Fuel pump override diagram needed

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

forestfarm
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1991 Voyager 12
2007 Harley RoadKing
1981 Honda GL500 Interstate
1996 BMW R1100RT
1971 Yamaha RT1 360
1962 Honda Benley CA95 Touring Model
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fuel pump override diagram needed

Post by forestfarm »

Could someone please post a tutorial on exactly how to install fuel pump override switch to prime the carb bowls after the bike sits for prolonged periods?I have found this topic posted before but there arent any photos or diagrams Basically just need to know location of the relay that gets jumpered and simple wiring diagram.I am fortunate to have several touring bikes and unfortunately the BMW is getting most of my riding time now.It is very disheartening to have to crank the Voyager until the battery is almost dead,not a good situation.Im certain most everyone on this forum would like to have this upgrade.Thanks in advance
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Fuel pump override diagram needed

Post by voyager55 »

Only a few over the years needed this. Not common at all Good Luck
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Actually you are not doing anything to the fuel pump circuit.... just by the way it is designed the pump will run when the bike is being turned over by the start button on the handle bar.... After that B+ COMES FROM ONE OF THE SYSTEMS POWER WIRES AND -the ground pulses from the ing. module control it. Designed so that in the event of stall or a fall, once the engine dies the pump will not run.
So with that in mind.

What we are doing is stopping the starter motor from running. Thats all. It is the same as I have mentioned before that if you want to hear if the pump is even working just reach down and unplug the starter relay solenoid .

Follow the POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE DOWN TO THE STARTER RELAY.
It is apx 8 inch's down on the left side of the bike.
Now there are four wires.
two are the heavy battery cables
the other two are the starter SOLENOID wires in a plastic connector.
Cut either one ( of the smaller wires from the connector ) back far enough to work with and install a ( Momentary push button - NORMALLY CLOSED - SWITCH too the one wire that you have cut. FOLLOW GOOD PRACTICE OF ELECTRICAL SKILL IN YOUR WIRING OF SAID SWITCH AND TERMINAL ENDS .
HERE IS HOW IT WORKS. WHEN pressed it OPENS so the starter will NOT WORK but when you press the start button on the handle bar the pump will run. Its just that simple. let it cycle for a few strokes and release the momentary- having your choke set to where you always have it to start your machine and BINGO..... LIKE IT WAS RUNNING YESTERDAY.
I hope this makes it a bit clearer.. Look up or google the MOMENTARY / NORMALLY CLOSED SWITCH TO gain a better understanding of this switch.
I have mine mounted on the right side of the CB DOOR close to the starter relay and out of my way so no accidental contact with my knee will strike it.

PS, IF YOUR BIKE IS GOING TO SIT FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS , OPEN UP THE FUSE BOX AND REMOVE THE 3AMP FUSE FOR THE RADIOS MEMORY. YOU CAN'T RUN THE PUMP OR BIKE WITH A DEAD OR WEAK BATTERY. IF your putting the bike to sleep for the winter remove that fuse and remove the battery or install a tender on it . your choice.

Gene Kap
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
forestfarm
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1991 Voyager 12
2007 Harley RoadKing
1981 Honda GL500 Interstate
1996 BMW R1100RT
1971 Yamaha RT1 360
1962 Honda Benley CA95 Touring Model
Been liked: 0

Post by forestfarm »

Thanks Gene,now i understand.I thought there was another relay before the starter relay that people were tying into.I let the bike sit for a month at a time and its almost impossible to start before the battery craps out.Once its primed it starts in a flash.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 97 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

When one of my bikes sit for a while or in the spring I just turn it over to get oil circulated then give it a shot of ether and fires right up. No need for any bypass switch.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

VoyKimmer wrote:When one of my bikes sit for a while or in the spring I just turn it over to get oil circulated then give it a shot of ether and fires right up. No need for any bypass switch.
Hello Kim, I know there was no need, and I did not do this for 90,000 miles. But doing my 3 to 4 time a year carb bowl drain and flush it sure does make it a bit easier. I had several people ask me about this , so I thought I should look into it and do it on my bike first. I should have had the 100000 mile mark reached by this years end but it was just not in the cards, what with all the issues I have been encountering. Hoping for a better year in 2018 and getting together with everyone in Texas.
Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 97 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Yes Gene I can see how it could be handy. I drain my carbs for winter storage and also before a long trip although I'm in southern Georgia right now on my way to Florida on my 96 and haven't done nothing to it. Been running the peeve out of it this year all over the place and running good. Got almost 80,000 on my 02 and it's giving me fits but nothing I can't fix. Missed you in Nashville Indiana and couldn't make the MAV ride in. Hope to see you in Texas. Will get the 02 running right and take it.
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

ekap1200 wrote:Actually you are not doing anything to the fuel pump circuit.... just by the way it is designed the pump will run when the bike is being turned over by the start button on the handle bar.... After that B+ COMES FROM ONE OF THE SYSTEMS POWER WIRES AND -the ground pulses from the ing. module control it. Designed so that in the event of stall or a fall, once the engine dies the pump will not run. So with that in mind. What we are doing is stopping the starter motor from running. Thats all. It is the same as I have mentioned before that if you want to hear if the pump is even working just reach down and unplug the starter relay solenoid.
Gene, when it comes time for mine to be replaced, what I'd like to try is figure a way to install and wire in an oil pressure switch in with the generic aftermarket fuel pump. Cranking the motor starts the oil pump, which pressurizes the oil galleries causing the switch to turn on, which kicks the pump into action. Kill the motor, oil pressure drops and the fuel pump quits as well. Then it would behave just as some car electric fuel pumps for carbureted systems behave. Anyway, haven't crossed that bridge yet and the trick would where on the engine block / head to tap off an oil gallery, and threading adapters needed.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”