oil leak...gasket?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

seabreeze-1
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 kawasaki voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

oil leak...gasket?

Post by seabreeze-1 »

So...let the bike warm up..only to find its dripping oil ..seems to come from the rear of the oil pan. Ill assume its the gasket ??
What is the easiest way to remove the oil pan. Step by step instructions would be helpful :)
Can someone send me Carls contact info?
d
seabreeze-1
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 kawasaki voyager
Been liked: 0

Re: oil leak...gasket?

Post by seabreeze-1 »

after further inspection..seems ive got it narrowed down to water pump.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

.. just went thru that... 7,000 miles after a brand new one and all seals/O rings...
I talked to Carl, he said to epoxy the new oil seal in place so it won't slip/spin...

It won't leak again!!!!! FWIW
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

cranky wrote:.. just went thru that... 7,000 miles after a brand new one and all seals/O rings...
I talked to Carl, he said to epoxy the new oil seal in place so it won't slip/spin...

It won't leak again!!!!! FWIW

And by EPOXY we mean a bit of red loctite wiped onto the outer new seal perimeter with a cotton swab with all things clean and grease and oil free. And I do mean just wet the outside of the seal. Don't go crazy.... let stand overnight and add the correct amount of engine oil . no more no less.
Do you have it apart yet. and is it from the seal that has walked out of the bore ? put a little grease on the shaft , don't get any on the seal where you are going to put some loctite. And be careful of the o-ring on the pump to the engine. use some lube to aid in getting it into the engine it could also leak there. you will see when you get things apart.
Gene Kap.

http://i61.tinypic.com/w4uw2.jpg
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 94 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

For me the hardest part of this job are the cooling tubes to the pump and the housing. If you don't put them on completely straight the o rings will not seal properly pinch or roll. I took the radiator out for maximum clearance but some did not have to do this. Good luck.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 793 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by cushman eagle »

seabreeze-1,If you do pull the radiator to remove your water pump,I highly recommend going one step deeper,and pull the water manifold right behind it to change the o-rings. :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”