2001 voyager stock clarion radio mp3?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Mrshaunyd
Current bike(s): 2001 voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2001 voyager stock clarion radio mp3?

Post by Mrshaunyd »

I seen a video on YouTube were some one was using an iphone with the radio? Anyone know how to do this?
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: 2001 voyager stock clarion radio mp3?

Post by Mr Jensee »

Not on the original Voyager XII with the unmodified Clarion Radio. Contact member Pete Franchi if you want your radio modified. He can replace the outdated tape deck with a number of options. He has a website too but I don't know it off hand. The only option that you have that is not expensive is to buy a miniature transmitter that allows you to plug your phone or mp3 player into it and it will broadcast through your radio on a fixed FM Channel. Amazon sells them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... UYEW5J2YD1
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager Xii (zg1200)
Been liked: 18 times

Post by krasmu »

Been doing it on my bike for over a year now. Love it.
I sent my stereo to Pete and had him install the Auxiliary input jack. Then I installed a jack extension cord jack from the new input jack on the back of the stereo, to the inside of my right hand glove box. I also, installed a dual USB power port inside that glove box. I purchased a (SoundBot sb360) hands free, Bluetooth adapter. This device has a control fob with a mic and radio controls, which I mounted with the enclosed magnet to the cruise counsel. It has two wire leads coming off of it, one plugs into the Auxiliary input jack and the other into the USB power-port. Your phone syncs up to it very nicely, through Bluetooth and you control your phone from it. It is designed to be used in a car and will allow you to answer your phone through it as well. I would never do this on the bike, but because this is completely plug and play, it moves from car to car in seconds. Google the unit and you will find U-tube videos showing how it works. It may sound complicated by the way I described it but it is very easy to install and work great.
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself."-Charles Chaplin
dsmmrm
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
Been liked: 2 times

Post by dsmmrm »

I'd like to do Pete's mod but at present it's not in the cards. Instead, being the cheap barsteward that I am, I am just using a cassette to 1/8" adapter and can enjoy Pandora radio on the ride all day long. It might not be elegant but for $6 or so you can't beat the price. I use my phone for GPS so it's already in a ram mount on the handlebars so running the cord from the radio to the phone at that point is a no brainer. I put in a usb power tap so the phone is powered as well.
--
Dave Morrow
Vermilion, Ohio
small herd of kaws
keithlp
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 voyager
1983 yamaha venture
1997 bmw r1100rt
Been liked: 0

Post by keithlp »

I was using a MP3 cassette adapter until two years ago and was satisfied with it until my cassette player started to act up. I sent it to Pete for the conversion, he told me my player was on it's last leg. His price is not cheap but I think it was worth it. He does good work. I kept the handlebar controls and when using my Iphone via Bluetooth I can advance to the next song with the seek button. I bought a Bluetooth FM transmitter like a previous poster mentioned earlier a few weeks ago for my car. I had tried FM transmitters a few years ago and wasn't very impressed with them but this one works very good in my car and my truck at work. I tried it on the Voyager but only in the garage. I think it should have enough volume most of the time. Might not be enough at 70 mph on a windy day but I have trouble hearing my stereo then the way it is now.
Another option to consider is Bluetooth speakers. No experience with these but they seem to be getting good reviews on Amazon. It would take some engineering to mount them but all they need for wiring is a ground and power connection. If you still have the stock speakers their days could be numbered, I had to replace mine with Pioneer speakers but it was an improvement over the stock ones.
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

Several ways to do it without modifying the radio. One is an FM transmitter connected to the earphone output of the iPhone. I've got one of those, plug it occasionally into my cig lighter socket. Set frequency to unused portion of the FM band, tune radio to pick it up. Another is an FM transmitter with Bluetooth input.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

I'm planning on installing one of these (see below) in my 86 1300. Plan is to gut the cassette deck (which works perfectly by the way so I purchased a non-nonfunctional unit off eBay) and install the board in the cassette chassis (I have to keep the bike visually stock for insurance purposes). I'll wire the cassette deck control buttons/knobs to the buttons on the board. The audio output from the board will plug into the cassette position of the Voyager's sound mixer. The board has an FM receiver (which I won't use), Bluetooth, micro and regular USB interfaces, and a SD card slot. I'll route the USB connector to an outlet on the faring so I can just plug in an updated tune list when required. Cost was about 8 bucks including a remote control which is not of any use in this case as it's IR.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”