Water pump oil leak.. another one, sigh

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Water pump oil leak.. another one, sigh

Post by cranky »

I know it's been beat to death, but now I got the problem!!! ... sigh..

I had my wrench put in a new pump and all new seals @7K miles ago for a leak.....
yup, got another leak....

I "assume" that the oil seal is leaking.... what is the best fix to put new seals in and
make sure they stay!!!!!

I read the one about blue locktite... also read where Carl suggested epoxy... epoxy scares me...
I'd personally prefer locktite.... a little less forgiving...

What say the forum, new round of seals and blue locktite on the oil seal?

Other thoughts? Thanks for your time.... I'd like to run @10K this year... and don't
want to leave a trail!!! GBG
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Water pump oil leak.. another one, sigh

Post by doug of so fla »

No. 1, Don't assume the oil seal is leaking. Find where and what is leaking. Reason I say that is the "wrench" may have made a error installing kit . Have never heard of a oil seal leaking again after a proper install. (I think they were put in wrong at factory) imho...

To check if it is the seal:: If you have a magnifying mirror & flashlite, (aim lite at mirror) place it under exhaust pipes and look up under engine to the water pump and there is a space between the pump and the engine about a 1/4" wide and 1" long, in that little space you can see the "WEEP" hole for the pump. If after you clean that area with a spray cleaner and dry it, you see lube in the weep hole as the engine is running, that tells you the seal is bad, if it stays dry it is the big o-ring around the pump body that goes into the engine. IF the pump has been split in half it may be one of those bolts or the formed gasket in it is bad.

As far as I know, Carl is the only place you can get the PROPER seal kit for that pump. There is no KAW KIT per se, Carl gives you exactly what you will need in the KIT he personally makes up.

Example: when the leaking seal is observed, taken out for the first time, the seal is at the outer end of the pump housing on the shaft, so someone may put the new seal in at that same position, IT WILL leak again this way very soon (7000mi). the new seal should go all the way in as far as you can get it into the hsg. Blue loctite or a epoxy on the outer edge of the seal where it rides on the hsg is good.

FYI, imho I and others think that if you have more than 3qts 22oz oil in engine, this is a cause for the seal to work loose and leak.

The o-rings for the hsg are VERY fragile and upon install could have been nicked. I use a 3m rubber lube when doing seals & o-ring work. Great stuff!!! especially on the o-rings on the pipes that go into the pump. Those and the o-rings on the water pipe manifold in front of the engine can get cut just by looking at them!!!..

If you had a PAID "wrench" to do the job, you should be able work with him as warranty.
new seals should last 100,000mi +++++ Best of luck with it. Ride safe..
doug of no fla
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by voyager55 »

Great info Doug :thmup:
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cranky »

... much appreciate the info!!!! I sent Carl a note about the O rings....
I wasn't sure if he was still "in the game" or not... Thanks!!!! :thmup:
San Jose, KalEfornYa
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cranky »

Resolution was!!!!"

I talked to Carl Leo and he said to get a new seal and Epoxy it into the pump!!!

I was a tad reluctant, but I figured I had nothing much to lose.. so I had my wrench
do it... and so for so good!!!! The Epoxy outta keep it in place!!! And I guess
Kawasaki, when they designed this... just hoped it would stay in place!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by cushman eagle »

When I did mine,I used blue locktite :thmup: After several years,it is still holding.When I removed the original,I saw no wear on it,and I felt I could have just glued it in place and it would have been fixed. :thk:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

cushman eagle wrote:When I did mine,I used blue locktite :thmup: After several years,it is still holding.When I removed the original,I saw no wear on it,and I felt I could have just glued it in place and it would have been fixed. :thk:
Same here Loren, I either used blue or red , depending what I had on the shelf. That was APX 75 to 80,000 miles ago.
Key here is CLEAN METAL, I try to keep Loc-tite cleaner , in spray or liquid but MEK on a cotton swab works just as well. Then swab the sealer around the bore and, seal OD, with 1~2 drops.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”