Camping trailer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Rick near Kansas city
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 VOYAGER XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Camping trailer

Post by Rick near Kansas city »

Can any one help with who makes the BACKWOODS BUNGALOW camping trailer? Comets on the unit ?
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Camping trailer

Post by Bill O »

Rick near Kansas city wrote:Can any one help with who makes the BACKWOODS BUNGALOW camping trailer? Comets on the unit ?

Rick,
If I am not mistaken, the Backwoods Bungalo was Manufactured by "Backwoods Bungalow, Inc, in South Dakota, rapid City area, I believe. I have one that I bought out of a storage facility sale. They are nice little units. I don't believe the company is still in business.

As hard as I have tried, I can not find a manufacturers ID plate anywhere on my unit. (Or any location where one may have been previously located.)

Comments:

It is a nice (off the ground) tent trailer for motorcycles. The front dressing area on older models is not very roomy, so no dance parties in there! The tenting support pole go together nicely, but it is like errecting an old cabin tent on the ground. (Most newer tent trailer for bike are set up with integrated tent support poles that fold open with the tenting material.) With the "Bungalo", you errect the poles onto the open trailer, then drape and secure the tenting material over the poles. I would guess it would take a couple of people about 1/2 an hour to set up.

This trailer is a little heavier than newer generations of motorcycle trailer, but as long as it is not loaded heavy, will pull nicely behind a Voyager size bike.

Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Raven

Post by Raven »

Hey Bill,
I had a Martin Camper made up in Washington state I believe, think there out of business now, Have you ever heard of them ?......I really liked that trailer it had a kitchen unit and large dressing area, drawback was that it was very heavy.......ended up trading it for a trike...I am now considering the Timeout camper from Wiko industries here in Arizona....do you have any thoughts on this camper ? thanks for any and all input....Raven
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Raven,
Can't say I've hear of the Martin. But, Have seen those with kitchens......

This is a Scooter Schooner that has a pull out kitchen unit.

As for the Timeout, the one thing that I really like is that you are completely off the ground. The one thing I not sure about is that once it is open, you are living in the storage space.

ImageImage

I'm still partial to my Aspen Classic.......

With it open, I still have all the area under the bed (trailer) as storage. Accessible both when set up or closed. Front area is large enough to have a table with four people playing poker on a rainy evening. (Ask me how I know this)

For those who want to go the route of pulling a Camper Trailer, there are more variations available than Carter got Liver Pills!

Enjoy,
Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Raven

Post by Raven »

Bill,
I called trailmasters and they are going to send me a DVD showing how it goes up, I like the idea of having your things stored out of sight, and your right that is one drawback with the Timeout, The other thing I like about Timeout is that it is built here in Arizona, I could pick it up locally, Trailmaster is in Illinois I would be looking at about $400.00 for shipping and $150.00 for putting it on a pallet( HMmmm thought that would fall under shipping lol) :hmm: .
The timeout goes up real easy and is also off the ground they have a video right on there website,it looks like both campers have about the same options.
Anyway you gave me another option to look into and I thank you for that,Take care........Raven
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Raven wrote: Trailmaster is in Illinois I would be looking at about $400.00 for shipping and $150.00 for putting it on a pallet( HMmmm thought that would fall under shipping lol) ........Raven
hey Raven, $550.00 would be allot of gasoline if you choose to ride to Illinois and pull it back! Lets see, two nights motel fee's ........ oh wait a minute 1 night motel on the way up and one night camping on the way back since you'll have a camper with you! So if you figure $70-motel and $30-camping that still leaves you with $450 for gas. But then you would be putting on quite a few miles with out the misses if she couldn't work around the schedule.

If it was a 2500 mile round trip at 40mpg that would mean you would burn 63 gallons of fuel. At $2 per your only at $126 leaving you $324 for food and novelties along the way!
:thk:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Raven

Post by Raven »

Gee Scott, I think you got it all figured out, would you like a job as my personal assistant? :gig: and financial advisor, I can see you are well qualified.
In all seriousness if I end up buying the Voyager in New Jersey I could just swing by Illinois and pick up the trailer, if that is the one I decide on, and then I could stop and maybe get a cup of free coffee from Charlie :pray: Come to think of it I could stop by Pa. I think I know someone up in that country too :hmm: we will just have to see what happens, and thanks for the input...........Raven
Doug in South Dakota

Post by Doug in South Dakota »

I also have an Aspen Classic got it just a year ago....Not going to go into it but I have had my share of problems with it and them(Aspen) But they took vary Good care of me there customer service is GREAT...we had a Kompact Kamp for about 5years and it served us well...But it was time for somthing bigger and after looking at I think everything on the market we went with the Aspen and I don't think we will ever look back...If you do get an Aspen be sure you get the A/C duct kit with it...Really nice when your at a rally and it 100 out and you want to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon...The only bad thing I mite say is the awnings are a joke. Also the Calif King bed is huge
Raven

Post by Raven »

Doug,
Thanks for your input,sounds like they have excellent customer service and that is always a big plus...I am really torn between the two, like bill said being completely off the ground appeals to my wife, and the storage may not represent too much of a problem for us as we tend to go light on things we carry and once it is set up I guess you could just put some things on the bed :hmm: I am still waiting for the DVD to get here so I can see in action how the Aspen goes up...We have both decided to wait and check all features of both campers before we make a final decision......But again thanks to you and Bill for the information.....Raven

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”