Planning trip to Arkansas this summer...

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 216 times

Planning trip to Arkansas this summer...

Post by SgtSlag »

Got a M/C-specific booklet from the State's tourism board, featuring 21 paved M/C routes! Probably more miles than we can muster in our limited vacation time, and consider we have to ride to the State before we can start our actual 'tour'. The photo's within the book show a great many white-colored, blacktop roadways -- I assume the tar is mainly sun-bleached, but it looks to be in decent condition, with relatively smooth patch-work done... Any comments on which routes are at the top of the "must see" list? Sorry, this is more geared to locals in the State of Arkansas, but if any of you have routes to recommend, please shout out. Cheers! ;-)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Planning trip to Arkansas this summer...

Post by Mr Jensee »

Arkansas has excellent roads for riding any kind of motorcycle. You will find the most winding and scary ones (hey, I'm a flatlander) near the Missouri border. I have ridden many miles on the ones in the upper north eastern and central part of the state and found them nearly pothole free. Most of the roads appear to be paved mostly with limestone. I know they will wear tires down pretty quickly. If you go in the spring and fall you won't be disappointed. I don't recommend you ride too early in the morning, near dark or in fog because the deer are numerous then. Scenic route hwy 7 is a good place to start. If you can track up from Hot Springs through Jessieville and northward then hit Hwy 123 you will find some of the nicest winding roads around.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by usmalenurse »

I've only been through Arkansas once on the bike but loved the area around Eureka Springs and would love to make it back to stay a few days in that area. 62 from Rogers over to Eureka Springs is a nice jaunt through countryside and mountains and I've heard the 187 loop just west and also north of ES is worth a ride through. Also just east of ES, 302 down to 221 and east to Berryville is "supposed" to be a good run although I've not tried it yet. I rode in from Missouri on 23 and went out on 62 and only spent one night in ES. Plan to try to make it back to ES with the missus one of these days. Nice little mountain town and some nice riding in the area. Would definitely give it a ride through if nothing else..
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Mr Jensee wrote:Arkansas has excellent roads for riding any kind of motorcycle. You will find the most winding and scary ones (hey, I'm a flatlander) near the Missouri border. I have ridden many miles on the ones in the upper north eastern and central part of the state and found them nearly pothole free. Most of the roads appear to be paved mostly with limestone. I know they will wear tires down pretty quickly. If you go in the spring and fall you won't be disappointed. I don't recommend you ride too early in the morning, near dark or in fog because the deer are numerous then. Scenic route hwy 7 is a good place to start. If you can track up from Hot Springs through Jessieville and northward then hit Hwy 123 you will find some of the nicest winding roads around.
Would you please explain what the term [pothole free] means? Those of us in Ohio don't grasp the meaning of that term :gig: :laughing: :rolling:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Me Again »

cushman eagle wrote: Would you please explain what the term [pothole free] means? Those of us in Ohio don't grasp the meaning of that term :gig: :laughing: :rolling:
No marijuana bars ?
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

In California, they have special crews to install potholes. I saw some of them Saturday, the potholes wern't quite done yet, so they installed some steel plates to cover them up till they were. These are sometimes called inverted potholes, front wheel musta jumped 4 inches when I hit that. :wnk2:

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Heck the city done put me a pothole in my sidewalk! They had to replace my leaking water meter. Pot hole is a term in Louisiana that describes a hole with asphalt, concrete, or limestone around it. Used primarily for vehicles to navigate around. I assume it began as some sort of dodge game but recently the potholes have become too numerous to miss. :hpdc:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”