Rear Brake Rotor

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

pasam
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rear Brake Rotor

Post by pasam »

Hi,
There has been posts on the thickness of the rear brake rotor. I'm looking for the diameter of the rear rotor. Thought it was 11.5 inches, but not sure.
Thanks, Sam in central PA
02 Voyager
Jimvoyager01
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager
Been liked: 0

Re: Rear Brake Rotor

Post by Jimvoyager01 »

The service manual doesnt talk any difference between front and or back brake disc...My front disc diameter is 11.5 in....Tonight I cannot lay down and measure the back..Regards Jim :-D :-D
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

... is it the same part number in the catalog? If so, it's the same part front/back.... JM2C
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Rear brake rotor is different than the front. Go with EBC rotor. A lot less money than OEM and a lot better rotor.
Hap
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 voyager xii
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Hap »

Greetings to all those searching for an answer to the question: “Are the Voyager XII brake rotors the same size front and rear (at least on my 1993)?”

My original stock rotors measure 2.16 inches from the center of a rotor mounting bolt to the outside edge of the rotor.

The ubiquitous EBC MD4088 (which is advertised as the replacement) measures 2.57 inches from the center of a rotor mounting bolt to the outside edge of the rotor.

I replaced my rear stock rotor with an EBC MD4088 I ordered and although I could mount it and it fit between two new brake pads (rotor was not too thick), the rear brake caliper slides were tight against the rotor, preventing it from turning the wheel. The rotor diameter is too large.

Just to be sure I took the wheel to my dealer and asked them to order and replace the rotor with an aftermarket. You guessed it: the EBC MD4088 was selected and the one they ordered was the same oversize 2.57 inches.

In conclusion (on my ’93 Voyager XII), for the rear rotor EBC MD4088 is not going to work unless it is taken to a machine shop and the diameter shaved to 2.16 inches measured from the center of a rotor mounting bolt hole to the outside edge of the rotor. As my dealer likewise confirmed that front and rear rotors ARE the same, I suspect after I get this one shaved to the right diameter it may work on the front when it comes time to replace. The only thing I’m not certain is the MD4088 rotor thickness on the front wheel. I’ll not argue with anyone if they find something different. This is what I discovered that works and does not work on my ’93 Voyager XII. Hope this helps!

Follow up 2/17/2018: Maintenance manual shows a thicker rear rotor spec than the front, so I've learned there is a difference between part numbers, BUT, the 4088 rotor diameter is 11.83 inches. While it can be mounted on the wheel, the rotor is tight against the caliper pins. Had it turned down to 11.5 inches and it fits perfect with no rub.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

EBC 4087 are front rotors for the Voyager 1200. EBC 4088 is the rear rotor. Completely different rotors and they do fit and work. I've replaced several and road many miles with them. I have 2 bikes with them now.
Hap
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 voyager xii
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Hap »

I'm glad to know that 4088 fits your machines, Voykimmer. Somewhere, sometime, someone may have modified my '96, because 4088 doesn't fit my ride. Respects, Hap

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”