KZ 440LTD signal lights

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

KZ 440LTD signal lights

Post by Stoogefan »

Evening all. Once again, I must pick the brains of the Kawi universe .....

A few weeks ago, I picked up an '81 KZ440 LTD for my wife (her first bike .. :woohoo:
Got it thru the safety check and she's on the road learning to ride.
Today, I attempted to switch out the signal lights. She wants something a bit smaller ... a little more modern. Both old and new signals are 2-wire, single filament bulb lights. Nothing is LED, etc. Just plain old 12v ... everything the old girl should like.
The new signals don't flash. They light just fine, but no flash. I tried reversing the wires. I tried just the two front alone, then the two back by themselves, then all four.
Finally, I just re-installed the originals so she can ride for now ..... they work just fine.

Any ideas ?
"Stoogefan"
Jeff - SW Ontario, Canada
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: KZ 440LTD signal lights

Post by ghostler »

Jeff, the bulbs probably don't draw enough electrical current for the standard OEM flasher relay to work. Change out the flasher relay for one that is heavy duty, rated for all bulbs ought to work. Down side is then, if a bulb burns out, it will still flash.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

Thanks George. That was my next idea.
I went to my local parts place yesterday and bought a 12v flasher relay for a car, but I haven't had time to switch it out yet.
I'll be sure to let you know the outcome ... the wife will either be happy, or not .. LOL
"Stoogefan"
Thud300
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Thud300 »

If I recall, the old heavy duty flasher was a #552.
Returning neglected Kawasakis to glory since 2014
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

The 552 is an age old stand by and is cheap.

I've even used a 3 prong flasher. Caveat is they are wired a little different. One pin is for the indicator lamp, which is unused for a 2 pin situation. One can't connect those directly to the motorcycle 2 pin connector, pinout is wrong. I ended up making a short jumper adapter with a short piece of 16 gauge wire, female spade on one end, male spade on the other. Then routed the motorcycle connector to the correct 3 prong pins, it worked. I used 3 prong on both to my 1971 Honda CB100 and my 1986 Suzuki LS650 Savage. (OEM motorcycle flashers were expensive.)

One can make use of the unused indicator lamp pin on a 3 pin flasher. Back in 1980, I bought an inexpensive but loud Radio Shack piezo buzzer rate at 6 - 8 volts on the CB100, double stick taped it to the frame near the flasher under the left cover. 6 volt turn indicator lamp on the speedometer are hard to see in daylight. I had a habit of leaving the flasher on, CB100 turn switch doesn't have auto cancel. Loud beep at a stop reminded me to turn signals off. (Bikes use an ingenious wiring method to use a 2 prong flasher to flash a single turn indicator lamp.)

Another caveat to using auto flashers is coming up with a way to mount to frame. Motorcycle one has a rubber mount that slides onto a welded sheet metal tang on the frame. I've used a short piece of 5/8" auto heater hose, hooked over the tang and nylon wire tied the flasher to it. In some cases, especially under the tank there is not much clearance, OEM fit does a better job. On a naked bike jury rigging to get the clearances needed sometimes posses a slight unslightliness that is difficult to mitigate. The Savage was such a bike. I finally replaced my improvised setup with an Emgo aftermarket.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Stoogefan
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Stoogefan »

:woohoo:
All is well with the 440 .... picked up the $6.00 2-pin relay at the local parts store and we're good to go. Wife is happy again :bowdn:

Thanks for all the help folks, as usual.
"Stoogefan"

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”