Fuel Sarvation 1986 Voyager

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Fuel Sarvation 1986 Voyager

Post by bamboozer »

Buying a set of rebuilt carbs would be nice, but I do not have the money. I either fix it myself or sell it as a parts bike. Dare say getting the carbs out is a total PITA as this is in no way an easy to work on bike. I'll give it a shot, if I fail I'll sell it and be done. We shall see.
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '92 Voyager XII
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D
Been liked: 2 times

Post by JHD »

You can get a carb kit from Murph's Kits. These are sold for the Concours, but work for the Voyager also. I use an o-ring hook and scribe set that I bought at HF to help get the air box flanges on.
bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by bamboozer »

On the advice of my ex mechanic buddy I'm draining every drop of fuel that I can. I've opened the drains in the float bowls and used the pump to empty the tank, I then removed the fuel filter and aimed the hose at the ground between the frame and engine to gravity feed out the last few drops. I reconnected the pump/filter and ran the pump a bit with the float bowl drains out but got nothing. Putting the drains back in and adding fresh fuel I just bought. Fingers crossed because I really don't want to mess with the carbs. Should be noted that working on the carbs does not bother me, it's getting them off the bike and then back on.
bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by bamboozer »

Failure, makes the "wants to start " sound and that's about it. Will have at it for awhile longer but will not put anymore money into it as I think it's destiny is as a part bike.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 96 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Bamboozer, Did you ever try running the output tube into a container or bucket to confirm fuel is coming from the pump and making it thru the filter ok. Do not hook it to the carbs. Run it directly into a container.
bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by bamboozer »

Yep, drained the tank from the pump, strong output as the pump is new. I'm going to sell the bike for whatever I can get for it, sad, but it's time to go.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 96 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Well then all your floats are stuck up. Carbs probably need rebuilt. I have a rebuilt carb set that Carl Leo just did for me to change out my 2002 carbs. Not looking forward to it but I have all winter to do it and will call Carl for advice when needed. Just recently removed overhauled and replaced my water pump. Terrible job and never want to do it again but did get it done. Save up some money remove the carbs and send them to Carl to rebuild. You won't be sorry.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

bamboozer wrote:Yep, drained the tank from the pump, strong output as the pump is new. I'm going to sell the bike for whatever I can get for it, sad, but it's time to go.
.. Ya know Ya gotta finish it now, don't Ya????!!!!! At least to the point Ya hear 'er roar!!!!!
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by bamboozer »

I wish I could see it thru, but I cannot put any more money into the bike. But it's my loss and your potential gain as I'll sell it cheap as a parts bike or fixer upper. I cannot bring myself to part it out, even though it would raise more money. I'll put it in the classifieds here as soon as I get some pictures.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

... sorry, not gonna go back thru all this... have Ya had a good wrench look over
yer shoulder and help Ya????!!!!! Sometimes another pair of eyes.... After all
you've been thru, there hasta be something Ya overlooked.....

I mean, take the hose that goes to the carbs, stick a funnel in it and
fill it with gas!!! ....the carbs gotta fill up!!!!!! ... I'd think... 'less
all 4 are mucked up.....
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
bamboozer
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by bamboozer »

Yes, he has 25 years experience working on bikes and as a service manager at Diamond Motor sports in Dover. I know it can be done, it's just that I'm not up to it.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

bamboozler I would gladly trade my problem for yours. I have 2 Voyagers sitting in my garage. One is going to require the complete removal of the engine to repair a transmission that wont shift. The 2nd Voyager is a dead friends in which requires a ton of work because it has sat in a shed for at least two years. I had to clean and still cleaning a ton of grime off her, I had to rebuild all three brakes. Still hoping I can salvage the rusted up brake disks. Had to change all the filters and fluids, finding the fuel filter was a trip into the twilight zone. I know the fuel pump works because cranking it has flooded my garage with gasoline. I have to remove the carbs and get them to Carl before I can get this bike even started. If you are getting spark, the starting fluid proved you do, you have air and you've proved that the fuel pump works, means you have to rebuild the carbs. current gasoline just gets nasty too quickly. Box them up and send them to Carl. He wont charge much and instead of parting the bike out you will have something to really ride. I get to pull the carbs off tomorrow. Not looking forward to it but it cant be any harder than removing and reinstalling them on a Kawasaki ZRX1100. I did. I survived and walked away with a sense of accomplishment.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”