Ball and hitch

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Charlie from Illinois
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Ball and hitch

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

Do you guys ever use grease or Never Seize or slip plate on the inside of the tongue of your trailer hitch to keep it moving smooth? I know on a semi that you grease the plate for the trailer but I didn't know if it would make a difference on a small trailer. :hmm:
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: Ball and hitch

Post by MTN99 »

Charlie,
I use a little WD40 on the hitch ball to keep the rust off nothing else.
Now if it was a swivel hitch things might be different, but then I think I would use graphite not grease, molyplate or anything that might collect dirt.
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

Your really not supposed to put anything on the ball or in the hitch.
If it makes the hitch move easier it may allow it to pop off.
That being said.Make sure the mechanisms are clean and fit snuggly on the ball without binding.
This will eliminate any unwanted noises and keep your trailer trailing.
Putting a cover on the ball is probably better than polishing the chrome although the polish looks better.
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

I use a thin film of vasoline on the hitch ball to reduce friction from the ball and a dry trailer tongue. I started doing this after hearing a groan through turns while pulling my trailer several years ago. My tongue is really snug on the ball which probably causes friction from the two dry surfaces rubbing against each other. I place a thin film of vaseline at the top and sides of the ball. The vaseline is easy to wipe off after removing the trailer and also protects the ball. My ball is 8 years old with over 10 thousand miles of towing on it, so the wear on the ball could also be something to consider. I read in a motorcycle trailer towing tips article last week (I can't remember which site it was on) that recommended putting a coat of vasoline on the ball of the hitch.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I have seen people on the Motorcycle Trailer Towing forum talk about putting a piece of wax paper on the ball.

If you're going to use grease, just a little dab will do ya. I also bring a few paper towels or a rag, so that I can clean the ball after detaching the trailer once we arrive at the destination. You don't want to brush up against the greasy ball with your shin.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Charlie from Illinois

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

thanks guys :clap:
Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Rusty - SC Iowa »

Chris near Kansas City wrote: You don't want to brush up against the greasy ball with your shin.
Whenever I have encountered a trailer hitch ball by accident, I didn't just brush up against it. Afterwards I was either on the ground or hopping around on one foot, where I was usually :cry2: and a little grease wasn't even in the equation of what I was worrying about.

I have trailered everything from little 8' trailers up to 35' goosenecks and fifth wheels, and have always greased the ball - except once. When we moved from Anchorage to here I pulled a 22' enclosed trailer and forgot to grease a brand new ball. :bat: After almost 3,000 miles and only 90 miles from home the trailer departed from the tow vehicle. After getting stopped and peeling my wife from the roof of the cab, I found the ball extremely worn. Needless to say I have never forgotten to grease the ball since.
Still plowin.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Rusty - SC Iowa wrote:Whenever I have encountered a trailer hitch ball by accident, I didn't just brush up against it.
Well, there are "encounters", and then there are "brushes". I'd rather have a brush with a skunk than an encounter with it, LOL. Now, combing a skunk, I'd have to think about that.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Rusty - SC Iowa »

Chris near Kansas City wrote:Well, there are "encounters", and then there are "brushes". I'd rather have a brush with a skunk than an encounter with it, LOL. Now, combing a skunk, I'd have to think about that.
I have had both a brush and an encounter with those cute little fury things, and both times I was not welcome in the house. I guess for me there is no difference between the two.
Still plowin.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

I have had neither, a brush, nor an encounter with Nicole Kidman. I can tell you, there is definitely, a difference between the two. Either way, I too, would not be allowed in the house.

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”