still have the kick start crank handle? I actually had to use mine a couple of times over the years I owned it (i remember it hid up behind the engine somewhere). Thanks for the memories.
Ken
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

kjsett wrote:Curious, do you still have the kick start crank handle? I actually had to use mine a couple of times over the years I owned it (i remember it hid up behind the engine somewhere). Thanks for the memories.
Ken
Yep, its still tucked up in there and has never been used. When I put in some heavy duty clutch springs this summer I didnt even bother to rewind the spring.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote:Nate Welcome, you have some very nice looking machines there.
This is the best place for information on the Voyager and as long as you maintain it, it should last long enough for your son to be riding it along side of you on your XS11. Heck there are guys with 250K to over 300K miles on their Voyagers, so you seriously have plenty of miles to go. That thing is barely broken in at this point.
There are 2 drain plugs plus the oil filter cap, when changing the oil in it be careful to pull all to ensure that you've drained all the oil. Otherwise you'll end up with too much and it will get too much air in it causing noise and possible problems. Search this site and YouTube also for very helpful videos on how-to's for your new golden baby.
:thmup: :clap: :thmup:
Also there is a wire tie under the fake tank on the left side that holds the wire from the ignition, cut that off if its not already removed, that will help keep the wires from braking because of the hard bending.
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

Nate,
Welcome to the site and congratulations on buying a XII Voyager. I'm in Gregory County and I know of a couple of other Voyagers in my area. A beautiful 2000 with a lot of accessories and a 1988.
The consignment dealer in Platte had a 1988 or '89 late in the summer. I don't know if he sold it locally or not. Enjoy you rides,
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Beautiful Yamaha Nate. I pretty much started on a Yamaha back in 68 on YCS1C at age 16. Loved that bike. At that time I thought nobody built a better machine than Yamaha. I also owned for a while a 79 GS Suzuki so I agree those big bikes are heavy. But fun to ride. I have a 2001 Voyager that I got some years back with 20,000 on the OD and it has run flawlessly since I got it with little maintenance. They are great bikes. Watch the Youtube videos to see how to remove the fairing parts to get to the coolant leaks. They were made by AVA members. These folks can help you with 90% of questions and Carl Leo a contributor and retired Voyager mechanic can help you with the rest. Welcome to the AVA.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

jre258 in SoDak wrote:Nate,
Welcome to the site and congratulations on buying a XII Voyager. I'm in Gregory County and I know of a couple of other Voyagers in my area. A beautiful 2000 with a lot of accessories and a 1988.
The consignment dealer in Platte had a 1988 or '89 late in the summer. I don't know if he sold it locally or not. Enjoy you rides,
Jim

Ah nice! I use to turkey hunt in Gregory.

Thanks Chevy, Ill check that out.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Welcome to Kawasaki's best kept secret, you will love it, what year is it? 88? I have a 88 with less than 20k on it now, found it sleeping in a guys garage for about 15 years, I got it home and brought her back to life, that was almost three years ago and it a part of the family now. I'm sure you have seen the 3qts 220z of oil, and like said above 2 drain plugs plus the filter, you say you have a small coolant leak, I don't want to say it's a common problem but it has happened before to others including me, when it sits awhile the manifold in the front of the head can leak, seems to stop after it is run and heated then goes away, the hardest thing about replacing the o-rings is getting to it. A MUST is if you park the bike for a few days is to use a Battery Tender on it, the radio draws on the battery even when the bike is off, this will also help extend your battery life. NEVER ride with the saddle bags unlocked, more than a few riders have had the lids pass them on the highway, try find a replacement for that. Any problem you have, and that won't be many, bring it up here, the folks here have managed to break just about anything that can be and figured out how to fix it.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

gearheadfla wrote:Welcome to Kawasaki's best kept secret, you will love it, what year is it? 88? I have a 88 with less than 20k on it now, found it sleeping in a guys garage for about 15 years, I got it home and brought her back to life, that was almost three years ago and it a part of the family now. I'm sure you have seen the 3qts 220z of oil, and like said above 2 drain plugs plus the filter, you say you have a small coolant leak, I don't want to say it's a common problem but it has happened before to others including me, when it sits awhile the manifold in the front of the head can leak, seems to stop after it is run and heated then goes away, the hardest thing about replacing the o-rings is getting to it. A MUST is if you park the bike for a few days is to use a Battery Tender on it, the radio draws on the battery even when the bike is off, this will also help extend your battery life. NEVER ride with the saddle bags unlocked, more than a few riders have had the lids pass them on the highway, try find a replacement for that. Any problem you have, and that won't be many, bring it up here, the folks here have managed to break just about anything that can be and figured out how to fix it.
Yep its an 88.

I think Ive read all the posts in both 1200 sections and that 3/22 rule seems to pop up quite often. Its surprising that a motor can be that picky about oil level.

The leak could very well be from sitting. My neighbor only rode it 3 times this year for a total of about 10 miles.

He did say that the battery dies if you dont keep it plugged in. I figured it was probably just a bad battery. Didnt know about the radio pulling all the time but it makes sense.

Luckily he already has tethers on the lids but still a good thing to keep track of. I cant imagine them holding together very well at 80mph if it were to pop open.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

Finally got it today. Got up to 46 this afternoon so I took it out for a while. Rides great on the interstate.

Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

sheiserman
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1989 Voyager XII
Been liked: 14 times

Post by sheiserman »

Looks good.

The warm up made its way over into Iowa too. Had to take mine out just because.
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

sheiserman wrote:Looks good.

Yeah its looking like today may be it for the year. Wont be too bad tomorrow and monday but its going downhill from there.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

Tat2demon wrote:
sheiserman wrote:Looks good.

Yeah its looking like today may be it for the year. Wont be too bad tomorrow and monday but its going downhill from there.

50°F FEELS LIKE 47°
73° HIGH 51° LOW
Fair Mostly Sunny Partly Cloudy
Winds light and variable.
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 51F. Winds light and variable.

Going to ride today (and whenever hauling stuff doesn't prevent it). Traveled from Phoenix, last week, to Albuquerque to family and took the 4wheel cage. Too much to haul and wife's bike too breezy for the mid 30's we encountered (20's at night). Might take my wife's 97 Vulcan 800 to work today as she doesn't ride it very often and it needs to have some Seafoam put in it.
I have lived and ridden in Oregon and North Dakota, so do know the pain of wanting to ride, but just couldn't do to roads and weather.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

Well its been a big week for purchases for the Voyager.

Replacement hoses and o-rings.
Heel/toe shifter
Replacement air duct and headlight adjustment knob (thanks Carl!)
K+N oil and air filters
NGK Iridium plugs
Tail light modulator
Stebel Ear Cannon
Progressive springs front and rear
Dunlop E3 front and rear

Now if it would just warm up so I could do all the work. :cold:
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 216 times

Post by SgtSlag »

I'd suggest adding some SeaFoam Engine Treatment to the crankcase before you drop the old oil. Follow directions on the can, but I believe it is 1.5 oz. per quart of oil, rounded up. Make sure to ride it through all five gears, long enough to warm the oil to 180 F, or higher (normal op-temp). This will dissolve any old varnish and carbon deposits within the engine, as well as the transmission. They will be caught by the filter, and the oil. I suggest this as the oil used in 1988, was very different from the current standard, SN type. You won't need to repeat it with modern oils.

I add SeaFoam Engine Treatment to the gas tank, around once per month, on all of my vehicles, to absorb any moisture, as well as dissolving any varnish buildup, before it becomes an issue. Haven't had carb work done since I started this routine, several years ago. It is cheap insurance.

For Winter moth-balling, I add SeaFoam Engine Treatment to the gas tank (1 oz. per gallon -- overdosing will not harm the engine, but it won't help, either), run it for two minutes to percolate it through, then shut it down, top off the tank, hook up the Battery Tender Jr., cover the bike, and wait (impatiently) for Spring. When I uncover it, she starts like I shut her down yesterday. Easy-peasy. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Tat2demon
Traveler
Traveler
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Tat2demon »

Great advice but way too late for me. Ive been a Sea Foam addict since I was a teen. All my bikes get it all the time. In the gas almost every fill up and always a splash in the case before oil changes.
Nate

78 Yamaha XS 1100
81 Yamaha XJ650
88 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Return to “General Chat”