Searched for a lightweight bike to haul on work trips

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Searched for a lightweight bike to haul on work trips

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Last June I had the opportunity to do an extended work trip to NM and CA. I put my KLX250S in the truck bed and packed up some camping gear for my off days. I used that little bike to it's limits on that trip. 70 mph indicated was all she would give me and the knobbies wore out real fast on the pavement.

Here are some highlight photos.

Camping near Alamogordo, NM

Riding jeep trails with from 4000 to 7000 foot elevation

Near Cloudcroft, NM

Ventura Pier

Mountain roads east and north of Ventura

Camping near Hearst Castle

Pacific Coast Highway from Hearst Castle to Monterey

San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff

The KLX250S is a sub 300 lb motorcycle. It is great for what it is designed for. After that trip, I started researching lightweight street bikes that would be more capable than the little dual sport but as light as possible.

I even tried loading my Moto Guzzi Café Classic and did haul my Versys 650 which told me I need a bike under 400 lbs. Both bikes required 3 ramps for me to balance them while loading and unloading.

Here is the Versys in the truck. Not easy to load and unload and affected fuel economy.

I looked and test rode several bikes. The KTM Duke 390, Duke 690, Honda CB300F were ones I test rode. They are all single cylinder bikes and didn't check all the boxes. The Honda 500s are well over 400lbs which was the limit I put on myself. I also rode the Ducati Scrambler even though it was over 400lbs. The bike that kept popping up was the Yamaha FZ-07. Wet weight under 400 lbs. Plenty of power. Can mount shields and hard bags if wanted. There were no deals to be made on the FZ-07 though so I decided to wait for a used one or a leftover.

This past Saturday I did a search and found a great price on a leftover 2015. The only problem was that the bike was 6 hours away and I had time constraints that kept me from making the drive. I decided to call all the dealers within 3 hours and see what I could do. I found this one an hour from my house. I did have to pay a little more, but in the end decided it was worth it.

As you can see compared to the Versys in the truck, this one will be more stream lined and was easy to load and unload with one ramp.

Oh, and the dealer threw in the 2015 poster to sweeten the deal as well as cost plus 10 percent on accessories.
2010 Voyager 1700
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Searched for a lightweight bike to haul on work trips

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Here is a photo of the FZ-07 with full Givi bags. Also, Givi windscreen, hand guards, and tank bag. If I decide it could replace the Versys, I will get the framework to mount my bags.

There are choices in windshields to cover everyone's wants. I prefer a flyscreen for looks over purely naked, but I enjoy being in the clean air instead of buffeting behind a windshield.

Of course, with all that said, the Triumph trophy is almost too much wind protection. It is like riding in a convertible when the windshield is raised.
2010 Voyager 1700
lockwoodjohn
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki 1200 Voyager VII

Post by lockwoodjohn »

David, Nice looking bike! Hope it does well for you!! My gosh I would give anything to ride any bike here right now. Fingerlakes region in New York state, Just to cold to do any riding. 3 degrees to 22 degrees outside now. Good luck and have fun!!
lockwoodjohn, John Kinney
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Me Again »

Hi John
Since you did not mention 2 feet of snow ,I am going to assume it missed you :wnk2:
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Dave, great pics, looks like you had a great time. I sure do miss the light weight bikes and running on dirt.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Thank you for the pictures of the beautiful scenery :thmup: David.lockwoodjohn,I feel your pain,it has been a month since I had riding weather :cry2: :cold:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
lockwoodjohn
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki 1200 Voyager VII

Post by lockwoodjohn »

David, Yes!! The big storm missed us!!

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”