New Yamaha Star Venture

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

azulihawx
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New Yamaha Star Venture

Post by azulihawx »

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... ealed.html
http://ridermagazine.com/2017/06/05/201 ... ok-review/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8IfqL4zpw

Can't wait to demo one of these.Looks impressive.I expected them to use the 1700cc V-4 from the V-Max.But this motor should
be a beast.I rode a Stratoliner at a demo a few years ago,and it's motor was very strong.Interested in how it stacks up to the
Roadmaster and HD Milwaukee 8 tourers.Time for Ma Kaw to upgrade the Voyager,especially the infotainment system.
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2017 Victory Vision
1996 Voyager (Just sold)
1981 GPZ 550 (Previous bike)

Re: New Yamaha Star Venture

Post by Tonyvdb »

Ya, there is alot of chatter on other forms about this new bike. It has a good look and options galore.
2017 Gloss black Victory Vision
1996 Kawasaki Voyager Just sold
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by the2knights »

I must admit that is a really good looking bike, can only imagine how great that bike would be with a V4 stuffed inside that body work. As good as it looks I really wish it was not a Vtwin.
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

the2knights wrote:I must admit that is a really good looking bike, can only imagine how great that bike would be with a V4 stuffed inside that body work. As good as it looks I really wish it was not a Vtwin.
I'll agree with that. I'm sorry, while it is a great looking bike (love the headlights), and I'm sure quite confident and good handling, I still prefer the smoothness and sound of a four or even six cylinder. The V4 would have been my choice also, but I'm sure that those that think nothing but a V-Twin will do will be happy. Also very surprised that it is AIR COOLED, instead of liquid cooled.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Gorgeous looking Yamaha. I almost wish I had $25,000 to throw down on another bike. I would probably have to rent space somewhere to park it though. I am not getting rid of my Voyager.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2017 Victory Vision
1996 Voyager (Just sold)
1981 GPZ 550 (Previous bike)

Post by Tonyvdb »

Going from the Voyager to my nw Victory Vision that is a V twin I can say that its not as bad as I thought. Its actually very smooth and although a but louder than the 4 at highway speed its not alot different and with a 6 speed transmission it cruses at 75mi per hour in around 2000rpm and does not even touch 3000rpm at 85mi.

This Yamaha looks a little like a cross between a Vision and a Goldwing. That 6.6gal fuel tank is awesome!
2017 Gloss black Victory Vision
1996 Kawasaki Voyager Just sold
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
823JIM
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Honda Goldwing
2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII (SOLD)
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by 823JIM »

Really like the looks of this bike, nicely equipped but lost me with the V-Twin.
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

650 Kaw "Glory Days"
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

I just got through watching more videos of the New Venture and I have to say, for a V Twin this bike is a total winner. Do you hear that Kawasaki? This bike is far above anything Kawasaki has produced in a long time both visually and technically. Kawasaki cant even come up with a retractable windshield. Keep it up Yamaha. You were my first love back when I was a kid and you are doing it again.
823JIM
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Honda Goldwing
2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII (SOLD)
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by 823JIM »

I rode one a week ago at Sturgis. Very comfortable bike, low center of gravity. Easiest bike to ride of all the bagger (touring bikes) I demo rode. Lots of really nice accessories, wind shield very nice. Very narrow power band, on rev limiter at 4500 rpm. Less responsive than HD Ultra and needs lots of shifting. Should have been a multi cylinder liquid cooled engine. Why is everyone trying to build an HD motor when multi cylinder makes the best touring engines, smoother and more power.
Attachments
Gas to noise.jpg
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

650 Kaw "Glory Days"
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

They are attempting to compete head on with H-D. Goldwing OTOH doesn't attempt that, instead making their own statement. There appears to be a change over the motorcycle landscape. A weekend ago, Christian Motorcyclist Association set up an outdoor hospitality booth off I-25 near Colorado border to New Mexico. Years past, bikes would stop off, get refreshments, take a short breather before continuing on to Sturgis. This time, there were very few individual and group bikers on the highway. Most were trailered motorcycles who weren't stopping.

To California and back, I noticed less motorcyclists on I-40. Attendance is down overall at local motorcycling events. A bike repair and consignment shop in Farwell Texas, near Clovis closed their doors. Owner found another job. Heard at one point he was driving a truck.

The Yamaha is priced near the same as the H-D full tourers. Especially with air cooling, seems they lost their uniqueness. I wonder how well it will sell, especially in this economy. I can handle the XII's weight. I don't know that I would like to lug an extra 200 lbs., and it is priced beyond my interest.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

Good post George. I agree with the changing landscape. As much as I love my Voyager, if I attend the rally next June I am going to have to have a trailer hitch mounted to the Kia. My Sonata with a V6 had one and had no problem towing the bike on a trailer. I road up to east Texas 3 years ago before I was put on dialysis and my butt hurt so bad after the trip I questioned how others can ride so long and so far and still walk.

As for the new Yamaha, if you are not independently rich or have a great retirement plan, it is going to be hard to justify spending so much money on a joy toy after retirement. I know I cant. And this is what these things are, joy toys. Nobody has a motorcycle as their only or predominant source of transportation these days. Justifying buying one is hard for a lot of Americans, especially when employment and salaries are down for the working class. Do you want great looks and technology or buying a classic Harley with a brotherhood already established among the older riders. Best of luck Yamaha for the effort. I applaud you.

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”