Inside the world of Carl Leo

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Robert in Arkansas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Inside the world of Carl Leo

Post by Robert in Arkansas »

I've got the January edition of Riding South up on the web at http://www.ridingsouthmagazine.com
It includes a story and photos about our own Mr. Leo, more thoughts by Barry Bowman on motorcycle perfection, a review of the Ninja 650, New Year's Day rides and more.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Inside the world of Carl Leo

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Just read the articles on Carl Leo and the Ninja 650.

I would love to go see Carl Leo's operation. I may just have to plan a trip out that way. Looks like he has plenty of room for me to pitch a tent.

I now have 7500 miles on my '07 Ninja 650. I have done 1700 mile rides on the bike on all curvy two lane roads and am actually as comfortable on the Ninja as on the Voyager. My low fuel light usually comes on at about 175 miles unless I am doing a hard deceleration which might cause it to come on momentarily. I found the comment about Kawasaki using the name "Ninja" interesting since they have used the name for the 250cc Ninja and 500cc Ninja since the late 1980s and both of those bikes are parallel twins.

As a side note. The fuel injectors used in the Ninja 650 are what the new VV will have. The bike starts flawlessly in all weather conditions. Even after letting sit for 3 weeks. (which is rare for me).
2010 Voyager 1700
Robert in Arkansas

Good catch on the Ninja thing. I'd forgotten about the 250 and 500, even though I've spent a lot of time on the 250s during MSF classes. Mr. Leo does have a really pretty place. What kind of mileage do you get on your Ninja 650 and how much gas is left when your low fuel light comes on?
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

My mileage ranges from 50 MPG to 70 MPG depending on riding style, wind, and speed. I got the 70 MPG while touring the Blue Ridge Parkway with saddlebags, tailbag, and tank bag on the bike.

I very seldom see the low fuel light come on because the sport bike riders I ride with require fuel before I do, :-) and I like to put the bike away with a full tank of fuel.

If I remember correctly, I would normally put in 3 gallons of fuel when the low fuel light comes on. Where I ride I could be 30 miles to a filling station if I stick to my route, so it's nice to know that when the light flashes and gets your attention that there is still a gallon or more of fuel left in the tank.
2010 Voyager 1700
Robert in Arkansas

Cool. I'm going to add some of that to my story if you don't mind.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”